Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 09-21-2007, 05:29 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers deja vu all over again

Steelers deja vu all over again
Same formula for Pittsburgh
John Crumpacker, San Francisco Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Funny thing about the Pittsburgh Steelers: They change head coaches for only the second time in 38 years and they still look like the Pittsburgh Steelers.

They're 2-0, they run the ball well behind a stout offensive line and on defense, it's the Steel Curtain of the 21st century, having giving up 10 points in two games. It could be 1972 or 1992 as easily as it is 2007.

"You know you've got to come in there and hit and hit hard," 49ers defensive end Marques Douglas said. "I'm looking forward to it."

Willie Parker rushed for 235 yards as the Steelers easily beat Cleveland (34-7) and Buffalo (26-3). The equally 2-0 but far less impressive 49ers are next, Sunday at Heinz Field.

"We have a big challenge this week," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. "Pittsburgh has been a very good team for a long time ... The coaching change, I don't know what to say other than they stayed on line."

Starting 2-0 has made it much easier for the players to believe in new head coach Mike Tomlin, a 35-year-old disciplinarian who took over a Pittsburgh team coming off an 8-8 season, one year removed from the Super Bowl championship.

"So far, guys are buying in," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "He's a great coach. A guy coming in his first year, expectations are going to be high. Coach Tomlin, he wants to do it his way. It's not coach (Bill) Cowher's team. It's not coach (Chuck) Noll's team. It's his team. The 53 guys he decided to keep are the 53 guys he liked. We like the makeup of our team."

There is much to like about the 53 players Tomlin decided to keep. Ben Roethlisberger is trying to be the Roethlisberger he was in 2005 and not the quarterback he was in 2006. Alan Faneca is one of the best left guards in the NFL on one of the league's top offensive lines. Heath Miller is a more than capable tight end.

Ward, undeniably the happiest player in the league, was the MVP of Super Bowl XL and is probably the best blocking wide receiver in the game. He plays the game with a smile on his face and has actually been seen laughing after getting belted on a reception.

"I don't know about happiest," Ward said, doubtlessly smiling through the conference call from Pittsburgh. "I really enjoy what I do. I enjoy getting hit. I enjoy catching the ball and scoring touchdowns. I can't imagine any place I'd rather be. I enjoy every Sunday getting a chance to go up against the best of the best. It's a blessing."

Watching cornerback Nate Clements oppose Ward on pass routes should be one of the game-within-the-game highlights Sunday. Clements is off to a great start with his new team after putting the clamps on Arizona's Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald and St. Louis' Torry Holt.

"He's a great corner," Ward said. "He's a great tackler. He's very physical. He's one of the best corners in the league. They're not paying him all that money for nothing."

As for the Steelers defensively, the 49ers will be quick to realize these are not the Arizona Cardinals or the St. Louis Rams.

Casey Hampton is a floor safe with legs at nose tackle. Three of the four linebackers are known quantities in Clark Haggans, James Farrior and Larry Foote. And Troy Polamalu is the best strong safety in the league.

Center Eric Heitmann will get to know Hampton well, banging heads with the squat 325-pounder over the course of four quarters.

"He can't be moved," Tomlin said. "Casey Hampton is a heck of a player. He's very stout. At the same time, he's very quick. His athleticism is probably underrated."

Put this team on its home field at still-new-ish Heinz in front of fans who know their football and love their Steelers and it adds up to the 49ers' most difficult road trip of the season.

"We hope it's an advantage for us and it usually is," Ward said.

The 49ers have not played Pittsburgh since 2003, when they defeated the Steelers 30-14 at Candlestick.

Listen up for more 49ers and Raiders buzz at sfgate.com/podcasts.

E-mail John Crumpacker at jcrumpacker@sfchronicle.com.

This article appeared on page D - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:51 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,943 Times in 1,656 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Steelers deja vu all over again

Sounds like this is going to be a good game casey hampton is a beast I can't wait to see the game.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
RJC
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6896

Ben is going to have to be extremely careful with his decisions and ball placement. That secondary is no joke!
RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

One player we have to worry about is Frank Gore. He is a heckuva tail back and has a nice balance of speed and power. He may not get 100 yards on this defense but is capable of putting up two scores on us. That won't be a problem though as I see the Steelers putting up some good numbers.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:52 AM   #5
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
coach Mike Tomlin, a 35-year-old disciplinarian
That's one I don't believe we've heard, but I suppose he is a disciplinarian. Tomlin has had the team on track so far, I expect much of the same this Sunday.

We'll see how things play out over the course of the season, but it does'nt seem like Tomlin will let the team get overconfident and lose a game they should win. I also don't believe we will see a repeat of some of the games last year where things got out of hand, (turnovers, or FWP getting shutdown) adjustments will be made.

This team seems to be in a totally different place mentally.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Steelers deja vu all over again
Same formula for Pittsburgh
John Crumpacker, San Francisco Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Funny thing about the Pittsburgh Steelers: They change head coaches for only the second time in 38 years and they still look like the Pittsburgh Steelers......

Starting 2-0 has made it much easier for the players to believe in new head coach Mike Tomlin, a 35-year-old disciplinarian who took over a Pittsburgh team coming off an 8-8 season, one year removed from the Super Bowl championship.

"So far, guys are buying in," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "He's a great coach. A guy coming in his first year, expectations are going to be high. Coach Tomlin, he wants to do it his way. It's not coach (Bill) Cowher's team. It's not coach (Chuck) Noll's team. It's his team. The 53 guys he decided to keep are the 53 guys he liked. We like the makeup of our team."
What I like about Tomlin is he is very intellegent, pays attention to detail and is big on preparation. BUT he is not a control freak/micro manager. He is smart enough to allow Ben & the coaches to do their thing. Add his composure which is beyond his years, and the obvious respect he has earned from his coaches and team. I really like this guy so far....

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
Ben is going to have to be extremely careful with his decisions and ball placement. That secondary is no joke!
Agreed, If Ben is careful with the ball should be pretty much the same results as the past 2 weeks.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
TommyG
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 6069

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
What I like about Tomlin is he is very intellegent, pays attention to detail and is big on preparation. BUT he is not a control freak/micro manager. He is smart enough to allow Ben & the coaches to do their thing. Add his composure which is beyond his years, and the obvious respect he has earned from his coaches and team. I really like this guy so far....
I agree....I was a little worried when he first came in how he would mesh with the hold over coaches....But he has let LeBeau do his thing...He was not afraid to add to what LeBeau is doing but appreciate that this is freaking Dick LeBeau.....I think we have a real shot at winning the division and who knows, even a couple playoffs games....
Old 09-21-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

we need to rattle alex smith and get to him early and ben needs to make sure to throw it to the guys in the black jerseys, not the white one..lol..

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #10
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

"I enjoy getting hit". That's hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote