Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,489 Times in 3,733 Posts
Default ESPN/Bill Simmons NFL Pointspreads Podcast

I trash him for being hopelessly in the tank for the Pats, but Bill Simmons has a pretty good working knowledge of the NFL. If you want some incisive comments on this week's games (or might actually bet, which is, as we all know, illegal ) attached is a link to Simmons and "Cousin Sal" discussing this week's spreads

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...ast&id=3026348

FWIW, Simmons and Sal have the Steelers as 1 of the top 3 teams right now and Sal thinks they are ahead of the Colts.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: ESPN/Bill Simmons NFL Pointspreads Podcast

I think its a little bit of an overreaction to have the Steelers so high (and sure I know some people have no time for power rankings) after two games against medicore opposition.

I think they are balanced and possibly have the best shot at postseason success out of all the etams in the AFCN - but to put them above the Colts?

Thats a little much at this point - Indy is as smooth as ever on offense and the run D seems closer to the post season 06 effort than the awful regular season 06.

If i had to pick a line to follow this week (for strictly non-betting purposes, of course) it would be Chargers -4.5 - I think they are going to win by 20.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,489 Times in 3,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I think its a little bit of an overreaction to have the Steelers so high (and sure I know some people have no time for power rankings) after two games against medicore opposition.

I think they are balanced and possibly have the best shot at postseason success out of all the etams in the AFCN - but to put them above the Colts?

Thats a little much at this point - Indy is as smooth as ever on offense and the run D seems closer to the post season 06 effort than the awful regular season 06.

If i had to pick a line to follow this week (for strictly non-betting purposes, of course) it would be Chargers -4.5 - I think they are going to win by 20.
As I have posted elsewhere, it is not the BCS poll where your "ranking" matters, but the Colts win over the Saints looks a lot less impressive after what happened in Tampa Bay and the Colts were fortunate to win in Tennessee.

Simmons will never cut the Colts any slack but it is not as if he is a Steelers homer.
But it of course does not matter - unlike the BCS all good teams will get to compete for the title in January (plus several teams in the NFC who would be sub-.500 in the AFC this year)

FWIW I think you are looking at last year's Packers and Chargers with your Chargers by 20 prediction - that Chargers team has some coaching transition issues and is making another cross country trip after a Sunday night game.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
As I have posted elsewhere, it is not the BCS poll where your "ranking" matters, but the Colts win over the Saints looks a lot less impressive after what happened in Tampa Bay and the Colts were fortunate to win in Tennessee.

Simmons will never cut the Colts any slack but it is not as if he is a Steelers homer.
But it of course does not matter - unlike the BCS all good teams will get to compete for the title in January (plus several teams in the NFC who would be sub-.500 in the AFC this year)

FWIW I think you are looking at last year's Packers and Chargers with your Chargers by 20 prediction - that Chargers team has some coaching transition issues and is making another cross country trip after a Sunday night game.
Fair points one and all.

I agree that I am basing that prediction based upon last years performance - but alot of key personell remains on both teams.

I think this will be LT's breakout week, Favre will probably throw upward of 3 INT's and he'll get sacked a bunch.

35-13 or something like that.

Being as online gambling is still kosher over here im going to put some money on the Chargers at -4.5
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:41 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,242 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post

didn't indy just almost lose to one of them mediocre teams ??? has tennessee been bumped up too the, "elite" ,ranks during the offseason ???

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote