Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #11
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106
Default Re: Dallas fan with a question here...

I'll add to some points already made.

Roy Williams has been getting smoked a lot on coverage this year. I know that I saw on T.V. sometime in the past two weeks some game footage of him in the passing game. He looks terribly awkward and is having trouble committing to his assignments. It seems that a guy who makes his money taking off heads often has trouble sticking to coverage assignments. Newman is going to need him to help with Moss and if Dallas opts to play any sort of Zone coverage, like a Cover 2 where Newman plays somewhere within 10 yards of the LOS, they are going to get smoked by Randy Moss.

Another key will be how they defense plays in the middle of the field. Wes Welker is tremendously underrated on short routes and Brady can dink and dunk with the best of them.

On offense, the Cowboys have to establish a run game. The fact that they have a two headed running attack means that they are going to have the energy to take it to the Patriots defensive line. I have already said a few times that this defense is going to crumble as soon as they face a team that is capable of ramming it down their throat. We've all seen their swagger and B.S. hits late in the game once they have absolutely demoralized a team. Keeping it close and keeping those guys away from Romo's kneecaps is the only way this offense is going to produce anything through the air.

I'm not so worried about T.O., he'll get his. If there is a weekness to the Patriots defense I feel like its in the secondary. If the stats aren't there to back it up, its because the defensive line is very good at getting to the ball. It doesn't matter who is in the secondary, if Romo is forced to rush his throws, its going to get ugly.

Jason Witten, Jason Witten, Jason Witten is key to the Cowboys attack tomorrow. T.O. and Crayton need to spread out the secondary to open up the underneath route for Witten and Romo has to be smart enough to check down. I'm afraid that if the Patriots go up early, he won't. And they will lose any sort of offensive production.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611

Pat Kirwan made a good point that with so many weapons, it will be impossible to stop New England from moving the ball by taking one away. Dallas has to knock Tom Brady around. Hopefully they can get their outside linebackers matched up on a TE or RB on pass plays as they rush the QB.

On offense, Romo has to be smart. I don't expect Dallas to have early success running the ball so getting Jason Whitten the ball will be key. Keep the game close until the 4th quarter when Marion Barber will be able to run against a tired New England defense. Then, Dallas can play action pass to get Owens, Whitten, or Crayton deep down the field.
GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #13
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewman41 View Post
First off, I hope you guys kick the crap out of the over-rated Pats when you play them.

Anyhow-despite this game being played at TX Stadium, EVERY national media pundit, media outlet, and publication ALL THE WAY DOWN to our DFW media is picking a Pats blowout.

In your opinion, what do we have to do to beat the Pats? And do you think Romo/TO/MB3 and the rest of the Dallas O has what it takes to beat the Pats? And do you think the Dallas D is good enough to contain Brady/Moss and the rest of the Pats O?

Thanks in advance for your input!
for starters romo can't turn the ball over 20 times. I think if I were calling the game I would run the ball more to keep the patriots offense off the field. This could be a make or break game for romo. I think he has been the most over hyped player to start the season
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #14
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Key 1 - (as already stated) Hit Brady early, Hit Brady often
Key 2 - control the game, control the clock, control NE's offense
Key 3 - Get Moss off rhythm and turn him back into the obnoxious TO wannabe that everyone else knows him to be
Key 4 - Protect Romo
Key 5 - You don't need the long ball all the time, use what NE will give you. History will show that if you dink and dunk them, they'll give up some yardage

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:07 PM   #15
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
Key 5 - You don't need the long ball all the time, use what NE will give you. History will show that if you dink and dunk them, they'll give up some yardage
I agree. Ball control to keep Brady and company off the field and use the age of their D against them. If Witten and Barber can help move the chains and churn out sustained drives then that D will be ripe for a big play in the 2nd half.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #16
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines0wnz View Post
I agree. Ball control to keep Brady and company off the field and use the age of their D against them. If Witten and Barber can help move the chains and churn out sustained drives then that D will be ripe for a big play in the 2nd half.

Yep. Pats are good. They are doing very well. But they can be beaten by a very solid running team that can put the ball in the air when needed. Also... you need a very good SS/FS tandem. Moss needs to get laid out the first 3 times he tries to touch the ball.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:57 PM   #17
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

just kill brady baby. thats how you win vs the pats.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:30 AM   #18
Providence Steel
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6523

I think the only team that can beat the Pats right now, in this league, is the Pats. It will take a stellar performance by the opposing team and a lousy performance by the Pats. The Pats are the real deal regardless of their creampuff schedule. As much as I'd like to see them lose to better teams, I see them going 14- 2 if not better....god I hope I'm wrong.

Every Patriots fan in Providence is talking about how the Pats are kick the "you know what" out of Dallas today. Would be nice to see them eat their words.
Providence Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:22 AM   #19
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Simply put...you get in the Patriots red zone and you score...I know as of October 2nd...the Patriots were last in the league. They allowed touchdowns on 100 percent of their opponents' red zone trips. Six passes and one run.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:22 AM   #20
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

As has been said, I think the key is Dallas not turning it over and also giving Brady enough pressure to keep him off balance. Any given Sunday.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote