Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 09-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,810 Times in 3,693 Posts
Default "we?re a developing world champion right now"

some good stuff in this short interview. primarily the 2 quotes below.

http://news.steelers.com/article/81333/

Quote:
Hearing from Coach Mike Tomlin

Throughout the 2007 season, Coach Mike Tomlin will answer questions exclusively for Steelers Digest and Steelers.com. The following is one of those sessions. For the complete interview, pick up the latest issue of Steelers Digest.

Q. After the final roster cut-down, you made the statement that you wanted the competition within the team to continue. Has it been your experience that guys have a tendency to relax after they make the team?

A. It?s human nature to breathe a sigh of relief at times, and we have to make a conscious effort to resist that if we want to continue to move forward. The reality is that whichever team is going to be the Super Bowl champion this year is not as good now as they?re going to be in February. So we have to respect that element of it if we?re going to be a candidate for that. We have to continue to grow and develop, and that?s the point I?m trying to get across to them. We?re into September, we?re playing games for keeps, but we have to keep moving upward and onward. If we?re going to be a world champion, we?re a developing world champion right now.

Q. During the early phase of training camp, you said you were going to select the team captains. You changed your mind and let the players vote. Why?

A. Coming into this thing, I prepared for the worst and hoped for the best, in terms of the transition. That?s the way I?ve approached every day with respect to this job. From a preparation standpoint, I was prepared to select captains if I didn?t have a feel for what this team would be capable of in that regard. The more I spend with these guys, the more we do what we do, I?m very comfortable with where they are mentally. The way they love and respect this game, the level of camaraderie they have. I trust those guys to make good decisions in that regard, and that?s why I gave it to them.

But again, what you prepare for and what you hope sometimes for are two different things. Actually, in this case, like a lot of things as it relates to this team, it was more toward my hopes than what I was prepared to deal with.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: "we?re a developing world champion right now"

I must say I really like what I have seen from Tomlin so far. He seems to be a great motivator like Cowher used to be but wasn't last year. The Steelers may or may not be a Super Bowl caliber team this year (that awaits to be seen) but I think they are on the right track to be in the playoffs and head back in that direction again. They just need to take care of a few correctible flaws (which can be accomplished because we have the talent to do it) and we could be on our way again. We just need to avoid those costly mistakes from last year and we should be AWESOME.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote