Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-28-2007, 03:32 PM   #31
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836
Default Re: Romo asking for $30M guaranteed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I think the first round salary signings are slotted, meaning the #15 pick almost always will get less than the #10 pick (which is what messed up Brady Quinn after everyone missed his view that he was really a #1 pick who happened to slide to #22 but still should get top 5 pick money.) That is why you always seem to have the delay in first round signings as someone needs to go first and set the market price that year.

After that, initial contracts for first round picks go 4 (Troy) to 5 (Ben) years to amortize the signing bonus.

The NFL needs to go to a separate cap for rookie signigs but that would hurt the agents and top players who (along with Goodell) are the colllective masters' voice for Gene Upshaw and the sham union called the NFLPA, which does nothing for rank & file players or retirees.

I believe no top shelf QB has ever left his team in the prime of his career since the cap came in, but someone soon is going to demand a bust the bank contract that some mid- to small market owner will refuse to pay. IMO Ben & the Rooneys are on the short list of QB-owner tandems for which that may occur.
Thanks for the info. Something definitely needs to be done, or the NFL is going to go the way of Major League Baseball. The NFL can't keep ticket prices as low as MLB can because of only playing 16 games as opposed to 161 games. If it gets much more out of hand, no one will be able to afford to go to a game, and the NFL will find itself in a world of hurt.

Can you imagine what next year's #1 is going to get... especially if its Brohm?
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #32
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
Thanks for the info. Something definitely needs to be done, or the NFL is going to go the way of Major League Baseball. The NFL can't keep ticket prices as low as MLB can because of only playing 16 games as opposed to 161 games. If it gets much more out of hand, no one will be able to afford to go to a game, and the NFL will find itself in a world of hurt.

Can you imagine what next year's #1 is going to get... especially if its Brohm?
and if it's the falcons who get the pick. If I remeber right williams signed for 27 guaranteed last year, russell signed for 31 that means next year it could go up to at least 35 million
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #33
silver & black
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
and if it's the falcons who get the pick. If I remeber right williams signed for 27 guaranteed last year, russell signed for 31 that means next year it could go up to at least 35 million
I never thought about Atlanta getting the pick, but it is a real possibility. Williams got 27.5 gauranteed.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #34
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

What would you guys say is the most important stat in football?

Completion percentage? TD passes? Yards? Yards per attempt? Interceptions? Sacks?

I think it's wins-losses/Super Bowls

Ben has one of THE BEST records since becoming a starter and he already has a SB ring.

If he gets lots of wins this year, I think he'll be deserving of some big money...especially if he puts up some career highs in things like yards & touchdowns.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #35
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,333 Times in 3,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
it depends. the rise in rookie guaranteed money has been consistant with the rise of the salary cap, so if it raises 5% that 31 mil would go up by 5% of that; however, i read somewhere that its possible to drop from $109 mil to $107 next season. with most teams planning on it raising to $116 next season they may find themselves $9 mil over budget for 2008. this especially hurts a team like the raiders who are essentially paying russell to red shirt for a year and having him at an inflated price for next season.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:36 PM   #36
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

The NFL salary cap system keeps a level playing field but is not without its flaws. Seems rookies comand way to high slaraies & specially bonuses and when it comes to higly drafted QB's you better hope your scouts are right ,otherwise it can set the franchise back years - see Tim Couch etc. Puts a great amount of pressure on rookie QB to be good right out of the gate as well.
Also seems that proven players who have accomplised things in the game are the ones on the other end getting cut for cap reasons. I glad the Steelers are one of the few teams who have seemed to figure out the cap a little bit and seemed to know when to give out the paydays, but it was not without some mistakes like previous contarcts for Gildon and Kordell.
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #37
silver & black
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSteel View Post
The NFL salary cap system keeps a level playing field but is not without its flaws. Seems rookies comand way to high slaraies & specially bonuses and when it comes to higly drafted QB's you better hope your scouts are right ,otherwise it can set the franchise back years - see Tim Couch etc. Puts a great amount of pressure on rookie QB to be good right out of the gate as well.
Also seems that proven players who have accomplised things in the game are the ones on the other end getting cut for cap reasons. I glad the Steelers are one of the few teams who have seemed to figure out the cap a little bit and seemed to know when to give out the paydays, but it was not without some mistakes like previous contarcts for Gildon and Kordell.
It also puts a great amount of pressure on the team that drafted him to put him on the field immediately. Definitely not a good thing when it comes to QB's. I'm glad Russell is sitting this year, but the pressure to get him on the field because of the money invested is tempting. I don't see Russell being able to live up to his salary for 2-3 years... but then again, you never know.

I never wanted him for just this reason. We could have traded down and still got Stanton or Edwards and some O line or D line help.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #38
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Anyone think that Romo's asking price is a red herring?

I have to ask, what other QB's does he represent that are coming up for contract negotiations... whose contract is he really trying to drive up. Because that amount for that him just isn't right.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:53 PM   #39
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,444 Times in 3,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
What would you guys say is the most important stat in football?

Completion percentage? TD passes? Yards? Yards per attempt? Interceptions? Sacks?

I think it's wins-losses/Super Bowls

Ben has one of THE BEST records since becoming a starter and he already has a SB ring.

If he gets lots of wins this year, I think he'll be deserving of some big money...especially if he puts up some career highs in things like yards & touchdowns.
So in 2000 Trent Dilfer was the best QB in the NFL?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #40
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
So in 2000 Trent Dilfer was the best QB in the NFL?

People always seem to trip over themselves by trying to oversimplify a pretty complex equation.

There are so many variables at hand - how much does the team rely on the QB to win games? - defensively challenged teams tend to pay more of a premium to give themselves the best chance in shootout scenario's.

Does the guy have any clutch ability, does he flake out in the 4th quarter or does he do his best work then.

I like Romo (and I like Eli Manning as a QB, too) and think he is a good QB - people were overly harsh on him this offseason - just like how they've been overly emotional when punishing Eli for the draft day debacle.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote