Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-14-2007, 03:26 AM   #41
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Re: Best Steelers Defense Ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Or could it be because they played ...
The more I read this reply the better the music sounded. Let's cut through the cynasism to get to the cynasism.

Just think if we can find another 14 examples just like it this season... And when you hear echos of the Browns being "Top Tiered" for weekly trivial waging doesn't that sound dysfunctional. Poor opponents might elevate us into a bad draft position.

More than likely it's because we played _______. But a chance that what above the shoulder pads is being impacted by the lastest shift to the new field general might make us pleasantly surprised.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:52 AM   #42
Steeldude
Living Legend

1976 steelers -

Cincinnati Bengals-------------W 23- 6
New York Giants----------------W 27- 0
San Diego Chargers-----------W 23- 0
Kansas City Chiefs-------------W 45- 0
Miami Dolphins------------------W 14- 3
Houston Oilers ------------------W 32-16
Cincinnati Bengals--------------W 7- 3
Tampa Bay Buccaneers-------W 42- 0
Houston Oilers-------------------W 21- 0

steelers - 234

opponents - 28

this 2007 defense has a lot to prove to be better than the steel curtain of the 70's.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:51 AM   #43
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Sounds like ave points per game not far off from '76 Steelers so far. Also wondering if ave PPG for overall league any different than 70's with some of todays high powered offenses?

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #44
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Here is what the 1976 Steelers did in their last 9 games of the 1976 regular season

Cincinnati Bengals 23- 6
at New York Giants 27- 0
San Diego Chargers 23- 0
at Kansas City Chiefs 45- 0
Miami Dolphins 14- 3
Houston Oilers 32-16
at Cincinnati Bengals 7- 3
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 42- 0
at Houston Oilers 21- 0

Comparing the 2007 defense to the 1974-76 defense is laughable.
No-offense to this Forum's younger-members, but those who never saw the '75/'76 defense in-action really might-not be qualified to compare todays, or even the defense of the mid-'90s:
that team was LOADED with Pro-Bowlers and Hall-of-Fame players from sideline to sideline.....
imagine Andy Russell being your 'weakest' line-backer!!!!!

The Steelers played much of the '76 depleted by injuries (which probably kept them from beating Oakland for the AFC Championship that season..... they beat the Dolts 40-14 AT Baltimore in a game that wasn't as-close-as the score indicated! ), yet in many games, instead of punting-away late in the game, Noll went for it on 4th down, with the game already at-hand (to keep the defense off the field ), and the team gained-enough to move the chains anyhow.

Bradshaw had been slammed head-first into the turf at Cleveland by Turkey Jones, and Swann had been laid-out in the opener at Oakland by George Atkinson, so the passing-game was almost non-existent:
as the offense came-off the field, it was said that many times, Greene would say to his passing-teammates "That's OK..... you guys hold-'em, and WE'LL score!"

The Steeler defense of the mid-'70s forced the League to change the rules (legalized open-hand pass-blocking, limiting down-field 'chucks', etc. ), and the game has since become glorified pass-and-tab:
none of today's wide-receivers would've 'pranced' through the Steelers secondary withour fear of short-neck diesease.

The best defense in NFL history played long-before the advent of mugging for the camera after making a common tackle, hoping to get shown on ESPN's SportsCenter.

Last edited by 4xSBChamps; 10-14-2007 at 07:01 PM.
4xSBChamps is offline   Reply With Quote