Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-10-2007, 06:14 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Cowher?s surprisingly candid on camera

Cowher?s surprisingly candid on camera
By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, October 10, 2007

All fluff, no substance. You had to believe that's what CBS was getting when it hired ex-Steelers coach Bill Cowher.

If Cowher's analyses were going to be anything like his news conferences, we were in for a lot of fine-line-in-this-business remarks and not much else.

Certainly, he would shy away from ripping members of the NFL coaching fraternity.

Well, guess what? "The Jaw" is proving he isn't afraid to sink those suddenly and disturbingly white teeth of his (what happened there?) into some people.

That's exactly what he did during the "NFL Today" pre-game show Sunday, with host James Brown and former NFL stars Dan Marino, Boomer Esiason and Shannon Sharpe.

Cowher went deep early, ripping Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith (though not by name) for going conservative in a loss to Detroit.

"You got a situation where you want to find out about (tailback) Cedric Benson," Cowher said. "He's your workhouse, (you have a) new quarterback, so you'd think you'd run the ball? No. Twenty-seven passes, nine runs in the first half. I question that game plan."

Calling out a coach for his game plan? A critique can't get much stronger.

In the post-game show, Cowher criticized Atlanta coach Bobby Petrino (again, not by name) for pulling quarterback Joey Harrington against Tennessee.

Back on the pregame show, Cowher teed off on the San Diego Chargers, who'd lost to Kansas City a week earlier when LaDainian Tomlinson had gained 114 yards in the first half, but carried only six more times.

"They had a 10-point lead, and you're only going to give the ball to LT six times?" Cowher said. "You can't do that. You gotta finish games."

The Chargers subsequently ran a season-high 37 times in a blowout win at Denver.

At one point Sunday, Brown turned to Cowher for his take on a quote from Arizona quarterback Matt Leinart, who had been alternating with Kurt Warner in coach Ken Whisenhunt's system.

Brown read Leinart's quote -- "The team should ride or die with me" -- and said to Cowher, "Do you agree?"

Cowher looked straight into the camera and said, "Matt, be a team player. If you play better, he won't pull you. ... Matt needs to just worry about playing and let Whiz coach."

Does that sound like a man who's afraid to offend people?

The guess here is that Cowher's competitiveness kicked in after a slow start at the new job. He obviously doesn't want to be viewed as Mr. Milk Toast.

Before the season, Cowher picked the Steelers to finish third in the AFC North. It was duly noted in the locker room.

"It's kinda weird," receiver Hines Ward said. "He was the coach here, talking about us being a great team, and next thing you know, we're third in our own division."

Esiason and Marino gave Cowher grief when he was the only one to pick the banged-up Steelers to beat Seattle.

"My guys," Cowher said of the Steelers. "You back 'em into a corner, they respond. I talked to 'em last night."

Wait, Cowher talked to some players Saturday night? None of the veterans I spoke with Tuesday knew anything about it. Maybe he was kidding.

"I didn't talk to him, but I might call him this week and talk a little trash," linebacker James Farrior said. "I'll tell him I've seen him a few times and that he needs to pick it up. He's getting overpowered by the rest of the guys."

Actually, he's not.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_531815.html
Old 10-10-2007, 06:40 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Default Re: Cowher?s surprisingly candid on camera

Quote:
"The Jaw" is proving he isn't afraid to sink those suddenly and disturbingly white teeth of his (what happened there?) into some people.
They are disturbing. They just look very.........odd. I caught myself staring at them with a tilted head on a few occasions. It's like watching a train wreck.

Anyways, hats off to Cowher for speaking his mind. I've only got to see him twice since the regular season started, but I guess he's doing a good job? Or am I off here?

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 10-10-2007 at 06:54 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
They are disturbing. They just look very.........odd. I caught myself staring at them with a tilted head on a few occasions. It's like watching a train wreck.

Anyways, hats off to Cowher for speaking his mind. I've only got to see him twice since the regular season started, but I guess he's doing a good job? Or am I off here?
his teeth are downright creepy. and youre not off the mark at all. someone mentionned a few weeks ago said he seemed like a natural. and he does. of course im biassed cause i thought he always came off as extrememly likeable on camera. but so far on the set he has been funny, witty, opnionated, and he dont hold back or sugar coat anything.

he did a film break down segment that was as good as any you will see in a a pre game show. for the 2 or 3 minute segement he stood up and without any notes, or a teleprompter, and totally reverted to coach mode. he didnt stutter, stumble, forget a word or point, or have to say "uhh". it was precise and direct. he is definitely not shy of the camera and he brings a ton of chemistry to a set that was comprised of ex-players. i wouldnt be too suprised at all if he went the jimmy johnson route and decided to make this his 2nd career. he's got the staying power.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
his teeth are downright creepy. and youre not off the mark at all. someone mentionned a few weeks ago said he seemed like a natural. and he does. of course im biassed cause i thought he always came off as extrememly likeable on camera. but so far on the set he has been funny, witty, opnionated, and he dont hold back or sugar coat anything.

he did a film break down segment that was as good as any you will see in a a pre game show. for the 2 or 3 minute segement he stood up and without any notes, or a teleprompter, and totally reverted to coach mode. he didnt stutter, stumble, forget a word or point, or have to say "uhh". it was precise and direct. he is definitely not shy of the camera and he brings a ton of chemistry to a set that was comprised of ex-players. i wouldnt be too suprised at all if he went the jimmy johnson route and decided to make this his 2nd career. he's got the staying power.
Good for him. It looks like he is enjoying himself. It's refreshing to hear an honest opinion instead of the sugarcoating while wearing the (insert team name here) sunglasses. *coughs* Hoge.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post

Suze Orman has those same kind of creepy-white teeth - some people call them Chiclet teeth (named for the blindingly white gum!). Especially on him, they just don't fit. I think he sat too long with the bleaching trays in, or else he got those porcelain veneers, and they're just too white for his complexion/coloring.

Aesthetics aside, I think he's doing a good job now that he's not afraid to speak up. Either he was kind of shy at first, or they weren't giving him much to do. But I think he's blossomed after a slow start, and I really enjoy his honest assessments. He's usually saying what most of us are already thinking. And good for him - I wish him all success, and he's earned it.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

With the astonomically high number of fans of other teams pondering whether he'd consider coaching their team in the future, I'd say that people want to hear the real deal come out of his mouth. The man is certainly qualified. I'm proud of ya, Chin.

The teeth take some getting used to.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote