Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-18-2007, 01:29 AM   #11
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106
Default Re: Serious question about Sports Teams?Steelers/Sports related

I hear you about being young and taking loses hard. I'm 21 and know that I was a bear after the Cardinals game, while my dad the next day just pointed out a few observations, where things went wrong, and shrugged.

The bottom line is the game's about passion and rooting for laundry.

And I love laundry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klick81 View Post
I love lamp.
Not to mention a good lamp.

EDIT: and sorry to disregard the question in such a joking matter. I see you were asking a "serious" question. To be honest I can't explain it. The Steelers are part of my culture. And recently its been a winning culture. I hate to see that change. I'd like to take the Pirates very serious, but how can I. At my age, I haven't really seen a successful Pirates team. Losing is what I've always associated with the Buccos so I only feel any sort of emotion when they drop a close one or win. Its about culture, I guess. This team is so much more than a football team.

There are people on this board with different ideas about foreign policy, morals, political affiliation, etc, etc. Yet we are all invested in the Pittsburgh Steelers, so we all meet here and (don't always agree) but have at least that in common.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:52 PM   #12
steelermuzik
Water Boy

Member Number: 5642

I think I fall in line with this response:

"All in all, I've had a lot of change in my life, but the Steelers were a constant. No matter what, every September the Steelers take the field for a new season, a fresh start, and even if the names on the back of the jerseys change, the name on the front doesn't. The Steelers (I also feel the same way about all the sports I watch) are an anchor in my life. No matter what my personal life is like at the time, the Steelers will always play on Sundays in the Fall, without fail."

I feel we sometimes fill our lives with empty pleasures that are non memorable down the road. However, I can remember every game I've ever watched. To me Sundays games are my favorite show, a 'reality show' with much more meaning than the other shows out there. And our Steelers are my favorite character. I root for them, whether or not they make the right decisions, always hoping for the best but still loving them at their worst. Because of this, each game has it's own story that unfolds and drama that entails and it keeps me tuned in for the next episode and I look forward to following their story each year.

I know this may seem cheezy to some, but to me the Steelers are the only worthy (and healthy) escape from the woes of the world for me and the only worthy 'show' of watching. With all the negatives that are out there in the world, nothing quite helps me escape it like a Steeler Sunday. Of course, there are other more important things in life. And I do cherish the off season to catch up with those. But, I look forward to each year knowing the Steelers will be there to entertain.

Just thought I'd give my two cents.
steelermuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634

I spend all day Sunday watching games(every play of the Steeler game, then whatever else I can catch during commercials). Then, I spend a lot of time on Monday talking about the game. Tuesdays are for talking about what I didn't talk about on Monday. Wednesday, Thursday , and Friday are for the upcoming games. Then, on Sunday it starts over.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #14
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

Personally, I am just a sore loser. I take it to heart.

Hipchest thanks for providing the reference...

...Football!!!
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:15 PM   #15
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I've been thinking about this question all day since I first read it and I've got the following answers:

1) It affects me so much because I've put in a lot of years with this team and been throw thick and thin with them. They have become my "other" family. When they are up, I'm up and when they are down, I'm down. However, what happens is sometimes the fantasy of this family can overtake the reality of my true family. Therefore, it creates stress that is not necessary.

2) Since the birth of my daughter, and the contant changes in her, my ties - although still strong with the Steelers - with the team have changed. Even when the Steelers lose lately, coming home to a 2 year old daughter calling you out to play in her room or on the bed changes everything.

3) I will forever be a Steelers fan and I'm raising my daughter to be the same. In the last week I've taught her to say, "Polamalu", "Big Ben", and "Fast Willie Parker" which have never sounded cuter than coming out of a 2 year old. Anyway, I digress - I will forever be a fan but I've come to the crossroads in my life that I have to make the choice not to allow my life to be adversely affected by a game (at least until my daughter becomes the first female kicker in NFL history to kick a game winning field goal - for none other than our beloved Steelers)!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:03 PM   #16
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

I have always worshiped my G-Father...he like my Dad was born and raised in Pittsburgh...My G-Father watched the STEELERS at home on 3 TV's, so he wouldn't miss a play..

I just had to be a STEELERS fan like him... I loved him ( my late G-Father ) and I love the STEELERS!

When we won SB XL I had a good cry and looked to the sky , and said "Grandpa we finally got one for you! ".......

Go STEELERS in 07! We can do it! and we don't cheat!!!!!!!
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #17
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Well, as for me, I think the reason is obvious. I've lived in a bunch of different places. I've held a bunch of jobs, and have had a bunch of different bosses. All in all, I've had a lot of change in my life, but the Steelers were a constant. No matter what, every September the Steelers take the field for a new season, a fresh start, and even if the names on the back of the jerseys change, the name on the front doesn't. The Steelers (I also feel the same way about all the sports I watch) are an anchor in my life. No matter what my personal life is like at the time, the Steelers will always play on Sundays in the Fall, without fail.
I know what you mean. Having lived most of my life in or near Pittsburgh, I've felt somewhat marooned in NJ over the last 4+ years. The Steelers, and the Steeler Nation, have helped me feel connected to what will always and forever be my home, even though I will probably never live there again.

When I lived in Pittsburgh, I wasn't really one to be bummed out for days after a loss (except for those AFCCG losses and Super Bowl XXX), but since we've left I find myself in mourning for three or four days when we lose (yep, last year was TOUGH). I've mentioned this before on another thread, but I care so much about the outcome of Steeler games that I don't actually enjoy watching them in the moment, unless they're blowouts in our favor and I can relax and enjoy - I'm a nervous wreck. I literally averaged two hours sleep a night during the two weeks leading up to Super Bowl XL. Crazy, isn't it? And when the Steelers play at home on national TV and I see shots of downtown, I get a lump in my throat.

Even though I have a full and busy life where I live, I guess the constant of the Steelers represents my lifeline to home. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:09 PM   #18
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borski View Post
Maybe I am over affected by it, but when we are losing I am stressed out and if we lose I feel depressed for a day (sometimes more depending on the scale of the game) but if we win its completely the opposite! I feel pumped up and feel great.

I only miss games if there are very important things (such as family/friend problem/issue/emergencys) that get in the way.
The same way applies with me. I never make plans for Steeler games and if they lose are are losing i get upset and mad, but never give up on them.

I watch every game to the end no matter what and if we win im as happy as can be.

And to answer your question its because i love my Steeler's to death born and raised a fan here in Pitt, and my jpb is to back my team up and always be with them in the times of good and the times of bad!

Its a steelers life for me!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote