Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-23-2007, 05:45 AM   #41
Rob64
Water Boy

Member Number: 6042
Default Re: The non-existent "vertical game"

I think we should start using the 3 TE formations more against the blitzing tactics teams use on us. Miller and Spaeth are good recievers and Tuman is OK too. We could max protect more and maybe hit Holmes deep when teams blitz 6 or 7 on us. Isn't that why BA wanted the 3 TE's for and we drafted Spaeth?
Rob64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:00 AM   #42
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?teeldude View Post
the vertical game is mostly BR's fault. he has yet to learn how to throw the long ball. it's generally a hanging short pass. he did this in college too. his mechanics are also poor when throwing long. he tends to lean back rather than follow through.

most of BR's plays come on broken school yard plays. he needs to read the WRs quicker and get rid of ball sooner.
I agree with this as well. I thought Ben had a QB coach? He obviously isn't doing much to improve Ben's mechanics, because I still see him throwing off his back foot an awful lot. Even his mechanics on the WR slip screens aren't very good. I also agree that he needs to get rid of the ball sooner - more 3 and 5 step drops would be nice. I like that he always wants to make a play, and having a porous OL doesn't help, but he still holds onto the ball way too long at times.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:48 AM   #43
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I couldnt agree with you more. Ben isnt Carson, Brady or manning. We need to go back to steeler football. Run first.... We faced the worst run defense in the league and we got pass freaking happy.I think between davenport and parker they should have had 40 carries between the two of them. It's funny to me when willie struggles how quickly we are to abandon the run. But yet when benny was fumbling and throwing ints in the first half we kept throwing. I think that we should have hired a proven expierienced offensive coordinator
You are kidding right? We're barking up the wrong tree here. I have complete faith in our offense---we came back from 14 points down (twice) to tie the game.

I'm a bit concerned about our defense not getting off the field.

BTW---"Benny" had the same amount of interceptions and one more TD pass than Cutler and everyone on this board is saying how good Cutler is---gimme a break people.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #44
varmintjcl
Water Boy

Member Number: 1528

I see Ben holding the ball too long because he's too busy running with it as the O line hasn't given him any protection. I don't see that that same problem for the so called elite QB's. I don't think the problem is Ben.
And to comment on that one hand touchdown catch by Moss it sure looked to me like he pushed off just before he caught the ball.
And, I think the NFL has a serious officiating problem they need to work on.
varmintjcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #45
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
You are kidding right? We're barking up the wrong tree here. I have complete faith in our offense---we came back from 14 points down (twice) to tie the game.

I'm a bit concerned about our defense not getting off the field.

BTW---"Benny" had the same amount of interceptions and one more TD pass than Cutler and everyone on this board is saying how good Cutler is---gimme a break people.
i'm not saying I dont have faith in our offense. I"m simply saying we tend to abandon the run if willie comes out struggling. We did the same thing last year. And yes denver did crowd the box but they did the same thing against tomlinson and lamont jordan.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote