Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Will the wheels fall off of Parker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
All the other backs named played 3 or 4 years of college ball, where in some cases they got the ball on more than half the plays. Parker basically skipped his entire college career.

I think he'll be just fine, and he'll end his career as one of the best backs to ever play the game.

Tom
You know, that was my exact thoughts as I read through this as well. Willie has four less years of wear and tear on his body. ON top of that, he also isn't a "run to darkness" type of back. He looks for the holes, and then explodes through them. He doesn't look to hit people, but to run around them. With his speed, that is very possible as well.

So I am not as worried about it. On top of that, he is also not going to carry the ball that much. With Ben passing, with Najeh and Carrey Davis... WIllie will get the ball probably around 300 times this year.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:59 AM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,805 Times in 4,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
You know, that was my exact thoughts as I read through this as well. Willie has four less years of wear and tear on his body. ON top of that, he also isn't a "run to darkness" type of back. He looks for the holes, and then explodes through them. He doesn't look to hit people, but to run around them. With his speed, that is very possible as well.

there were a few runs sunday where willie had turned the corner and was looking for db's to light up. hes definitely tough and doesnt shy away from contact. i would have no problem with him stepping out of bounds but he rarely does it.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
there were a few runs sunday where willie had turned the corner and was looking for db's to light up. hes definitely tough and doesnt shy away from contact. i would have no problem with him stepping out of bounds but he rarely does it.
You're right. My point was that when given the opportunity to run to daylight, or hit someone, he will run to daylight for more yards (the OB line is a different story, he does step in and drill people). However, someone like Jerome busts through the line, and then seems to turn right at the LB to drill em. That is what I meant.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #14
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

I love Willie but it does not hurt to pull him here and there to give him a break. IMO keeping him fresh throughout the game will make him all that more effective. Just look at Tomlinson he doesn't get every carry Turner gets quite a few carries during the season and Tomlinson is arguebly the best player in the league. With the depth we have at runningback and the promise the young guys have show I see no problem in giving Davis or Russell some of Willie's carries.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #15
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

I seem to recall reading that age 29 is a pivotal year for a running back, in terms of how quickly he is likely to decline. Willie turns 27 in a couple months, so in another two years, we should have a pretty good idea of where he's heading.

Sitting out most of his college career will prove to be a huge advantage for him, I think.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #16
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
I seem to recall reading that age 29 is a pivotal year for a running back, in terms of how quickly he is likely to decline. Willie turns 27 in a couple months, so in another two years, we should have a pretty good idea of where he's heading.

Sitting out most of his college career will prove to be a huge advantage for him, I think.
Completly agree with you...Why the hell didn't his college coach play him oh well we should send him a thank you card for keeping him fresh for us.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #17
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quit treating these professional athletes like they are china dolls for God's sake! If FWP wants the ball more - give it to him!! I would think he, better than anyone, knows his own limitations and from what I've seen, he hasn't even come close to reaching those yet.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #18
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog View Post
Why the hell didn't his college coach play him
Bunting wanted him to put on a few more extra pounds because he was attempting to establish a power running game.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:01 PM   #19
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Parker's new uniform in order to appease some fans and media heads......

Old 09-19-2007, 02:47 PM   #20
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,309 Times in 3,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Quit treating these professional athletes like they are china dolls for God's sake! If FWP wants the ball more - give it to him!! I would think he, better than anyone, knows his own limitations and from what I've seen, he hasn't even come close to reaching those yet.
Well Earl Campbell thought he knew his limitations and now he spends his weekends on only one floor of his house because he cannot take the stairs and can barely move. Campbell was pretty much shot after his 4th year in the NFL (the second number in the chart is carries and the third # is total yards)

1978 302 1450 4.8
1979 368 1697 4.6
1980 373 1934 5.2
1981 361 1376 3.8
1982 157 538 3.4

I forget who said it, but running the ball 25 times in a NFL game is like being in 25 auto accidents every Sunday afternoon. A career can end on any play, but the more plays you run the sooner your skills run out.

One job of a coach is to save players from their own illusions of immortality (e.g. - one reason i was pi**ed at Cowher last year was bringing Ben back from injures so quickly).

Willie P. is a talent and I would hate for him to burn out too soon.

Coach Tomlin - Save Willie!
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote