Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-19-2007, 11:42 PM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Tomlin Turns the Wizard Loose

Great Article - To bad Cowher put the cuffs on Coach Dad what a waste. But what a great defensive teacher for Tomlin I'm betting the guy is soaking it up like a sponge.

http://postgazette.com/pg/07263/819027-66.stm

Tomlin turns The Wizard loose
Thursday, September 20, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana / Post-Gazette

Brett Keisel, right, celebrates with Aaron Smith after sacking Charlie Frye in the opener against Cleveland.

Bill Cowher auctioned off some personal possessions when he quit as Steelers coach and left town for Raleigh, N.C.

One thing he apparently took with him was the leash he held on defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

The Steelers' defense, still conducted by LeBeau under new coach Mike Tomlin, is performing more exotic maneuvers than ever, players say. And they say there is one reason for it -- LeBeau has more freedom under Tomlin to do what he wants than he did under Cowher.

"I think he does way more than he did [before], actually," safety Troy Polamalu said. "I don't think they've put any reins on coach LeBeau from what I know of. I think from the past, I think now he probably has more control of the defense."

Players and coaches, on and off the record, say LeBeau has the freedom to call what he wants, when he wants under Tomlin, a freedom he did not previously have under Cowher.

"I do, I do," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "I think he's getting to call whatever he wants, and the call is sticking."

So is his defense. After two games, the Steelers rank third overall in yards allowed -- fifth against the run, third against the pass -- and they are No. 1 in points allowed and first downs allowed.

They also have 10 sacks and rank second in the NFL in sacks per passing play. That gives them a jump on blowing past their 2006 season total of 39, which tied for third-fewest under Cowher.

The Steelers long had a dominant defense during Cowher's 15-year reign, so whether he held more control over what LeBeau did or not may not matter to the bottom line. But there's no denying LeBeau has more freedom to call what he wants this season than he did before.

Part of the reason for the increase in sacks, players say, is the movement of the defenders. LeBeau has players running all over the place, more so than before.

"Yeah, I think we're a lot more active," Polamalu said. "We're not as conservative. We're kind of initiating what the offense needs to do and not reacting to what they are doing."

No one jumped around from place to place more often than Polamalu in previous seasons; now, he's not the only one doing it.

"I think it means more running around for everybody," Polamalu said. "Guys are moving around more, we have new packages. Guys are feeling a lot more comfortable with everything."

LeBeau was unavailable for comment yesterday, but Polamalu suggested one big reason for the freedom his coordinator has this year:

"New coach, I would think."

Among the differences on defense this season are the rotation of the defensive line, the use of Keisel in different spots, a true four-man line of down linemen on occasion, cornerbacks playing safety and safeties playing cornerback, and the movement of various players as Polamalu suggested. For example, one of Clark Haggans' two sacks came in Cleveland when the left outside linebacker lined up on the right side and rushed from there.

"I wouldn't say it's a lot of different things," linebacker James Harrison said, "just putting people in different places than where they were before, moving them around and not seeing the same guy come every time."

That's reflected in the sack total, too. Nine players share the 10 sacks, led by Haggans' two.

"I think everybody's expected to be a pass rusher," Polamalu said.

Linebacker Larry Foote, like most starters, has one sack.

"The first game, a lot of guys were coming free, a lot of schemes were getting to him," Foote said. "But last week, the DBs were doing an excellent job. I remember the one I had, he tried to throw the ball, check down, and Deshea [Townsend] jumped the receiver, so he had to hold it and I got the sack. The DBs are doing a great job back there."

Foote also figures LeBeau has more freedom to run his 3-4 defense, but also received different input from Tomlin, whose previous experience was coaching a 4-3 defense with a cover-2 philosophy.

"I don't really know if coach Cowher used to hold him back like people said, but you never know," Foote said. "This is his defense, and Tomlin's never really been in the 3-4 fire zone defense, so I'm quite sure it's LeBeau's show. He put new wrinkles in that Tomlin helped him [with]. They're both defensive guys so they're putting stuff together.

"Dick LeBeau's the wizard of defense, everybody knows that."

And now, apparently, a wizard unleashed.

Last edited by I-Want-Troy's-Hair; 09-19-2007 at 11:53 PM.
I-Want-Troy's-Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:15 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Tomlin Turns the Wizard Loose

Funny...

I KEEP coming back to this... Our defense HAS improved a good deal... and it has done so because of SCHEME. Our DB's are doing better, and it seems, the scheme is working.

I wonder if Tomlin's idea of cover-2 isn't helping the receivers, thus freeing up the linebackers to spend another second or two coming into the backfield. I could SWEAR there were times when I saw plays devolve into cover two defenses.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:56 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,584 Times in 1,518 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I am reall excited about our deffense this year they are doing a great job keeping the passes to a minimun and gettting to the quarterback.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

10 sacks in 2 games by 9 different players...I don't care who we are playing that is awsome if they keep this up it's definatly going to be a year to remember.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

All I can say is;

LET THE BIG DOGS EAT!!!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I could SWEAR there were times when I saw plays devolve into cover two defenses.
Great observation, I wonder if that's the case, where they give one look and then switch to a cover-2.

I posted in the '3TE' thread (props Tony) that it seems the shackles are off on both offense and defense. We'll have to wait and see how everything plays out but so far so VERY good.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Part of the reason for the increase in sacks, players say, is the movement of the defenders. LeBeau has players running all over the place, more so than before.

"Yeah, I think we're a lot more active," Polamalu said. "We're not as conservative. We're kind of initiating what the offense needs to do and not reacting to what they are doing."

No one jumped around from place to place more often than Polamalu in previous seasons; now, he's not the only one doing it.

"I think it means more running around for everybody," Polamalu said. "Guys are moving around more, we have new packages. Guys are feeling a lot more comfortable with everything."
This has been very noticeable in the first two games and has obviously confused the hell out of the opposing O and their OC.

Though I understand a HC's position in being ultimately responsible for the whole enchilada, I've always believed that when a team is blessed to have outstanding coaches/coords, as the Steelers have in Dick Lebeau, they should be entrusted with making all of the the decisions and calls as they apply to their unit(s). As the article above states, it is pretty obvious that Coach Tomlin has complete faith in Lebeau and is letting him run the show defensively.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:25 PM   #8
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085

As good as Cowher is/was and as much as we loved him, fresh blood never hurts a successful team. Maybe its a good thing to have the dynamics of the 3-4 & Cover 2 mix and mingle. Who knows, maybe by the latter third of the year some great hybrid D will have been born!
Old 09-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Yes it is great - One thing though... Charlie Frye, J.P. Lossman? I know for a fact that the defense has improved, I am just interested to see what happens during the game I go to vs. the Seahawks... I think SF and AZ are pushovers and although Seattle has lost a lot (one game to AZ) I think that will be the hardest test for our defense by far up to that point.

Playing man coverage (Which is his strength) I am not worried about any receiver that Ike has to cover in the next few weeks... We will obviously be stopping the run... I will be watching Deshea to see if he can keep his elevated play this season up or if McFadden really should be in soon...
Old 09-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

And it's likely that LeBeau is too old to be considered a HC candidate by other teams, regardless of his continued success. He should retire as DC of the Steelers and go on to the HOF for his combined contributions as player and coach.