Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
aries4972
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6890
Default Re: Tomlin focuses on penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I personally thought that call was EXTREMELY borderline. I didn't hear a whistle.
i would agree... Hines may have been a hair late on thet but thats his stye of play and I for one will take that 15yrds if it comes from a player giving their best effort as Hines always does..
aries4972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #12
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I love Ward, its just hits like that, "borderline" or "late" could cost the team 15 yards at a bad time in a key game. If you allow that penalty to be over looked, or tell Ward, "its ok, I didn't hear the whistle either" you're dooming yourself to late hits by other players.

Last year that plagued our team as much as Ben's interceptions. Late hits, 15 yard penalties must be prevented. Tomlin will surely address this with Ward. Not in a negative way, more along "Keep your head in the game, listen for the whistle, be a professional on every play." kind of way. Just a reminder that its a bad thing to start doing or thinking you can get away with.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:42 PM   #13
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,313 Times in 476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
I love Ward, its just hits like that, "borderline" or "late" could cost the team 15 yards at a bad time in a key game. If you allow that penalty to be over looked, or tell Ward, "its ok, I didn't hear the whistle either" you're dooming yourself to late hits by other players.

Last year that plagued our team as much as Ben's interceptions. Late hits, 15 yard penalties must be prevented. Tomlin will surely address this with Ward. Not in a negative way, more along "Keep your head in the game, listen for the whistle, be a professional on every play." kind of way. Just a reminder that its a bad thing to start doing or thinking you can get away with.
I hear you, Dino. Personally, I can live with penalties like the one Hines received much more easily than the STUPID celebration penalties that cost us 15 yards several times last year. I can live with aggressive penalties, not boneheaded celebration penalties. However, like Tomlin, I would prefer to see no penalties at all.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #14
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Fansince76

Totally agree, those gosh darn celebration penalties make me insane. Nothing like a big stop on 3rd down being negated by a taunting penalty or a first down being brought back 15 yards for excessive celebration. They make me nuts.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #15
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
Fansince76

Totally agree, those gosh darn celebration penalties make me insane. Nothing like a big stop on 3rd down being negated by a taunting penalty or a first down being brought back 15 yards for excessive celebration. They make me nuts.

Hey Dino...

I understand what your saying...

But I will tell you this... I would much rather take a 15 yard penalty for a late hit, then the delay of game penalty we took because the ball was thrown after a first down by the receiver.

I know, you said those kind of penalties drive you nuts as well.

So I think we are in agreement... Let em get a 15 yarder or two because of aggression, as long as we don't get the celebration or mental error penalties.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #16
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Preacher, I can totally see your point in wanting agression. I just got so tired of it last year all alround with the yellow flags. Even Troy P got a couple 15 yarders last year and it seemed to be a total lack of dicipline on the entire team more than anything else.

The Celebration penalties are inexcusable and I will throw my "fake" brick at the tv everytime I see us flagged for one of those.

The 15 yards for agressive play is ok, as long as its not too often and doesn't become a trend that the refs start looking for from our players.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #17
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Tomlin is right. The Steelers were awesome, but they could've done better. We left several points out there. The WR drops, Willie's fumble...

Tomlin wants the full effort out of this team. He wants a smart, focused, aggressive team with some fire and intensity on O and D. I'm sold on Tomlin. One thing that alarmed me was when he came in, he wanted to mold this team around the strengths of the players. Not force them into hs own schemes and philosophy. Not establish an "identity". The 3-4 was the staple of the Steelers Defense for years. Tomlin's a 4-3 guy. But what did he do? He kept Lebeau and uncuffed him. Now DL can work the Defense anyway he pleases. Those little things are what makes me glad Tomlin is the Steelers coach.

Of course, wait until our first loss...
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #18
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4779

Tomlin is going to keep these guys amped-up for the duration. If any team will deserve a vacation at the end of the season it will be the Steelers. Hopefully, that break will not come until mid February.
yinzer-inseattle is offline   Reply With Quote