Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-23-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075
Default Colts vs. Pats: Good vs. Evil?

Pretty good read:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...&sportCat=nfll

Quote:
Patriots at Colts on Nov. 4 is shaping up to be one of the most attractive and exciting NFL regular-season games ever staged. The pairing is fabulous; the teams are the league's best; and there is a chance both will take the field undefeated. Plus, Patriots at Colts has a powerful, compelling narrative. Namely -- Good vs. Evil.

The fact that I don't even need to tell you which team represents Good and which stands for Evil says a lot about how low New England has sunk. You knew instantly which was which, didn't you?

Argument for the Indianapolis Colts as paladins who carry the banner of that which is beneficent: Sportsmanship, honesty, modesty, devotion to community, embrace of traditional small-town life, belief in higher power, even love of laughter. The Colts are the defending champions, so they obviously play well on the field. Yet after winning the Super Bowl, they have remained humble and appealing. Through prior years of postseason frustration, they never complained or pointed the finger outside their team. Their players are active in community affairs and don't carp about being assigned to a nonglamorous Farm Belt city with an antiquated stadium. Their coach, Tony Dungy, smiles in public and answers honestly whatever he is asked: He never yells at players or grimaces at bad plays and, when defeated, doesn't act as though it's the end of the world. Although religious, Dungy said on the night he won the Super Bowl that God doesn't care about football games, which shows perspective. The team's star, Peyton Manning, stands for love of family, constantly appearing in public with his brothers, father and mother. Manning is happily married and a major donor to a children's hospital. Manning spends a lot of time at children's camps and events, and he constantly makes fun of himself. Ladies and gentlemen, representing Good, the Indianapolis Colts.

Argument for the New England Patriots as scoundrels in the service of that which is baleful: Dishonesty, cheating, arrogance, hubris, endless complaining even in success. The Patriots have three Super Bowl rings, but that jewelry is tarnished by their cheating scandal. They run up the score to humiliate opponents -- more on that below -- thus mocking sportsmanship. Their coach snaps and snarls in public, seeming to feel contempt for the American public that has brought him wealth and celebrity. Victory seems to give Bill Belichick no joy, and defeat throws him into fury. Belichick and the rest of the top of the Patriots' organization continue to refuse to answer questions about what was in the cheating tapes -- and generally, you refuse to answer questions if you have something to hide. The team has three Super Bowl triumphs, yet its players regularly whine about not being revered enough. The team's star, Tom Brady, is a smirking sybarite who dates actresses and supermodels but whose public charity appearances are infrequent. That constant smirk on Brady's face reminds one of Dick Cheney; people who smirk are fairly broadcasting the message, "I'm hiding something." The Patriots seem especially creepy at this point because we still don't know whether they have told the full truth about the cheating scandal -- or even whether they really have stopped cheating. They say they have, but their word is not exactly gold at this juncture. Ladies and gentlemen, representing Evil, the New England Patriots.

In the Good vs. Evil narrative of the Colts and Pats, running up the score is a telling factor: It reveals a team's sportsmanship or lack of same, and whether a team shows sportsmanship in public might offer insights into its character in private. New England is scoring so many points the Patriots offense looks like cherries and oranges spinning on a slot machine. The Flying Elvii stand plus-159 in net points, by far the best scoring margin in the NFL. This is supposed to be impressive. But I think it's creepy, and New England's creepy on-field behavior is only underscoring the seediness of the Beli-Cheat scandal.

The article is long, and goes on from there----but tell me thats not a pretty accurate view? The comparison of the coaches and the QB's illustrate it perfectly.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,113 Times in 2,391 Posts
Default Re: Colts vs. Pat: Good vs. Evil?

And I thought my hatred of the Pats, Belicheat, and Brady was well developed - first (and last?) time Brady has been compared to Dick Cheney to my knowledge.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Colts vs. Pat: Good vs. Evil?

I hope the Colts beat the hell out of them.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Colts vs. Pats: Good vs. Evil?

Truthfully, I am sick of both of them

But Go Colts, I am a huge Dungy fan and I hate everything Patriot.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
PAMillerGrrl83
Starter

Member Number: 3274

Thats an awesome article and tells the truth very well. I do like the Colts, I like Manning and Clark and Wayne, I think they are good football players as well as people. Heck the Colts as a group are good people. The Patricheats make me sick, their ****y, arrogant and self centered so I hope Manning and the Colts shove that football straight up Bradys @$$.

~*Heath Miller: Honakers Finest*~
PAMillerGrrl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMillerGrrl83 View Post
Thats an awesome article and tells the truth very well. I do like the Colts, I like Manning and Clark and Wayne, I think they are good football players as well as people. Heck the Colts as a group are good people. The Patricheats make me sick, their ****y, arrogant and self centered so I hope Manning and the Colts shove that football straight up Bradys @$$.
Well said.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:09 PM   #7
PAMillerGrrl83
Starter

^^Thank you LoL.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:40 PM   #8
Dirtywater
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 434

I agree. We are sub-human trash and it's cut and dry. Maybe some day we'll make Steeler fans and ESPN like us.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:58 PM   #9
PAMillerGrrl83
Starter

^^So are you a clone of LITP??

Old 10-24-2007, 08:23 AM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

And so it begins. There is a whole slate of NFL games between now and then, a whole other week of football to be played, and the Colts/Pats hypefest has already begun.