Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #51
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,084 Times in 4,585 Posts
Default Re: Marvin Lewis calls out his players

jason whitlock hits a home run with this one:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7296680

Quote:
8. Marvin Lewis is learning the lesson Dennis Green learned in Minnesota: Don't turn your team over to wide receivers.

Remember when Dennis Green partnered up with Randy Moss and Cris Carter and basically named them assistants to the head coach? Moss and Carter went wherever Denny went. Denny fought to get Randy a mammoth contract.

How'd that work out for Denny?

The exact same way Marvin Lewis' partnership with Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh is working out. T.J. yelled at Marvin about play-calling on the sideline during Cincy's embarrassing loss to the Patriots. Johnson continues to bojangle for the cameras at every opportunity and turn the Cincy sideline into a re-enactment of "Flavor of Love." - "Flava Flaaaaave!"

T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chad Johnson may be somewhat entertaining, but does anyone see them as coaching material? ( / Getty Images)

And guess what? Marvin could be overheard by the media screaming at his team about being selfish and telling his team that the coaches will call the plays without being second-guessed by the players (receivers).

Johnson and Houshmandzadeh are great players. You can win with them. But if you coddle them, they will undermine team discipline. If Lewis continues to allow Johnson to play by one set of rules and turn the Bengals into Chad's personal reality show, the team will not come out of this funk.

Just ask Denny Green.

Marvin can't ask 52 guys to play like men and allow Johnson to tap dance and shuffle for the amusement of a TV audience. Yes, I realize TV broadcasters are fond of gushing about how much they love Johnson and how "fun" he is.

Johnson isn't the first black man to be loved for bojangling. But there isn't a long list of bojangling idiots who led their teams to Super Bowl titles.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:08 PM   #52
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Johnson continues to bojangle for the cameras at every opportunity and turn the Cincy sideline into a re-enactment of "Flavor of Love." - "Flava Flaaaaave!"
That's priceless. Does Marvin Lewis play 'New York'?

Real team player right there. Let me guess? Chad is just misunderstood? Or wait, we just don't get "it" when it comes to Chad Johnson's sense of humor, right?

Give me a break.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:24 PM   #53
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I disagree about Johnson. It's proper to feel remorse for the child, but he's beyond redemption as an adult. There was a chance in college maybe, but he was passed through the system (there's no way Chad passed any college level classes on his own), and he's always had TJ there to keep him at least semi-manageable, but this punk is a couple bad games from a complete meltdown, and I mean like a Brittany Spears type breakdown.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #54
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post

Real team player right there. Let me guess? Chad is just misunderstood? Or wait, we just don't get "it" when it comes to Chad Johnson's sense of humor, right?

Give me a break.
but of course. go get em chad!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:25 PM   #55
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Old 10-05-2007, 04:54 AM   #56
NateC
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5543

Lol. Listen im glad he is not on my team .
But he is Great for the League.
And all that "Bojangling is making him millions along with his millions from catching Passes.

If he Gave a Hoot About Winning Championships he would Knock off Getting CHippy with his QB, and just submit and bow dow. For the sake of winning..

But he a Big Star, and he wanna be that.

As Long as he Casuing Drama, errrrr Drama FOllowing Him, Thats good for the Steelers. So As I have always Been.. Im Still behind Chad.
NateC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:56 AM   #57
NateC
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5543

BTW i Met Flava Flave At the Local Rite Aid... He is a Kind Man who only SHow'd me Love with a Handshake and a Kind word. Yea, he is a "CLown" But as long as somone is laughing Praise God thats a Laugh they wouldnt have had without him./// To FLAVE"S Continued Success!

Hip Hip HOrrraY
NateC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #58
tony hipchest
Supporter

wow. jason whitlock is still swinging... and still knocking them out da park!

this article could be seen as controversial and will undoubtedly have whitlock called an uncle tom-

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7343980

Quote:
NFL truth: Hip-hop culture hurting NFL
Jason Whitlock

You get one NFL Truth today. Watching Chad Johnson and Larry Johnson undermine their respective head coaches, Marvin Lewis and Herm Edwards, on Sunday gave me a singular focus, forced me to contemplate an uncomfortable truth.

African-American football players caught up in the rebellion and buffoonery of hip hop culture have given NFL owners and coaches a justifiable reason to whiten their rosters. That will be the legacy left by Chad, Larry and Tank Johnson, Pacman Jones, Terrell Owens, Michael Vick and all the other football bojanglers.
In terms of opportunity for American-born black athletes, they're going to leave the game in far worse shape than they found it.

It's already starting to happen. A little-publicized fact is that the Colts and the Patriots — the league's model franchises — are two of the whitest teams in the NFL. If you count rookie receiver Anthony Gonzalez, the Colts opened the season with an NFL-high 24 white players on their 53-man roster. Toss in linebacker Naivote Taulawakeiaho "Freddie" Keiaho and 47 percent of Tony Dungy's defending Super Bowl-champion roster is non-African-American. Bill Belichick's Patriots are nearly as white, boasting a 23-man non-African-American roster, counting linebacker Tiaina "Junior" Seau and backup quarterback Matt Gutierrez.
did he just say that? edgy indeed

Quote:
I take you to Arrowhead Stadium this past Sunday when two competent and respected black head coaches led the Chiefs and the Bengals in battle, and their efforts were periodically sabotaged by Chad and Larry Johnson, the two players Lewis and Edwards have defended the most.

Football fans are aware of Lewis' love affair with Chad Johnson, the Flavor Flav of the gridiron. Johnson's insistence on conducting a minstrel show during games has long been reluctantly tolerated by Lewis. Johnson, I guess, is just too talented, productive and well-compensated for Lewis to discipline. So Lewis has chosen to enable, going as far as making excuses when Johnson's selfish behavior extended to an alleged locker-room shoving match with coaches (including a swing at Lewis) at halftime of the Bengals' Jan. 8, 2006 playoff loss to the Steelers.
"flava flav of the gridiron"? "conducting a minstrel show"??? hilarious!

Quote:
What we're witnessing today are purposeless, selfish acts of buffoonery. Sensible people have grown tired of it. Football people are recognizing it doesn't contribute to a winning environment.
long article. lots of great points... but mostly its fun to read CJ getting slammed. (for some reason ive got Jethro Tull's "minstrel in the gallery" playing in my head.)
Old 10-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #59
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,519 Times in 3,752 Posts

If a white reporter wrote that he or she would probably be fired - so a coach has a "justifiable" reason to discriminate against an African-American player even if that player is not part of "hip-hop culture"?

Would be interested to hear what someone like Tony Dungy or James Farrior thinks about that.

Whitlock makes some valid points about it being a cultural and not a racial issue but I hope he was just sloppy with his choice of words when he wrote discriminating against someone on the basis of their race is "justifiable."
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #60
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,415 Times in 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
If a white reporter wrote that he or she would probably be fired....
Probably? More like definitely. Followed by a solid week of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson all over the stinking airwaves bitching about it, then followed in quick succession by a 7-to-8 figure lawsuit.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote