Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-18-2007, 11:20 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Notebook 10/19/07 (Hampton expects to play)

Steelers Notebook: Hampton expects to play vs. Broncos
Friday, October 19, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton returned to practice yesterday and said he intends to play Sunday against the Denver Broncos. He also said he's not worried about having any breathing problems in the mile-high altitude.

"I'm going to be tired regardless," Hampton said. "It ain't like I'm running 100-yard sprints."

Perhaps, although Hampton's teammates are teasing the 320-pound nose tackle that he might have problems merely running off the field. Hampton comes out of the game in most third-down situations.

"That's a 50-yard sprint for him coming off the field," linebacker Clark Haggans said.

Hampton did not play in the Oct. 7 game against Seattle because of a hamstring injury. He sat out practice during the open week and made his return yesterday, taking his usual rotation with the first-team defense.

"I'm going to try to play," Hampton said. "If I feel like I can go and contribute, I'll play. If I can't, I won't."

Nickel back Bryant McFadden (ankle sprain) was limited in practice and is not expected to play against the Broncos.

Tight end Jerame Tuman (back spasms) missed practice for the second day in a row.

Low hit

Safety Anthony Smith is the second Steelers player to be fined by the National Football League for a low hit on a quarterback this season.

A league spokesman said Smith was fined $7,500 for a play in which he was penalized 15 yards for hitting Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck in the knee area in an Oct. 7 game at Heinz Field.

During the preseason, defensive end Brett Keisel was fined $12,500 by the league for a low hit on Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell.

Wide receiver out

Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker, who caught two touchdowns and scored on a 72-yard reverse in last year's game at Heinz Field, is scheduled to have arthroscopic knee surgery today in Houston and will not play against the Steelers.

Walker practiced two days this week after missing the past two games with swelling in his knee.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said he was a "little surprised" by Walker's latest setback because he practiced at full speed Monday.

He will be replaced in the starting lineup by Brandon Stokley.

Hear the noise

For the first time this season, head coach Mike Tomlin used artificial crowd noise for the first-team offense in practice. But, because practice was held inside, the decibel level was higher than most players could remember.

"It gave me a headache," said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

Tomlin used crowd noise in practice to prepare the defense for a home game against Seattle. But, after the Steelers had four false-start penalties in their previous road game in Arizona, he decided to use the noise yesterday to prepare the offense.

"It's more of a distraction than anything else," Arians said. "The silent count is silent count, whether there's noise or no noise. There's no excuse to have an offside penalty in noise. The ones in Arizona were totally ridiculous and I don't anticipate those being a problem."

Tomlin ranked

The Sporting News ranks all the head coaches, from No. 1 to No. 32, in this week's issue, and Mike Tomlin of the Steelers is the only rookie coach to crack the top 10. Tomlin was ranked No. 10, ahead of Super Bowl-winning coaches Brian Billick of the Baltimore Ravens and Tampa Bay's Jon Gruden.

Shanahan, who was ranked No. 3, said he does not know Tomlin personally. But his son, Kyle, was a quality control coach in Tampa Bay when Tomlin was the secondary coach.

"He told me he had a guy on his staff that would be a head coach in the National Football League in a short time, and he was talking about Mike," Shanahan said. "And he was right."

Dick LeBeau was ranked as the No. 1 defensive coordinator in the league and Bruce Arians was ranked No. 5 among offensive coordinators by the magazine.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07292/826720-66.stm
Old 10-18-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Notebook 10/19/07 (Hampton expects to play)

Quote:
Wide receiver out

Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker, who caught two touchdowns and scored on a 72-yard reverse in last year's game at Heinz Field, is scheduled to have arthroscopic knee surgery today in Houston and will not play against the Steelers.

Walker practiced two days this week after missing the past two games with swelling in his knee.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said he was a "little surprised" by Walker's latest setback because he practiced at full speed Monday.

He will be replaced in the starting lineup by Brandon Stokley.
He does all that talking and then doesn't even play? Real team player right there. I wonder if him and CJ are related?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
He does all that talking and then doesn't even play? Real team player right there. I wonder if him and CJ are related?
Agreed he was suposed to be the big man this week and then run off and have surgery.
That is good news hearing hampton is coming back can't wait for the game.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Ahh "Big Snack" ... not only is he a pro bowler, but comedy relief at the same time.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote