Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #11
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611
Default Re: I hate to say it, but same mistakes will haunt us forever.

It's a matter of raising the level of play to stop a team's execution. Give Denver credit. They were able to hit some short and intermediate route passes when they had to. Pittsburgh's defense was not able to stop Denver when they had to. Sometimes the other team just plays better. Simple as that.

My point is, I do not expect teams to duplicate Denver's success because I believe Coach Tomlin and Coach Lebeau will resolve the issues. Look at our red zone offense. Before Seattle, it was a weakness. Last 2 games, 7 trips inside the opponents' red zone have resulted in 7 TDs. We have a recent track record of correcting mistakes. We will do so this time.

Last edited by GeneralRobinson; 10-23-2007 at 11:04 AM.
GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:01 AM   #12
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralRobinson View Post
My point is, I do not expect teams to duplicate Denver's success because I believe Coach Tomlin and Coach Lebeau will resolve the issues. Look at our red zone offense. Before Seattle, it was a weakness. Last 2 games, 7 trips inside the opponents' red zone have resulted in 6 TDs. We have a recent track record of correcting mistakes. We will do so this time.
Great point - the red zone offense has improved dramatically over the last few weeks.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:05 AM   #13
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Great point - the red zone offense has improved dramatically over the last few weeks.
Thanks. I actually was wrong on the # of TDs. Seven red zone trips...seven TDs.
GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:44 PM   #14
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
we did win a super bowl.. so it couldn't have haunted us that much.
Actually, it did. Go and watch the Superbowl. That was EXACTLY the way Seattle kept driving on us and staying in the game. It is just that we were able to overcome it. However, that kind of play is a crap shoot, and I don't like it. It has CONTINUED to be a problem.

Our CB's NEED to roll up on the wr. but that messes with LeBeau's scheme. So what do we do? I do hope they will figure it out.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #15
Virginia Steeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5793

I am the only one who thinks the Colts are better than the Pats?
Virginia Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #16
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,417 Times in 3,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz1120 View Post
Ever since the AFC Championship in 2001, the blue print to beat the Steelers is short routes over the middle. Tom Brady and the Patriots drew up the game plan to completely destroy the Steelers, and what have the Steelers done about it?

The more blitzes we run, the shorter the dropback is for the quarterback. All he has to do is get the ball out quick and the Steelers get lit up. I can't believe how long this problem has gone on, and it only happens against the good teams. Now, however, I saw Jay Cutler and the Broncos drive right down the field time and time again. I knew that the Broncos would drive down the field no problem, and that's exactly what they did (with time to spare).

I don't even know if I want to watch the Patriots game. I predict Brady going 40 for 55, and I doubt they will even run the ball until they get a huge lead. Sorry Steeler fans, but we have two great defensive coaches who continue to make the same mistakes and will get beat the same way come December 9th.
I guess everyone forgot to check out tapes of the 2001 Pats-Steelers game during the 2005 playoffs or (since Peyton Manning allegedly watches all film ever recorded) someone stole Peyton's copy of that game film.

Don't underestimate the significance of Aaron Smith's absence on Sunday night in terms of impacting the D (just like the D declined after Troy left the Arizona game)

And as far as a teams's defensive shortcomings only being exposed against good teams, I suppose that is why they are good.

I have no love for New England, but if the season is ruined for you if New England wins you might want to consider getting NBA League Pass and quit watching the rest of this NFL season. IMO they are loathsome but one of the best offensive teams I have seen since the Montana/Young 49ers.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:07 PM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,417 Times in 3,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Steeler View Post
I am the only one who thinks the Colts are better than the Pats?
Ask me in 2 weeks In termsof setting up home field advantage for the playoffs between 2 extraordinary teams, that game on November 4 will be one of the biggest regular season games in years.

To paraphrase Bum Phillips talking about Earl Campbell, if the Pats and the Colts are not in a class of their own it doesn't take long to call the roll
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #18
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Actually, it did. Go and watch the Superbowl. That was EXACTLY the way Seattle kept driving on us and staying in the game. It is just that we were able to overcome it. However, that kind of play is a crap shoot, and I don't like it. It has CONTINUED to be a problem.

Our CB's NEED to roll up on the wr. but that messes with LeBeau's scheme. So what do we do? I do hope they will figure it out.

Yes Preacher, but we shut down the best offense in football (at least for three quarters) three weeks earlier. I understand that the LeBeau defense leaves some holes in the secondary, which can be exposed if we don't get a pass rush. However, the alternative to the blitz schemes is suicide. We don't (and probably no one else) have the db's to stay with the receivers of the Colts or Pat's indefinitely. This is true at least as long as those teams have their respective quarterbacks.

Given enough time, Sir's Manning and Bradey will pick anybody apart with the receiving corps they presently have. The only chance is to disrupt their rhythm by a confusing combination of blitzes with as good of coverage as you can muster, given the remaining numbers in the secondary. Yes, sometimes a good strategy is to fake the blitz, rush three, and play tight coverage. However, that strategy only works if you can make them worry about the blitz in the first place. And you can't make them worry about the blitz unless you hurt them with it first.

Truthfully, we only win against the Colts or Pats if we force turnovers and keep the ball for the better part of the game.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #19
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

I think it's time to stop roving Troy all over the place and let him move around in the secondary instead. Don't we have Brett Kiesel doing the rover job now?

If the D was truly exposed, let's see what Cincy does next week. If they have the same success as Denver, then it's a real cause for concern.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote