Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 10-18-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default 10 years ago: The 1997 Steelers

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=68#s=68&f=1897&t=1246373

Frankly, I'll be willing to admit, I didn't start following the Steelers religiously until the next year(I was just a young kid during the 90's).

The 1997 Steelers had a great year filled with exciting finishes, but after that AFC Title game loss vs. the Donkeys, who would've known that from that moment on, it was the beginning of the end for Kordell, and the Steelers wouldn't make the playoffs for another four seasons, including two sub .500 years in a row. The Late 90's, how I remember them well... bleh.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:07 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,305 Times in 1,405 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: 10 years ago: The 1997 Steelers

I have been a steeler fan since the 70's the smartest move I ever made.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:51 AM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post

Frankly, I'll be willing to admit, I didn't start following the Steelers religiously until the next year(I was just a young kid during the 90's).

The 1997 Steelers had a great year filled with exciting finishes, but after that AFC Title game loss vs. the Donkeys, who would've known that from that moment on, it was the beginning of the end for Kordell, and the Steelers wouldn't make the playoffs for another four seasons, including two sub .500 years in a row. The Late 90's, how I remember them well... bleh.
Be thankful you didn't live through the 80's!!!!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:27 AM   #4
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
Isn't that the truth. That is when I became a Steelers fan. Good old Bubby Brister and his mom constantly on TV. Never considered cheering for another team though, my family would killed me.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post

The decline of that team after 1997 illustrates 2 points: coaching matters and don't let the players dictate hiring deisions.

IMO Kordell's skills and flaws would have been better handled if Chan Gailey would have remained as offensive coordinator through at least 1998.

Instead, Gailey became HC of the Cowboys and Kordell allegedly was given input into the decision to hire the infamous Ray Sherman as O-coordinator. Sherman was so bad that Cowher stripped him of play calling responsibilities before firing him at the end of only one season. Then it was on to Kevin Gilbride trying to turn Stewart into a pocket passer and the team becoming so bad that Cowher almost lost his job after the 1999 season. Whiel Kordell had a very good 2001 regular season, his confidence & mechanics were shot.

A similar inmates running the asylum downward spiral quite possibly would have resulted if Grimm would have been hired over Tomlin.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:09 AM   #6
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Yeah, Kevin Gilbride was about he worst possible coach Kordell could have had. His offense way too complicated for the simple minded Kordell
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
aries4972
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6890

I was born in 1972 ...officially been a Steeler fan 9 months prior to that!!
aries4972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #8
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The decline of that team after 1997 illustrates 2 points: coaching matters and don't let the players dictate hiring deisions.

IMO Kordell's skills and flaws would have been better handled if Chan Gailey would have remained as offensive coordinator through at least 1998.

Instead, Gailey became HC of the Cowboys and Kordell allegedly was given input into the decision to hire the infamous Ray Sherman as O-coordinator. Sherman was so bad that Cowher stripped him of play calling responsibilities before firing him at the end of only one season. Then it was on to Kevin Gilbride trying to turn Stewart into a pocket passer and the team becoming so bad that Cowher almost lost his job after the 1999 season. Whiel Kordell had a very good 2001 regular season, his confidence & mechanics were shot.

A similar inmates running the asylum downward spiral quite possibly would have resulted if Grimm would have been hired over Tomlin.
I think after that 1997 AFC Title game loss and the collapse afterward caused some of the fanbase started to turn against Cowher. My memory still stings over how horrible those late 90's teams were. The offense couldn't move the ball for crap. I remember it getting so bad that Cowher tried Kordell back at the WR position again against Jacksonville in 1999.

Yes, Gailey leaving after '97 was bad, but it was in 2001 that it was finally confirmed that Kordell just didn't have "it". He had a pretty good resurrection year, but he was making the same stupid mistakes he was making in '97. 2001 AFC title game loss vs. Pats ring a bell? For some of you that don't, Korky tossed 3 horrible INT's in that game too.

It just makes me wonder that if Cowher would've stayed after last year, he would've put more time into Ben as much as he did Kordell. But with the latest reports that Cowher DID NOT want Ben in 2004, and with Cowher's supposed habit of scapegoating/neglecting players that weren't "his guys"(Ike Taylor), I would hinge my answer on no.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
Be thankful you didn't live through the '60s! I remember a really young Myron Cope doing his pre-season analysis on KDKA; "It looks like it's going to be S-O-S again this year; same old Steelers!" Being a Steelers fan back then was like being a Buccos fan today. The Steelers were the red-headed stepchild of the city, playing in a baseball stadium.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #10
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

The 1970's were football's version of heaven for me.

The 1980-1991 was filled with bad football and a pre-Kordell version...Mark Malone...quite possibly the worst QB I have ever seen...and definitely the worst Steelers QB I have ever seen. Chuck Noll should have retired a good 5-7 years before he did. No disrespect towards the man, but his teams from 1985 through 1991 were dreadful.

1992-1997 - Loved the Cowher years from 1992 through 1997 and loved the passion he showed. The 1997 Championship game would have been won had the Steelers not gotten greedy when leading 14-10 where Kordell threw into double coverage in the end zone. He had a freaking 1st Down had he just taken the ball down and run it. The 1994 defense is still one of my favorite defensive units we have had. They don't compare to the 70's group, but I loved to watch them play. We should have won that SB against the Cowboys.

1998-2000 - The end of the Donahoe reign in Pittsburgh....thank goodness!!!!!! The 1999 draft still marks the angriest I have ever been at the Steelers during draft day when they passed on Kearse for Edwards.

2001-2005 - Other than 1 year, this period of time rivaled the 1992 through 1997 years as Cowher's best 5-6 year span. As a matter of fact, it was better due to the SB victory.

2006 - Horrible year and focus by the team. It was sweet to knock the Bengals out of the playoffs though for the 2nd straight year. That was the only redeeming item to this entire season.

2007 - I feel the same way about this team as I did about the 1992 team. I love the enthusiasm and energy this team plays with. This year is going to be really special.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote