Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-23-2007, 05:55 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers-49ers key matchup

Steelers-49ers key matchup
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, September 23, 2007

49ers RT Joe Staley vs. Steelers OLB Clark Haggans

49ers RT Joe Staley: Staley was drafted 28th overall out of Central Michigan back in April, the second of San Francisco's two first-round picks (linebacker Patrick Willis went at No. 11 overall). One of the reasons why he became the first No. 1 pick in CMU history was his speed. Staley ran a 4.7 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine, the fastest time of any offensive lineman. At 6-foot-5 and 306 pounds, he also has the prerequisite size. He's started twice on an offensive line that hasn't been able to get RB Frank Gore over 100 yards on the ground yet and has allowed seven sacks in two games.

Steelers OLB Clark Haggans: Normally the starter at left outside linebacker, Haggans moved over to the right side for the second half of last Sunday's 26-3 win over Buffalo after LB James Harrison was lost to a neck injury. Harrison should be back against San Francisco, which means Haggans (6-4, 243) can return to the starting position he's occupied since 2004. Haggans has a sack and two quarterback hurries to his credit this season, and has moved to within one-and-a-half quarterback drops of tying Chad Brown and Mike Merriweather for 13th place on the Steelers' all-time list.

The matchup: The Steelers will be out to confuse QB Alex Smith, a third-year pro, with their array of blitzes and coverages. Staley should also get an education as far as where the pass rush is coming from and how committed the Steelers are to stopping the run. Playing on the road won't make it any easier for Staley, who has to hold up if the 49ers' offense -- ranked 23rd in rushing, 31st in passing and 32nd and dead last overall -- is to have a chance to become a factor.
Edge: Haggans

Last week: CB Deshea Townsend and the Steelers' secondary identified Bills WR Lee Evans as a player they had to contain, then went out and contained him. Evans caught two passes for 17 yards and the Bills got slaughtered.
Edge: Townsend
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Steelers-49ers key matchup

EDGE: STEELERS!!
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
OStigers2000
Water Boy

Member Number: 7110

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Steelers-49ers key matchup
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, September 23, 2007

49ers RT Joe Staley vs. Steelers OLB Clark Haggans

49ers RT Joe Staley: Staley was drafted 28th overall out of Central Michigan back in April, the second of San Francisco's two first-round picks (linebacker Patrick Willis went at No. 11 overall). One of the reasons why he became the first No. 1 pick in CMU history was his speed. Staley ran a 4.7 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine, the fastest time of any offensive lineman. At 6-foot-5 and 306 pounds, he also has the prerequisite size. He's started twice on an offensive line that hasn't been able to get RB Frank Gore over 100 yards on the ground yet and has allowed seven sacks in two games.

Steelers OLB Clark Haggans: Normally the starter at left outside linebacker, Haggans moved over to the right side for the second half of last Sunday's 26-3 win over Buffalo after LB James Harrison was lost to a neck injury. Harrison should be back against San Francisco, which means Haggans (6-4, 243) can return to the starting position he's occupied since 2004. Haggans has a sack and two quarterback hurries to his credit this season, and has moved to within one-and-a-half quarterback drops of tying Chad Brown and Mike Merriweather for 13th place on the Steelers' all-time list.

The matchup: The Steelers will be out to confuse QB Alex Smith, a third-year pro, with their array of blitzes and coverages. Staley should also get an education as far as where the pass rush is coming from and how committed the Steelers are to stopping the run. Playing on the road won't make it any easier for Staley, who has to hold up if the 49ers' offense -- ranked 23rd in rushing, 31st in passing and 32nd and dead last overall -- is to have a chance to become a factor.
Edge: Haggans

Last week: CB Deshea Townsend and the Steelers' secondary identified Bills WR Lee Evans as a player they had to contain, then went out and contained him. Evans caught two passes for 17 yards and the Bills got slaughtered.
Edge: Townsend

I know you wanna over hype junk and all but Staley hasn't given up 7 sacks there buddy. Think you need to get your facts straight. He has given up only 1 so calm down on the over exaggeration. And D. Townsend is junk, that dude couldn't cover a poor man in a aisle. I've seen him get burnt many of times giving up the big play, your best bet is Taylor. You leave your faith in Townsend well you have seen it before where he plays like junk. So underestimate our RT J. Staley, you're gonna really enjoy the show
OStigers2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by OStigers2000 View Post
I know you wanna over hype junk and all but Staley hasn't given up 7 sacks there buddy. Think you need to get your facts straight. He has given up only 1 so calm down on the over exaggeration. And D. Townsend is junk, that dude couldn't cover a poor man in a aisle. I've seen him get burnt many of times giving up the big play, your best bet is Taylor. You leave your faith in Townsend well you have seen it before where he plays like junk. So underestimate our RT J. Staley, you're gonna really enjoy the show
Their o-line has given up 7 sacks.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
OStigers2000
Water Boy

Member Number: 7110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Steel Head View Post
Their o-line has given up 7 sacks.

Now I took it where he was writing that Staley gave up those 7 sacks? But Staley has given up one, its Jennings, and Smiley who have given up the sacks. Smiley has 3, Jennings has 2, Heitmann has 1 and Staley has 1. we expect Staley to make rookie flaws because he's a rookie but he has held his ground really great for a rookie. I mean he took on L. Little of the Rams who is a pro bowl DE and still has his great speed and moves. Now saying he is a shut down tackle yet but he is really great in the passing game SO FAR (knock on wood). But you are right in the running game he is not solid yet, not like our last year starter in K. Harris (who rides the bench) but he hasn't been flagged yet at all this year which is rare for a rookie. And Harris every fregen time we got a good or big play you would hear "holding or clipping #77" and it would drive us nuts!! So we got a rookie RT who is great in pass blocking, has yet to make a penalty but is not solid on the run so far. But this is all can change.
OStigers2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
UH...............you do realize I didn't write the article right? .....and I dont believe I have ever seen you on this forum....so not really sure how you know that I "like to hype junk and all"... (weird)

...and yes...I believe I will be enjoying the show a great deal more than you will.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

This is a very nice way to get this weeks weekly thread off isnt it? I think that the Steelers should control the line of scrimage against the Niners in my opinion. The Niners have had alot of injuries and all, but this is no excuse. Like every other team in this league there is always gonna be injuries that dictate how each team does. The Steelers have been lucky so far with not having any big injuries and I hope this continues. Good luck to the Niners fans who have found their ways here, but I think that Frank Gore is in for a long long day.....
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085

Quote:
I sort of agree about Townsend but the 49ers dont have any top receivers so the corners will be more vital in run D support. Stopping Frank Gore should be the #1 mission which forces Alex Smith to make and that is something he has not shown the ability to do in his short career.

Key matchup really is Casey Hampton vs the SF O-line.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,949 Times in 3,010 Posts

steelers better not let vernon davis look like alge crumpler or it will be a long day of long drives.