Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-12-2007, 01:11 PM   #21
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Re: Best Steelers Defense Ever!

[QUOTE=Haiku_Dirtt;307464]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
Quite simply... NoQUOTE]

Concur. But we shouldn't discount the possibilities.

I will say without blinking that this is the FASTEST Steeler defense ever. Harrison, Farrior and especially Haggans have revealed speed that was less apparent last season
Maybe the fastest, but not nearly the best.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #22
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The best? I don't think so. The 2007 Steelers D has great potential to be dominant though. Could it be due to a new, unshackled D.Lebeau having FULL control over the Defense?
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:58 PM   #23
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,538 Times in 3,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
The best? I don't think so. The 2007 Steelers D has great potential to be dominant though. Could it be due to a new, unshackled D.Lebeau having FULL control over the Defense?
Or could it be because they played a Browns team that benched its starting QB in the 2nd quarter, a Bills team that always will find a way to lose, a 49ers team with no offense, and a Seahawks team showcasing an aging RB with a broken wrist?

I am pleased they are playing well but will be even more pleased if they play well against Cincy and some other comeptent offenses.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #24
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

[quote=BlastFurnace;307467]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt View Post

Maybe the fastest, but not nearly the best.
Yet...

I don't put it past them. Don't forget, we don't have a lot of age issues on this defense. They way our LB's and secondary hits... heck, the way our NT hits... the fact that we should keep most if not all of them for quite a few years, the fact that they are faster then the 70's D... we could develop into a rival defense to the 70's D.

And that, my friends, will bring us 2 or 3 more SB's.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:03 PM   #25
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
They way our LB's and secondary hits... heck, the way our NT hits... we could develop into a rival defense to the 70's D.
Possibly, but I don't see it - when the NFL starts changing rules to counteract the dominance of our D (like it did in the '70s), then I'll say we've made it.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #26
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

[QUOTE=Preacher;307483]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher307467

Yet...

I don't put it past them. Don't forget, we don't have a lot of age issues on this defense. They way our LB's and secondary hits... heck, the way our NT hits... the fact that we should keep most if not all of them for quite a few years, the fact that they are faster then the 70's D... we could develop into a rival defense to the 70's D.

And that, my friends, will bring us 2 or 3 more SB's.
Preacher...did you ever see the 70's defense play? If you did, how can you honestly compare this unit to them? If you didn't, I can understand why you don't understand how silly this comparison is. The 70's defense had a player that single handedly caused the NFL to change the rules on defense (Mel Blount).

Let's see this unit stop the 2007 Patriots before we compare them to a team that not only sustained greatness for a 6 year period of time, but also had 4 Hall of Famers on it and argueably 6 HOF's if you include Greenewood and Andy Russell.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #27
Preacher
Living Legend

[quote=BlastFurnace;307496]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

Preacher...did you ever see the 70's defense play? If you did, how can you honestly compare this unit to them? If you didn't, I can understand why you don't understand how silly this comparison is. The 70's defense had a player that single handedly caused the NFL to change the rules on defense (Mel Blount).

Let's see this unit stop the 2007 Patriots before we compare them to a team that not only sustained greatness for a 6 year period of time, but also had 4 Hall of Famers on it and argueably 6 HOF's if you include Greenewood and Andy Russell.
Um....

Let me refer you back.....

Quote:
Yet...

I don't put it past them. Don't forget, we don't ...
that is not a comparison. IT is a statement that we do not measure up now, but it holds that in the future, it may or may not.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:10 PM   #28
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Possibly, but I don't see it - when the NFL starts changing rules to counteract the dominance of our D (like it did in the '70s), then I'll say we've made it.
I agree.

But then I look at the fact that our two best LB's in the future still MAY be sitting on the bench as rookies.

If they both come as advertised.... and yes, that is big if... We definitely may rival the early teams, maybe not individually, but as a unit.

For those of you who are about to jump all over this, let me again point to the operative word here...

IF
Old 10-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #29
SteelFist
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Hell yes - the only thing that will keep Lloyd out of the HoF is the fact that his career was cut short due to injuries, not because his play wasn't up to snuff.

I agree 100%. I was hurt when Lloyd's injuries sold him short.

Its funny though, I was listening to a commentator for a game in which Joey Porter was playing (Don't remember which one), and a commentator said that Steeler fans often drew comparisons between Joey and Lloyd. And the other commentator responded by saying, "I played against Greg Lloyd, he's no Greg Lloyd." I found that amusing to say the least.

"That guy across from me, he has to do one or two things, either raise his level of play or get his a-- kicked all day" - Greg Lloyd
SteelFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #30
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I think in the next couple years this def has the potential to be one of the best, just look at our core of players on Def, Hampton, Polamalu, Tayler, Gay (if he continues to improve like he is now), Harrison, Farrior and Haggans all have the potential to be or already top Def guys, add in the 2 new LB's and we have a talented YOUNG def that is hungry. Plus one of the greates Def minds in the game currently inventing a newer more potent defensive scheme . . . keeps me excited for the next few years just for the possibilities.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote