Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #11
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Re: At this point in the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Yep, so far so good, but like I said in another thread, God help Tomlin when this team loses a game.
It has to happen sometime, but I think the specifics of how the loss happens will determine the reaction. If it's due to shoddy execution and Ben making poor decisions, then I think you're right. If it's a hard fought, well played game where it's close but we come up a little short, maybe not so much outrage.

Depending on how the next few games go for both teams, the Dec. 9th meeting with New England is shaping up as a major marquee game.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #12
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
It has to happen sometime, but I think the specifics of how the loss happens will determine the reaction. If it's due to shoddy execution and Ben making poor decisions, then I think you're right. If it's a hard fought, well played game where it's close but we come up a little short, maybe not so much outrage.
I wish I could share your feelings on that, but I think in those two cases the reaction will either be bad, or worse, respectively. After all, we blow away our first two opponents, but "we haven't played anybody yet." Let's face it, it's hard being the Steelers' HC - as fans we, by and large, are very stingy with the praise but overgenerous with the criticism, and the same goes with the media. But I hope you're right. Besides, I don't think Tomlin cares what the fans/media think about him, and that's good.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:17 PM   #13
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

i have to agree with you about that.. i dont think tomlin cares what we or the media thinks about him. he was brought here to win football games and in the words of his mother.. she will be holding an lombardi trophy soon.. (i hope she is right).
it seems that the players want to go out and play for him and give him their all unlike last year where they didnt seem to care and would rather be out partying with the ladies than on a football field

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #14
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I wish I could share your feelings on that, but I think in those two cases the reaction will either be bad, or worse, respectively. After all, we blow away our first two opponents, but "we haven't played anybody yet." Let's face it, it's hard being the Steelers' HC - as fans we, by and large, are very stingy with the praise but overgenerous with the criticism. But I hope you're right. Besides, I don't think Tomlin cares what the fans/press think about him, and that's good.
I definitely agree with your assessment of how hard we tend to be on the team -- coaches AND players, IMO -- and how critical we are when we don't like their performance. It doesn't help that Tomlin came in after the 2006 "letdown" season, and that after two seemingly dominating performances this season, the expectations are rising exponentially. This team will lose sometime this season. We don't know where and when yet, but they will, unless they plan to replace the '72 Dolphins (hope springs eternal, right?).

Even so, I don't think the fans or the media will slam Tomlin for that first loss, unless as I said before it's a poorly executed game and/or there are obvious coaching errors (clock management, questionable play calling, etc.). If the loss is obviously a result of poor game planning and preparation -- something that already is unthinkable to me given what appears to be Tomlin's amazing organizational and prep skills -- and coaching issues directly cause or contribute to the loss, then he will definitely take the heat, and lots of it.

Not that, as you so astutely noticed, Tomlin will care in the least what any of us think! Come to think of it, that's probably one of the best attributes a Steelers head coach could ever possess -- a VERY thick skin.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #15
FastWillieParker39
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4348

Everyone says how we played two weak teams and everything. See thats the thing WE WERE SUPPOSED TO DOMINATE THE BROWNS AND THE BILLS and we did. This Steeler team just looks so different from last year. We struggled against weak teams early on and this team isn't.

Like I said in another thread, the Steelers could take the AFC North.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #16
skinart82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3485

The Bengals were supposed to dominate the browns too, but they didn't and the Steelers did. That gives me a lot of hope against the bengals and the ravens!
skinart82 is offline   Reply With Quote