Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #21
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399
Default Re: Faneca

Faneca appears to be fully engaged and I am sure the Steelers and he will reach an agreement.....of course unless he wants overpaid vastly like most athletes do......in which case they need to let him go............

my guess he eats humble pie or goes and gets replaced NO BIGGIE
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:51 PM   #22
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think he's goin gto realize how this is a great team and he'll want to retire as a steeler

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #23
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
i think he's goin gto realize how this is a great team and he'll want to retire as a steeler
He needs to retire very rich and that won't happen with the B&G unfortunately. Who can fault him?
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #24
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

[QUOTE=NV STEELERS 723;298652
I wonder if we won the Super Bowl this year if Alan would take a pay cut to stay??????[/QUOTE]

That would make it even less likely. He'd have two rings so there would be no reason to play for that. At that point you just want to cash in while you can and that means going free agent.

It's a business decision on both sides. Faneca wants the money, the Steelers want the cap room for Ben.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:23 AM   #25
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
If the Steelers designate Faneca as a Franchise player must he not remain with the team? Isn't this a possible scenario.

Michael
it's very possible. But the problem with making a move like this is you take a huge hit on the cap. I believe when you franchise a player the player gets the average of the top 3 players at his position. And I think Faneca would stir up the locker room if such a move was made. I think it's best if we let faneca walk
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #26
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt View Post
He needs to retire very rich and that won't happen with the B&G unfortunately. Who can fault him?
The Steelers made him the highest paid guard in the league at the time of his last contract signing. I'm not going to blame the Rooneys for not breaking the bank to keep him in the current atmosphere in the NFL that is seeing scrub O-linemen getting $50 mil+ contracts. However, I'm also not going to blame Faneca for chasing huge $ elsewhere. I will also not feel sympathy for him when he more than likely lands with a club that wins 4-6 games every year either.

Last edited by fansince'76; 09-24-2007 at 10:49 AM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #27
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
it's very possible. But the problem with making a move like this is you take a huge hit on the cap. I believe when you franchise a player the player gets the average of the top 3 players at his position. And I think Faneca would stir up the locker room if such a move was made. I think it's best if we let faneca walk

Big D

You believe he would stir up the locker room because he will be FORCED to stay and that will not go down very well with Faneca. That is a good point.

Well the Steeler management and in particular this year's coaching staff certainly
have proven to me they exercise good judgement. I rest on their decsion and enjoy what promises to be a good season.

Thanks Bid D
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #28
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,333 Times in 3,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I agree Faeca would potentially go ballistic if he was franchised (although he should thank the NFLPA for not dumping that clause from the CBA rather than just blame mgmt. for facing that possibiity) and it would stir up other vets who recognize it is a business decision who gets re-signed but presumably expect they should be allowed to get their long-term contrcat somewhere else if the Steelers will not pay up.

Faneca is entitled to the his $$$ elsewhere but if he dose not like being forced to play out a long contract then he should have signed a shorter contract last time.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote