Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #11
TroysBadDawg
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 6617
Default Re: Bad year in NFL

It is my belief that the NFL is into parity, they want all team to be equal, with money, talent, and everything else. It then falls on the coaches to produce the better team.

In my opinion it will never word. They are doing what the government wants the schools to do, by trying to make everything equal. All children have to pass the same standardized test. Even some may be gifted in music others in math or science they have to pass the same test. They want pencil boxes out of all children even though some are more like violins, others more like cedar chests, while yet others should be entertainment centers, they want pencil boxes out of all of them. A standardized test in school, free agency and salary caps in football plus profit sharing with team that has less of a fan bases than other teams. The NFL wants all teams being equal and on the same playing field.

Sorry but what ever happened to free enterprise in this country? Taking chances, with the risk of failure; Thomas Edison did it when working on the light bulb. If he didn’t how would be lighting the football field today, oil lamps?

Kids go out for football or baseball knowing they will not be cut, because that just doesn’t happen unless you are playing on a select team. Then the coaches become more of baby sitters than coaches to some, but let the parents scream if their kids come home and say the coach yelled at them. The parents are never at practice, never at games but are the first to scream if their poor little one is yelled at, no matter what the precious little did to get yelled at.

Sorry got off the subject, I’m ADD you know. Just ask my college professors, they will tell you.

ADD and being old, what a combination. You not only forget what you were writing about, but forget why you were writing about it.

Here We Go Brownies Here We Go Woof Woof
Americanos dicen ingl?s, Aprietan dos para Deportaci?
TroysBadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #12
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

The fact that every team has an equal chance due to the salary cap is a big part of what makes the NFL the most popular sport.

Otherwise the big market teams would spend thier way to the top. Yankee fans don't care if they spend 4 times as much as the next team. They think having more money is what makes thier team great.

Just like patsie fans don't care if thier team is a bunch of freakin cheaters.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #13
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

It's always been that way, TBD; it was like that when I went to school in the '60s, and probably like that for generations before, too. It's up to those who are different and better in some ways to have the DRIVE and the WILL to overcome the regimentation. Just being talented is never enough.

The teams with the best grasp of the intangibles will always rise. There will always be a group of cautious teams in the middle, and there will be some clueless teams that have lost their way ('07 Bengals) on the bottom.

"Game manager" quarterbacks usually have those high passer ratings; could the lower numbers this year be a reaction to the recent criticism of the "game manager" style of play? I don't think so, but it's worht considering for a moment. The teams that have been coming up from the bottom, Detroit, Cleve, Ariz, etc, have been making their mark by putting up mucho points; Big risk offenses put up massive scores, but low passer ratings. I didn't go look at the stats boards to comfirm this (typing in the middle of a busy workday), but maybe someone else wants to.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #14
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

When a team can sign a guy in his 40s that has been at home watching games to come and play for them is a sign the play isn't that great. It isn't even like Vinnie came to camp and earned a spot he was called because they couldn't find anyone else.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #15
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroysBadDawg View Post
ADD and being old, what a combination. You not only forget what you were writing about, but forget why you were writing about it.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #16
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Great franchises will do well in most any circumstance as poorly run franchises will do poorly under most business models. The teams that were poorly run before the cap are still poorly run and visa versa.

Still, those that don't like the salary cap need to remember the words of Jerry Jones. I believe it was two contracts ago, when he basically admitted he didn't have the votes to override the Rooney's and other owners who wanted to keep the revenue sharing and salary cap in place as is (because they go together). Anyway, Jones said something like, "I know no one cares about my opinion, but someday they will."

And if you think about it, with the older guard dying off, sadly Jones might have a point. Remember the guy is building a billion dollar stadium. Just think of the extra revenue that stadium will bring in. I think the Rooney's are the best owners in sports. While I believe they would stay competitive for a while without the cap or revenue sharing, eventually even the Rooney's wouldn’t be able to compete without the two mechanisms that ensure some parity in finances.

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 10-19-2007 at 05:56 PM.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #17
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,069 Times in 2,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
Great franchises will do well in most any circumstance as poorly run franchises will do poorly under most business models. The teams that were poorly run before the cap are still poorly run and visa versa.

Still, those that don't like the salary cap need to remember the words of Jerry Jones. I believe it was two contracts ago, when he basically admitted he didn't have the votes to override the Rooney's and other owners who wanted to keep the revenue sharing and salary cap in place as is (because they go together). Anyway, Jones said something like, "I know one cares about my opinion, but someday they will."

And if you think about it, with the older guard dying off, sadly Jones might have a point. Remember the guy is building a billion dollar stadium. Just think of the extra revenue that stadium will bring in. I think the Rooney's are the best owners in sports. While I believe they would stay competitive for a while without the cap or revenue sharing, eventually even the Rooney's wouldn?t be able to compete without the two mechanisms that ensure some parity in finances.
great points and well said. its like a family business going corporate.

the rooneys pretty much only have football money to draw from or fall back on. far cry from the blanks, jones, krafts, snyders of the league (or mark cubans or maloofs of NBA) who can pretty much buy a team as a hobby to fulfill a dream, much like normal people would purchase a dream car, boat, or house.

blanks, jones, krafts, snyders of the league buying an nfl team = how uber rich dudes deal with a mid-life crisis.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:41 AM   #18
TroysBadDawg
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 6617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
It's always been that way, TBD; it was like that when I went to school in the '60s, and probably like that for generations before, too. It's up to those who are different and better in some ways to have the DRIVE and the WILL to overcome the regimentation. Just being talented is never enough.
I remember when

Before free agency, salery cap, grass rules, you had real football. Ball was live until the ref blew it dead. (No I not going to add a Monica joke, she wasn't a ref. and she was after the grass rule. different grass too.) There was no such thing as throwing out of bounds, it was intentional grounding. QB's had to be tough (see Johny Unitus, Otto Grahm, Finks, Dawson, to name just some) When a person was tackled and the offensive player tried to get up first or while the defensive player was still above them, they were pushed back down. No such thing as unsportsman like conduct call, no Television time outs in a game, advertising was sold as time allowed, and it was squeezed in on time outs, injuries, halftime.
That was old football. That was real football. Oh that was when we walked to school in 10 feet of snow, barefoot, up hill bothways, oh I remember it well. Howdy Doody, Buffalo Bob, Winky Dink, 45 records, sock hops, what was I talking about????

Here We Go Brownies Here We Go Woof Woof
Americanos dicen ingl?s, Aprietan dos para Deportaci?
TroysBadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #19
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post

Still, those that don't like the salary cap need to remember the words of Jerry Jones. I believe it was two contracts ago, when he basically admitted he didn't have the votes to override the Rooney's and other owners who wanted to keep the revenue sharing and salary cap in place as is (because they go together). Anyway, Jones said something like, "I know no one cares about my opinion, but someday they will."

And if you think about it, with the older guard dying off, sadly Jones might have a point. Remember the guy is building a billion dollar stadium. Just think of the extra revenue that stadium will bring in. I think the Rooney's are the best owners in sports. While I believe they would stay competitive for a while without the cap or revenue sharing, eventually even the Rooney's wouldn’t be able to compete without the two mechanisms that ensure some parity in finances.
As our society as a whole spins more and more out of control and the players coming into the league reflect this "me first" attitude (see Chad Johson), the teams that embrace an Old School mentality will be the ones with the most success.

In the early 80's the Rooneys were criticized for being too conservative and unwilling to change thier basic philosophy to adapt to "The modern game". Yet today that philosophy is why the Steelers are one of the most successful franchises in the league.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:16 PM   #20
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886

I agree and if you notice more teams are grabbing the Steelers philosophy. I know Holmgren and Fisher and even Billick. are great coaches. But i believe that fact that the Steelers stuck with Cower and until he won a Superbowl may extend their coaching careers with their teams. There are a few other teams that I would say their organizations do a great job two are the Packers and the Bears.

As for parity its not only due to free agency its also due to the fact that athletes are conditioned at and earlier age and with technology are even better conditioned each year. Athletes are no longer separated just because they are bigger or stronger. Now its because of mental sharpness, defensive and offensive awareness and special talent. There are tones of players in the NFL that are Devin Hester's size and have his speed. The only thing that separates them is his vision and talent. But that only comes along once in a while. Strength and speed are very close in todays NFL thats is also why parity is increasing.

If you randomly picked 20 starting offensive linemen they would all bench-press around 25-30 times, all run a 4.8 to 5.4 sec 40, all would be in the hight range of 6'3" to 6'7", and all would weigh 330 to 360. The only thing that separates them is God given talent. I do love the parity it creates more fans and causes the NFL as a whole to be more entertaining. But the basic play has definitely tapered off.