Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-16-2007, 10:26 AM   #11
SteelFist
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 84
Default Re: the "big quarter" package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
Excellent point
I agree. Especially Brady....he always steps up in the pocket. Look for them to blitz Farrior/Foote up the middle. Though I think Farrior is more effective.

"That guy across from me, he has to do one or two things, either raise his level of play or get his a-- kicked all day" - Greg Lloyd
SteelFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:56 AM   #12
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
I read he was practicing as a MLB. I assume this means 3-4 MLB as we dont run a 4-3
When discussing a 3-4 they usually say ILB not MLB---since there are two ILB and no real "middle" one. We don't have a 4-3 as our base defense, but we've been known to use a 4-3 formation at certain times. I think all the "rules" about what the Steelers D does and does not do are being blown right out the window. We're unpredictible and I like it!
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #13
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

It sounds like they might be getting Timmons ready to play MLB in a nickel or dime package in order to utilize his speed and athleticism in coverages
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:41 PM   #14
BurghZ0n3
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7054

...as far as I know...we've been using 3-4 formation for decades! Any new scheme might have or have NOT a great impact on the D rosters,....again, Le Beau is the Man!
Old 10-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #15
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,184 Times in 3,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFist View Post
Tony,
I've never read anywhere where Timmons was being trained as a 4-3 MLB. Are u sure? Its interesting if true.
maybe i was thinking of the speculation that he will be converted to mlb if we ever switch to 4-3, and thinking of farrior as an mlb when he is the only lb on the field. heres the recent article on timmons:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_532528.html

Quote:
Timmons is a tantalizing prospect because of his blend of size and speed.

He is 6-foot-1 and 234 pounds, yet he is fast enough that the Steelers have used him as a gunner on their punt coverage team.

As Parker can attest, Timmons is a hard hitter, but he seems just as comfortable dropping back into pass coverage as he does rushing the quarterback.

His ability to "play in space," as coach Mike Tomlin calls it, may be one reason why the Steelers have Timmons practicing at both inside and outside linebacker.

Timmons said he could play inside linebacker on one of the Steelers' subpackages, presumably a pass defense one in which Timmons would cover the tight end.

"Learning both positions, it puts a lot on you," said Timmons, who was the 15th overall pick of last April's draft. "I think I'm getting better than I was at training camp."
whats interesting is with just the replacement of clark or smith with timmons (if he can learn the safety position in this package), we could easilly disguise our quarter package as a conventional 4-3 (assuming timmons, polamalu, and farrior are the 3 backers).

i think this grouping is perfect to combat a no huddle/spread formation offense where they wanna catch you with your pants down and not allow you to do substitutions.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #16
SteelFist
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i think this grouping is perfect to combat a no huddle/spread formation offense where they wanna catch you with your pants down and not allow you to do substitutions.
Most definitely.

Especially against a team like the Patriots who love to put two TE's on the field to force a defense to use a base package, and then line up in a 4WR set.

"That guy across from me, he has to do one or two things, either raise his level of play or get his a-- kicked all day" - Greg Lloyd
SteelFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #17
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,184 Times in 3,487 Posts

heres another example of what our "big quarter" package can do-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessi...o&confirm=true

Quote:
2. The four-man rush against the shotgun quick-pass package

More and more teams are neutralizing defenses with a four-man front by utilizing a shotgun or quick-pass philosophy. If an offensive coordinator looks at a defense and sees a 4-3 scheme and concludes that none of the four defensive linemen can convert to linebackers in passing situations, then that triggers a shotgun or quick-pass package. The Titans, Bears, Packers, Redskins and Jaguars among other teams that have forceful four-man fronts. They get after an offense like the front fours of days gone bye. As one offensive coach said, "Whenever we can get a defense to waste a player in a rush look who will not effect the pass play, then by utilizing a quick game from the gun we win." A prominent defensive end in a 4-3 scheme said this week, "We have to start popping one of our linemen out of the rush and occupying an underneath zone instead of wasting a rusher because we just don't get to the quarterback enough the way we do it."

The truth is that rushing three players and dropping eight will get the quarterback to hold the ball. In the end that will give the three man rush a better chance at pressuring or sacking the quarterback. Look at Tennessee, for example. The Titans have an excellent four-man rush but they only have eight sacks and never got to Jeff Garcia of the Bucs last week because he got rid of the ball so quickly. I wonder if dropping an end would have gotten Garcia to hold the ball two seconds longer and allow a three-man rush to get to him? That's the question on the mind of a number of defensive coordinators facing the shotgun quick-pass attack.
b. keisel is our defensive end who can convert to a linebacker in passing situations. infact, in our big quarter package, hoke, hampton and smith line up in the 3 point stance. keisel stands on the line with no hands down and it doesnt tip off if he is rushing or dropping back into coverage.

hoke and hampton need double teamed, leaving 1 lineman matched up on aaron smith one on one. should open lanes for a blitzer (polamalu, townsend or both).

if we rely on just the 3 to get pressure we have farrior and keisel dropping into the underneath zone and still have taylor, smith, townsend, mcfadden, clark, and polamalu in coverage. no matter what 5 any team tries to spread us out in, we have 8 players solid in zone coverage, to combat it.

now most offenses (especially 1 like the colts) will see a team with 6 db's and go spread formation, hurry up so the defenses cant make substitutions, and run the ball against the 3 man front. that works good with most defenses but running against hoke, hampton, smith, farrior, polamalu, and keisel in the box is no walk in the park. especially when the group of db's behind them 1-6 are the hardest hitting, run stuffing secondary in the league.

tomlin and lebeau have correctly anticipated growing offensive trends with the development of this scheme. it shows they are ahead of the curve and not playing catch up.

and to think were only talking about the vanilla base package of 4-1-6 coverage. imagine when they start throwing wrinkles into that such as keisel, polamalu, and farrior moving around and roaming before the snap. we have only seen the baby step stages of what this defense can do.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #18
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,583 Posts

i'd even throw hines ward in as safety.....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #19
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Great stuff Tony. You brought up a great point before about Timmons also. If he can get up to speed mentaly and technically he can replace Farrior or one of the DBs in the slot. His speed and athletisism, tackling ability and the fact that he hits like a truck would negate the running game even more (combined with Farrior, replacing a DB) and create even more confusion at the line of scrimmage.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #20
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFist View Post
Especially against a team like the Patriots who love to put two TE's on the field to force a defense to use a base package, and then line up in a 4WR set.
Absolutely, or even when the RB splits out wide. I would love to see Timmons or Farrior jamming Moss in the slot then blitz letting him go into an underneath coverage by Kiesel and over the top coverage by the safety, waiting to break his ribs.

Did I mention I think about this all the time.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote