Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #21
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: God Hates the Yankees

If the MLB REALLY wanted to "impede" their dominance, there would be a salary cap. That's plain and simple. Also, buying off free agents rarely works. Ego's, contracts, endorsements, the press, lack of unity, there are a hundred reasons why teams who just toss cash around almost never win now. Anaheim, Detroit, Florida, even St. Louis don't spend anywhere near the cash that Steinbrenner does.

And, no, I would not prefer any of my teams to simply outspend the competition, and not just because I know it doesn't work. There is something inherently "right" about watching a team being built right before your eyes, through good drafting, a great farm system and very selective use of free agency.

A-Rod is a great example. His contract alone is worth about 40 million more than the entire Indians payroll, and outside of a largely meaningless solo shot, he sucked in this series. There are probably 4-5 players on the Indians roster who are actually more valuable than A-Rod, and they proved themselves when and where it counted.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #22
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
If the MLB REALLY wanted to "impede" their dominance, there would be a salary cap. That's plain and simple. Also, buying off free agents rarely works. Ego's, contracts, endorsements, the press, lack of unity, there are a hundred reasons why teams who just toss cash around almost never win now. Anaheim, Detroit, Florida, even St. Louis don't spend anywhere near the cash that Steinbrenner does.

And, no, I would not prefer any of my teams to simply outspend the competition, and not just because I know it doesn't work. There is something inherently "right" about watching a team being built right before your eyes, through good drafting, a great farm system and very selective use of free agency.

A-Rod is a great example. His contract alone is worth about 40 million more than the entire Indians payroll, and outside of a largely meaningless solo shot, he sucked in this series. There are probably 4-5 players on the Indians roster who are actually more valuable than A-Rod, and they proved themselves when and where it counted.
Great post. I guarantee you that if the Bankee$ didn't consistently screw every team in the league by blowing the FA market to hell every year by overpaying for every FA imaginable, and actually built from within, there would be a whole lot less hatred for them outside the metropolitan New York and Boston areas. It's the one thing that many Bankee$ fans simply do not understand, and instead jump right into defense mode whenever someone questions their free-spending ways. Only the Bankee$ would spend $28 million on a washed-up Roger Clemens, then cut him from the postseason roster.

Good luck with K-Rod next year, Bankee$ fans, because even IF he decides to void his contract, there won't be another team in the league who will pay him $30 million a year or more, so he'll probably be wearing pinstripes and sucking in the postseason. Again.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:01 PM   #23
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Actually, except for over-inflating the FA market, I have no problem with them constantly throwing good money after bad. Other teams can learn how to do it right by watching the Yankees do it wrong year after year, and it makes it more fun to watch them lose. I DON'T think it's right to blame Joe Torre, though.

A couple other nice moments in the series: The guy holding the sign (and summing up Yankee arrogance nicely) that said "We play. We win. No problem." To the fans and probably the players as well, they just considered beating the Indians manifest destiny. The only problem with that is that the Indians are actually a better team. I also still can't get over the fact that the big bad Bronx Bombers couldn't handle a few little bugs.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:12 PM   #24
GoFins11
Starter

Member Number: 5876

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
It's easy. Buying championships doesn't work, but earning them does. When the Yankee's learn this lesson, the hatred will subside a bit. If you REALLY want people to stop hating the Yankee's, find a way to do away with frontrunner fans. That'll solve the whole Patriots hatred thing, too.
I have no problem with them buying anything because they pay my team a pretty penny in profit sharing

I dislike all New York sports for the most part.