Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #11
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: Lewis 'smug and condescending'

Cincy can have all the offense in the world, but until their D steps up their game, they will go nowhere. Offense sells tickets, Defense wins championships. Marlew should know that. He was the DC for the 2000 Ravens record-setting D.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

Smug and condescending is an understatement when it comes to this jackass.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #13
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
2. Kenny Irons?

I am not even going to go past this pick. If all the reports that Rudi Johnson is still a great back are true then why did the team go here? What in the world is going on with Chris Perry? Wasn't he a first round pick?
Rudi is still a great back, but over the last 4 years or so he's had more carries than any back in the league. You have to believe that's gonna take a toll on him eventually. Kenny Irons was a logical pick at that spot being that there weren't really any good defensive options at that point and Chris Perry couldn't stay healthy if his life depended on it. Had Kenny not gotten injured, it would have been a good pick as he would've ideally taken some of the workload off of Rudi.

Quote:
The to do list for the Bengals should be as follows.

1. Consider your options at the head coaching position.
I think this is the make-or-break year for Marvin. If he doesn't lead a team with as much talent as the Bengals to at least a wildcard berth, then he really isn't getting the job done.

Quote:
2. FIX THE DEFENSE. Trade some guys away, god knows you don't need help on offense. This also presents an opportunity to clean up the image a bit - Trade Chris Henry... He could start for a few teams.
That would be an ideal situation, but good quality trades are hard to come by these days. The only way the Bengals could get better is if they traded for a stud defensive player and what all would they have to give up to get that? In a perfect world you could trade away TJ because you have Chris Henry who's younger and got more potential, but can he stay out of trouble long enough to get on the field? Trading Chris Henry would be tough, because very few teams would be willing to take his baggage and give up very much value for him.

Quote:
3. Give Palmer even more input about everything - The offense, the players he likes / doesn't and just the team in general. Right now I think Palmer could coach this team better than Lewis.
I think Palmer should have free reign as far as the offense goes. Actually, up to this point, he has had quite a bit of control over the offense. In the offseason he lobbied the Bengals to bring back Kenny Watson and Reggie Kelly and they did. And the majority of the time on offense Carson is calling his own plays.

Quote:
Get some LBers for god's sake. Odell is unreliable, Hartwell is injury prone and I haven't seen him yet this season despite the fact that you paid him all kinds of money. The Bungles could have signed a run stopper in Trotter but missed their chance on that too...
Ed Hartwell isn't on the team anymore and the Bengals didn't pay him much to begin with. He was cut before the regular season began. The Bengals passed on Trotter and picked up Lemar Marshall, who has been a pretty solid player up to this point. One of the Bengals' problems is that they were expecting Odell to be available this season and when he wasn't it left them scrambling to fill spots. Ahmad Brooks showed a lot of promise in the first game against the Ravens, but then missed the Browns game (hopefully there's a correlation with the results there). But other than Brooks, they really don't have any game-changing players in the linebacking corps (players that Odell and Pollack were supposed to be).

Quote:
I just don't get anything that happens in Cincinnati anymore. So much for the young, good Steelers - Bengals rivalry...
The extent of the Bengals problems is this: they need to play decent defense. You have guys missing tackles, guys making rookie mistakes, and guys not getting to the quarterback. But I think the main problem is the playcalling...I'm really starting to question Chuck Bresnahan's defensive schemes. If things don't start improving, maybe Marvin should pull a Billick, fire the Bresnahan, and start calling the plays himself, being that he is a "defensive genius."
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #14
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
Rudi is still a great back, but over the last 4 years or so he's had more carries than any back in the league. You have to believe that's gonna take a toll on him eventually. Kenny Irons was a logical pick at that spot being that there weren't really any good defensive options at that point and Chris Perry couldn't stay healthy if his life depended on it. Had Kenny not gotten injured, it would have been a good pick as he would've ideally taken some of the workload off of Rudi.

I think this is the make-or-break year for Marvin. If he doesn't lead a team with as much talent as the Bengals to at least a wildcard berth, then he really isn't getting the job done.

That would be an ideal situation, but good quality trades are hard to come by these days. The only way the Bengals could get better is if they traded for a stud defensive player and what all would they have to give up to get that? In a perfect world you could trade away TJ because you have Chris Henry who's younger and got more potential, but can he stay out of trouble long enough to get on the field? Trading Chris Henry would be tough, because very few teams would be willing to take his baggage and give up very much value for him.

I think Palmer should have free reign as far as the offense goes. Actually, up to this point, he has had quite a bit of control over the offense. In the offseason he lobbied the Bengals to bring back Kenny Watson and Reggie Kelly and they did. And the majority of the time on offense Carson is calling his own plays.

Ed Hartwell isn't on the team anymore and the Bengals didn't pay him much to begin with. He was cut before the regular season began. The Bengals passed on Trotter and picked up Lemar Marshall, who has been a pretty solid player up to this point. One of the Bengals' problems is that they were expecting Odell to be available this season and when he wasn't it left them scrambling to fill spots. Ahmad Brooks showed a lot of promise in the first game against the Ravens, but then missed the Browns game (hopefully there's a correlation with the results there). But other than Brooks, they really don't have any game-changing players in the linebacking corps (players that Odell and Pollack were supposed to be).

The extent of the Bengals problems is this: they need to play decent defense. You have guys missing tackles, guys making rookie mistakes, and guys not getting to the quarterback. But I think the main problem is the playcalling...I'm really starting to question Chuck Bresnahan's defensive schemes. If things don't start improving, maybe Marvin should pull a Billick, fire the Bresnahan, and start calling the plays himself, being that he is a "defensive genius."
That was my point about Rudi - everything you hear coming out of Cincy (nationally) is that he is still a beast. That's why, even though I personally believed he was slowing down just a bit last season; I was surprised they took Irons just based on that popular belief.

I haven't seen anything since early 05' that supports Lewis as a decent HC.

I honestly think Henry, if indeed he could stay out of trouble, is a better receiver than TJ... But seeing as I really don't think the team would trade Housh (Chad wouldn't allow it =P) I thought trading Henry was a more practical suggestion. Lol - I bet the Eagles would take him. Also, Dallas just signed Tank so... There isn't a complete boycott on troubled guys...

The only thing with Palmer right now is the question that Manning had - Can he win when it counts? I believe that if the situation came along he could. But we still have to see that from him.

Hartwell got cut? The numbers I saw when he was first signed away from the Falcons suggested that he would get a fair amount of playing time... But who knows, I guess most of that money could have been circumstantial.

If the team could fix its defense, and prove they can play in January then I think we could talk... But until then - Same old bungles... -Good talk
Old 09-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #15
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Lewis answers are somewhat interesting for me. That's all I'll say
Old 09-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #16
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Why not face the facts? Lewis lost control of his team late in the 2005 season. When Chad is running around on the sideline in future HOF crap, he's a distraction (In Cincy they are probably just happy he's not clocking coaches in the locker room). When your team is slapping itself on the back because they've only had one arrest in the last few months that's a bad thing. When you let Cleveland's mediocre offense run roughshod over you in a game you should be win by 14 points, you are in trouble. To be honest, outside of a few players, I'm not even sure the Bengals are all that talented. Name me even two Bengals defensive players who could take their counterparts jobs on the Steelers? There aren't more on the offensive side either, when you figure in other issues.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #17
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Why not face the facts? Lewis lost control of his team late in the 2005 season. When Chad is running around on the sideline in future HOF crap, he's a distraction (In Cincy they are probably just happy he's not clocking coaches in the locker room). When your team is slapping itself on the back because they've only had one arrest in the last few months that's a bad thing. When you let Cleveland's mediocre offense run roughshod over you in a game you should be win by 14 points, you are in trouble. To be honest, outside of a few players, I'm not even sure the Bengals are all that talented. Name me even two Bengals defensive players who could take their counterparts jobs on the Steelers? There aren't more on the offensive side either, when you figure in other issues.
Very true.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:58 PM   #18
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Why not face the facts? Lewis lost control of his team late in the 2005 season. When Chad is running around on the sideline in future HOF crap, he's a distraction (In Cincy they are probably just happy he's not clocking coaches in the locker room). When your team is slapping itself on the back because they've only had one arrest in the last few months that's a bad thing. When you let Cleveland's mediocre offense run roughshod over you in a game you should be win by 14 points, you are in trouble. To be honest, outside of a few players, I'm not even sure the Bengals are all that talented. Name me even two Bengals defensive players who could take their counterparts jobs on the Steelers?
The Bengals problems are on defense...it's not like the whole team is melting down....but their defense is indeed horrible.

Quote:
There aren't more on the offensive side either, when you figure in other issues.
I'll give you the defense for sure, but offense? C'mon, man.
Carson Palmer > Ben Roethlisberger
Jeremi Johnson > Carey Davis
Rudi Johnson < Willie Parker
Levi Jones > Marvel Smith
Stacey Andrews < Alan Faneca
Eric Ghiaciuc > Sean Mahan
Bobbie Williams < Kendall Simmons
Willie Anderson > Willie Colon
Reggie Kelly < Heath Miller
Chad Johnson > Hines Ward
TJ Houshmandzadeh > Santonio Holmes

That's 7 Bengals and 4 Steelers.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #19
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
The Bengals problems are on defense...it's not like the whole team is melting down....but their defense is indeed horrible.

A Super Bowl winning QB without Pro Bowl honors vs. a Pro Bowl QB without a Super Bowl ring. Enough said.

Quote:
I may have to give you that one, though I still feel Dan Kreider is heads above Johnson and 99.9% of all FBs in the NFL.

Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
B]Levi Jones[/B] > Marvel Smith
Both are Pro-Bowl tackles. Marvel Smith is one of the most underrated in the league, IMHO.

Quote:
Agreed. Hands down.

Quote:
Disagree. Mahan has played very well in his first season as the Steelers starting C. That guy could stop a Mack truck.

Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
You're kidding, right?

Quote:
CJ can't smell where Hines shit last. Hines will be wearing a REAL HOF jacket one day. CJ will still be wearing his replica.

Quote:
At this point in their respective careers, yes. Santo is going to be a Top 10 WR in the NFL in a couple of years - you heard it here first.

[/QUOTE]

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:18 PM   #20
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,416 Posts

[QUOTE=CantStop85;296533]The Bengals problems are on defense...it's not like the whole team is melting down....but their defense is indeed horrible.

Levi Jones > Marvel Smith

That's 7 Bengals and 4 Steelers.[/QUOTE]

actually ...THAT'S...just your opinions....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote