Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-23-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default To Challenge or not To challenge

Probably the only bit of controversy that will be seen in the Burgh this week. Should Tomlin have challenged the incomplete pass to the Niner's TE in the second half? One thing is for sure, the Ref's seem to have blown the play.

To me the question comes down to the rules of replay in the NFL. When the ref goes into the replay booth is he restricted by the specific issue at challenge, or can he make a determination based on another issue as long as it is still a reviewable issue? Does anyone know? If the Ref is restricted by the issue challenged, then maybe Tomlin should have challenged. However, if they are not restricted then it would have been useless for Tomlin to challenge the play because the Ref would have already considered all issues regarding that particular play.

Pheww ... did that make any sence?
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: To Challenge or not To challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
Probably the only bit of controversy that will be seen in the Burgh this week. Should Tomlin have challenged the incomplete pass to the Niner's TE in the second half? One thing is for sure, the Ref's seem to have blown the play.

To me the question comes down to the rules of replay in the NFL. When the ref goes into the replay booth is he restricted by the specific issue at challenge, or can he make a determination based on another issue as long as it is still a reviewable issue? Does anyone know? If the Ref is restricted by the issue challenged, then maybe Tomlin should have challenged. However, if they are not restricted then it would have been useless for Tomlin to challenge the play because the Ref would have already considered all issues regarding that particular play.

Pheww ... did that make any sence?
I did happen to see that play.

First up, I think the ball did hit the ground - otherwise I can't see how the ball gained so much 'spring' from the inside of the arm.

As far as challenges go - im pretty sure you only challenge a certain element of the play.

So yes, I think Tomlin could have challenged the fact that the ball hit the ground, though I think it would have been close to impossible to say with any certainty that it didn't - which is what is required to over turn the call.

I happen to think the receiver was actually down - but that rule is open to interpretation it could go either way depending on the ref's mood.

As it happened a 50 yd FG is a (literal) long shot at Heinz - I thought Tomlin made the right call...or non-call.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post

First up, I think the ball did hit the ground - otherwise I can't see how the ball gained so much 'spring' from the inside of the arm.

As far as challenges go - im pretty sure you only challenge a certain element of the play.

So yes, I think Tomlin could have challenged the fact that the ball hit the ground, though I think it would have been close to impossible to say with any certainty that it didn't - which is what is required to over turn the call.

I happen to think the receiver was actually down - but that rule is open to interpretation it could go either way depending on the ref's mood.

As it happened a 50 yd FG is a (literal) long shot at Heinz - I thought Tomlin made the right call...or non-call.

It was 49 yards -not 50. Your right about the "long shot at Heinz." I may be wrong but no Steeler has kicked one 50 or longer at Heinz. That kick by Reed today would have been good from 60 yards out.

It's the little things and the big things that are going right this season. I'm trying to think what is different this season
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post

i guarantee that there will be plenty said about this next week by those who are desperately trying to find a chink in tomlins coaching armor.

the call was f--- up from the beginning. a catch is a catch is a catch. the ball was caught, the ground cannot cause a fumble, and by all means it shouldve been ruled a reception (this is my biggest pet peve in football).

the steelers actually lucked out with a shitty ruling.

for all those who are gonna question tomlins coaching decision: why would he throw a flag and review a play that the refs had just reviewed? they looked at the play, they made their decision. is a second challenge really gonna change what they saw and ruled on?

good job by tomlin not throwing an irrational challenge flag. that is why he is coach and the fans are fans. if any media questions his decision, they are retarded.

fwiw, those are the plays tomlin thrives on to see how his team responds to adversity. the defense responded just like last week when tomlin was questionned for not throwing a flag on a long kick off return.

again, any inevitible article questionning tomlins lack of challenges should be immediately discredtited.

choose youre battles wisely and pick the ones you know you can win.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

[QUOTE=tony hipchest;298637 why would he throw a flag and review a play that the refs had just reviewed? they looked at the play, they made their decision. is a second challenge really gonna change what they saw and ruled on?[/QUOTE]

That actually happened in a Pac-10 game USC vs. I think Oregon. Carroll threw the flag and won the ruling only to have Belotti throw the flag to have the call re-reversed .

If someone is looking for a Tomlin mistake so far should use Windex on the mirror before they next look into it.

Dude has a layer of teflon thicker than perhaps even Reagan IMHO.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

I agree with what Tony said!
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Bottom line: we won by 21.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #8
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634

I also think the play was a catch and runner was down, however it worked well for me because I have Nedney on my fantasy team.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
Tim
Starter

Member Number: 661

The ground can't cause a fumble, that much is true, but it's also true that you have to establish that you have possession for it to be ruled a catch.

The instant he had the ball he got crushed and upended, when he came down the ball came out. I'm not sure how he could have had possession of the ball.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
The ground can't cause a fumble, that much is true, but it's also true that you have to establish that you have possession for it to be ruled a catch.

The instant he had the ball he got crushed and upended, when he came down the ball came out. I'm not sure how he could have had possession of the ball.
he had 2 feet down before he was flipped.... = a catch (possession).

today was another fine example of the refs not being perfect.