Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-18-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Leftwich to Atlanta / Tank Johnson to Dallas

Falcons, QB Leftwich agree to two-year deal
ESPN.com news services
Updated: September 18, 2007, 3:57 PM ET

The Falcons agreed to a two-year, $7 million contract with quarterback Byron Leftwich, sources told ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli.

Leftwich was cut by Jacksonville in a surprise preseason move as the Jaguars chose David Garrard as their starter. Ankle and knee problems have prevented Leftwich, 27, from completing a full season. He missed 15 games the past two years.

The Falcons are looking for immediate help at quarterback. Joey Harrington, who took over as the starter when Michael Vick was suspended by the NFL, has lost his first two starts with Atlanta and the offense is averaging only 10 points.

Leftwich could join the Falcons as Harrington's backup and eventually compete for the starting job.

Harrington has been sacked 13 times, and coach Bobby Petrino said Monday the quarterback is holding the ball too long and showing a lack of confidence in his play.

Harrington was 12-for-20 passing for 200 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions in a 13-7 loss to Jacksonville on Sunday.

Harrington's current backups are Chris Redman, who has not played in an NFL game since 2003, and Casey Bramlet, whose only professional experience came in Europe.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3025903

Cowboys sign suspended Tank

Johnson might not be available until Nov. 11

02:54 PM CDT on Tuesday, September 18, 2007
By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com

IRVING – Tank Johnson is a Cowboy.

According to his agent, Gerrold Colton, the Cowboys signed the suspended defensive tackle to a deal Tuesday – although they might have to wait until Nov. 11 at the earliest before he's in uniform.

Johnson has at most six games left on an eight-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy even though he has been unsigned. At the time, commissioner Roger Goodell announced Johnson's suspension, he left open the possibility of reducing it to six games, although Johnson would have to apply for early reinstatement.

The chances of Johnson's suspension being reduced to six games could have taken a hit when he was pulled over by Gilbert, Ariz., police for driving while impaired in June, although the charges were eventually dropped. The Bears released Johnson three days after the incident.

If Goodell upholds the eight-game suspension, then the earliest he could play would be Nov. 11 at the New York Giants. If the suspension is reduced to six games, he could debut Oct. 21 at Texas Stadium against Minnesota.

Under league rules, the Cowboys will have to release a player to make room for Johnson on the active roster for one day before he will revert to the team's suspended list.

Johnson, 25, spent his first three seasons with Chicago, coincidentally the Cowboys' opponent Sunday. In 46 games, he was credited with 63 tackles and nine sacks.

The Cowboys' interest in Johnson increased when starting nose tackle Jason Ferguson was lost for the season with a torn right biceps in Week 1. Jay Ratliff has replaced Ferguson in the starting lineup and the team re-signed Remi Ayodele as the backup.

The Cowboys had character concerns about Johnson when he entered the 2004 draft out of the University of Washington. Chicago drafted him in the second round.

In November 2005, he was arrested for concealed possession of a handgun. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor gun charge and was given 18 months probation. Three months later he was charged with aggravated assault and resisting arrest, but the charges were later dropped.

Last December, he was arrested possessing unlicensed weapons and charged with violating his probation, which followed him being placed on home confinement by a Cook County (Ill.) Judge, preventing him from driving by himself or leaving the state.

Shortly after Super Bowl XLI, Johnson pleaded guilty to violating his probation and was sentenced to 120 days in jail but was released early on May 13.

Johnson has been working out in Tempe, Ariz., during the suspension.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....e7f7b8c6.html
Old 09-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902
Default Re: Leftwich to Atlanta / Tank Johnson to Dallas

I heard this a little while ago. Tank could definatly help the cowboys out when his suspension is over as long as he stays in top shape. It might be a little hard for Leftwich to help the falcons anytime soon. I would think it would take sometime to pick up the system well enough to play right away.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

I guess Dallas sees its image slipping.

They struck out on T.O., he hasn't been nearly enough of a distraction.

Maybe Tank can shoot some life into criminal life out there in Dallas. After all... what's a Cowboy without his gun?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

atlanta also signed the ageless kicker andersen too... they are very deseparate

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,309 Times in 3,647 Posts

Maybe the Falcons think the NFC South is bad enough for them to be competitive, but signing a 47 year old kicker while waiting for two weeks to sign Leftwich after he was cut certainly looks desparate - now ATL can get back to its annual fall ritual of debating whether the decision to play a white or black QB is due to racism

IMO Leftwich signed only after he saw Boller will be the back-up to McNair in Baltimore this season
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,199 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Maybe the Falcons think the NFC South is bad enough for them to be competitive, but signing a 47 year old kicker while waiting for two weeks to sign Leftwich after he was cut certainly looks desparate....
I guess George Blanda wasn't available.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I guess George Blanda wasn't available.
No he wasn't. But apparently, Y.A. Tittle was seriously considering the offer to play QB for Atlanta. At 80 years old the only player in the league he could relate to would be Testaverdie.

I actually think Leftwitch is a good signing. He may not be a top tier QB, but then either is the talent around him. And, in any case, Leftwitch is a gamer, which is really what you need when you know you are going to struggle anyways.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Maybe the Falcons think the NFC South is bad enough for them to be competitive, but signing a 47 year old kicker while waiting for two weeks to sign Leftwich after he was cut certainly looks desparate - now ATL can get back to its annual fall ritual of debating whether the decision to play a white or black QB is due to racism

IMO Leftwich signed only after he saw Boller will be the back-up to McNair in Baltimore this season
EZ now, I'm 47. Mort is my last glimmer of hope.

I would have thought you could get Lefthamswich for a lot less than 3.5 per yr. Must have a hell of an agent.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Leftwich can read a defense. He's capable of being accurate. That's a good signing for the Falcons. Hopefully he can handle all that extra pressure he'll be facing since he's a black QB in the NFL.

Tank Johnson to the Cowboys, huh? Looks like Jerry Jones is jealous of all the bad press the Bengals have been getting, and he wants back in the mix as the most criminal team (Ravens and Raiders deserve dishonorable mention here as well).
Old 09-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #10
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think both of these pick-ups were great moves that will def help there team

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote