Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-04-2005, 03:45 AM   #1
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Elway like?

Would anyone agree that Ben, in his game winning drives, is almost Elway like? Not to compare a HOF`er to a second year quarterback, but his calmness, and confidence when the games on the line, is a comparison if you ask me. Ben continues to make the key plays especially during the two minute drills, even right before halftime. I would much rather NOT play tight games, but when we do, I am glad that Ben is our field General.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:48 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,938 Posts
Default Re: Elway like?

ben wears #7 cause he always admired and wanted to mold his game after elway. he says he wants to be mentionned in the same breath as montanna, elway, marino, when all is said and done and be a 1st ballot h.o.f.er. the similarities are definitely there. lets just hope he doesnt lose 3 sb's before he wins 2.

18-1 regular season record. plus the 11-0 in his final college season. dude is just not used to losing.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:05 AM   #3
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Not only did Ben hold his composure on the final drive, but he did it after tearing his knee up in the first quarter. Told the coach at half time that his knee hurts but will only come out of the game if only if "he" feels hes hurting the team, played the entire game hurt, and in the end got us in the position to win the game.

Im glad the Giants played their hand with Rivers and not Ben, for the Eli tarde.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #4
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Funny you should say that Cleve.

?John Elway did it 47 times over the course of his 16-season Hall of Fame career. Ben Roethlisberger has already done it seven times in 1 1/2 seasons.

Elway was known for bringing his team from behind in the fourth quarter to win and Roethlisberger has fast earned that reputation himself after doing it again Monday night against the Baltimore Ravens.

Seven times Roethlisberger has taken his team from behind in the fourth quarter to a victory, twice this season. That's a large percentage of his 19 total victories (against two losses) including playoffs.

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...elers/home.htm

I think the thing I like best about Ben is when he is in a tight spot and there isn't much time left. You still have all the confidence in the world in him. He is very calm and composed. He leads the offense with a confidence which just helps even more. As BIG said I'm glad Ben is in Pittsburgh and not elsewhere.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

I think if most people compared Ben to a great QB of the past it would be Elway... I have always thought they were similar considering their scrambling ability and the comeback victories. The biggest differences are size, and Elways cannon of an arm compared to Bens touch passes.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:39 PM   #6
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

I was just thinking about this today at work..What QB would you compare Ben too. AFter the obvious answer of, There is no comparison, He's one of a king

I would say you 'd have to choose Elway as a measuring stick for Ben at this point in his career. Escapability, big arm, intelligent, smart w/ the football, composure in the pocket..
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:04 PM   #7
Avoid LLoyd1975
Starter

Member Number: 376

I wouldn't compare him to anybody because he is doing things no other quarterback in nfl history has done.
Avoid LLoyd1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:11 PM   #8
soniczilla
Water Boy

Member Number: 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoid LLoyd1975
I wouldn't compare him to anybody because he is doing things no other quarterback in nfl history has done.
He's definitely established his own brand of football style and I love it. Although becoming the next Marino or Elway would be stretch, in my mind, I think he'll definitely end up more deserving of the accolades than Steve Young or Troy Aikman.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:46 AM   #9
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniczilla
He's definitely established his own brand of football style and I love it. Although becoming the next Marino or Elway would be stretch, in my mind, I think he'll definitely end up more deserving of the accolades than Steve Young or Troy Aikman.
As long as he gets us the rings. I like a Elway comparison the best.
It is such a relief to have a qb that makes us feel like we always have a chance to win,
Old 11-06-2005, 02:23 PM   #10
shevdog
Team Captain

Member Number: 120
Thumbs up Re: Elway like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Would anyone agree that Ben, in his game winning drives, is almost Elway like? Not to compare a HOF`er to a second year quarterback, but his calmness, and confidence when the games on the line, is a comparison if you ask me. Ben continues to make the key plays especially during the two minute drills, even right before halftime. I would much rather NOT play tight games, but when we do, I am glad that Ben is our field General.
Hum...

Good point. Time will tell if he has those late drive Elway-like qualities. I'm hoping that holds true through the years!

Steelers Football: Simply the Best!
shevdog is offline   Reply With Quote