Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
thebus36idf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6089
Default Sorry Last nights game begs the question

Still think we can beat New England or the Colts, or even the Jags. Suddenly I'm very worried. However I can remember very well a Steelers team whom didn't seem to have a prayer at the playoffs let alone a Championchip. Bye weeks kill us, so we don't want one in the playoffs anyway.
thebus36idf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Re: Sorry Lasts nights game begs the question

At this stage of the season, we are clearly below the Patriots and Colts...and by a large margin. If we play that kind of soft coverage against Brady, he will put 40-50 on us.

I think we are on the second echelon of good teams in the AFC....which means that we can be great, but we are very inconsistent and lose to teams that we have no business losing to. I think that many teams fall into this category...including Jacksonville.

IMO, the next 3 games will greatly define our season and playoff implications. We can pull away from the division or we can fall right back into the pack and it's a dogfight the rest of the way. I don't want to have to go to Baltimore for the last game of the season to decide if we make the playoffs or not.

This team has talent, but the "want to" needs to be there every game...and right now...we are seeing that it's not always that way. That's the difference between us and New England and Indianapolis.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I agree 100%, BF. I think that the dominance ("want to") was missing from the first half of last night's game. Half the Pat's act is the same as Mike Tyson's was; "Oh woe is us, how are we going to stay on the field/in the ring with them/him?" And it works. We need to have that same quiet power.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,504 Times in 3,739 Posts

Last night's game was the first time I began to fear Arians rep of wanting to take the Steelers back to the pass first mentality of 2003 might have some merit. If he pulls a similar game plan out against the Bengals IMO there will be cause to be concerned about where he has the offense heading.

The D was rotten as well (hard to say how much of taht was due to teh loss of Aaron Smith), but that first half performance by the O was abysmal. As Madden said, Tomlin is still learning how to be a HC, so there are going to be bumpy moments throughout this year (although wasting time outs on foolish replay challenges needs to end now).

I will just enjoy the season and hopefully a playoff berth. It is a long way to January, but any idea the Steelers will stay within 10 points of New England in Foxborough is nonsense at the moment
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Do I think it's possible? Yes. In the NFL anything is possible.

If the performances on both sides of the ball clone last night's game, no - most definitely not. (I don't see that happening though).

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Yes, unless football games are decided by hype now.

We played one shitty game. We're perfectly capable of beating any of those teams. They're nowhere near invincible, much as the media wants them to be.
N.E. and the Colts arent invincible but they are clearly the best in the business right now as much as it pains me to say it. The Pats and the Colts have bad possessions but not bad games plus as mentioned earlier they are consistent in their "goodness" whereas we seem to be consistent in our inconsistency(is that a word?!).
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Last night's game was the first time I began to fear Arians rep of wanting to take the Steelers back to the pass first mentality of 2003 might have some merit. If he pulls a similar game plan out against the Bengals IMO there will be cause to be concerned about where he has the offense heading.

The D was rotten as well (hard to say how much of taht was due to teh loss of Aaron Smith), but that first half performance by the O was abysmal. As Madden said, Tomlin is still learning how to be a HC, so there are going to be bumpy moments throughout this year (although wasting time outs on foolish replay challenges needs to end now).

I will just enjoy the season and hopefully a playoff berth. It is a long way to January, but any idea the Steelers will stay within 10 points of New England in Foxborough is nonsense at the moment
And what a shocker that we lost in the final seconds in Denver to a Bronco team coming off a bye after three consecutive losses. Um. Not shocked at all.

IN FACT that we played so freaking flat and then poorly and still almost pulled it off on the road leaves me with an UNCHANGED opinion of this team.

We'll make the playoffs. That's it.

Maybe the Fed can step in and prevent our O-line from going into foreclosure. I'd like to liquidate.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

i'll say it again, we have an average pass blocking line.

if we don't get the running game going we can't sit back there and pass all day without getting sacked or stripped. brady and manning have all day to pass.

right now, we are the third or fourth best team in the afc (san diego appears to be coming on).

win the division! this is something we can do. and then hopefully peak for the playoffs.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippy View Post
i'll say it again, we have an average pass blocking line.
LOL

are you serious?

looks well below average to me
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
thebus36idf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6089

Response to games aren't won on hype, and N.E., Colts aren't invincible

Last I looked New England looked pretty invincible. Thet certainly haven't had near the miscues we've had. Come on the media is hyping them up pretty good. I might even be buying into it not because they say so, but did you see brady and those receivers yesterday. Lets not putour head in the sand and act like they aren't as good as people say.
thebus36idf is offline   Reply With Quote