Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900
Default Back in the saddle!

OK, last weeks game is behind us and now it's time to turn our attention to our beloved Bengals.

I'm not on the staff so I don't know what game plan the Steelers will come out with, but I would put $$ on that WP will end up having a very big game. I'm thinking 130 and 2 tds. I also feel that Ben will continue with his big numbers as well.

Now to the biggest fear. I hope the D comes out with a game plan that mixes up the zone blitz with the cover 2. I think the latter may work very well, we need to shut down the vertical game of Chad and TJ. I don't feel like they have a TE that can burn the cover 2. I also want to see plenty of the blitz though, Carson is no Tarkenton. He is not going to be running around and finding WR's. So we must apply pressure on him.

Finally, the most important aspect of the game is turnovers! When we face the Bengals it's the same formula over and over, turnover the ball and they win. Take care of the ball and we win. Simple is'nt it.

Go Steelers!
Old 10-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Back in the saddle!

And I feel like SUCH a broken record... but once AGAIn I have to add... what will we do against the sort routes? Will we roll up the DB's? or will we allow the short routes?
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
And I feel like SUCH a broken record... but once AGAIn I have to add... what will we do against the sort routes? Will we roll up the DB's? or will we allow the short routes?
Go back and look at the Bengal/Steeler playoff game...perfect example of how to stop the short pass and the outlet pass.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I guess I don't understand the question.

In cover 2, The corners will have "flat" responsibilities. You can roll up the safties to help, but you have to be careful with the out and ups or double moves.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

We just need to worry about defense mainly and mixing up our blitz packages and zone blitzes as well. Corner blitzes work well too, but remember last year when we sacked Carson about 4 times an interception and he fumbled and we still lost beacuse of how potent there offense is so we have to be ready!

NO turnovers!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post

In cover 2, The corners will have "flat" responsibilities. You can roll up the safties to help, but you have to be careful with the out and ups or double moves.
Very true.

The problem is, in LeBeau's schemes, the CB's also have run responsibility which makes them play a bit farther off the WR so that they can come up to help stop the run. That scheme however, has given the WR room underneath for the short up and ins, up and outs, etc.

What I would like to see is our LB's not be so aggressive at times. Let the ILB drop back into short zone coverage and rush one OLB, with the other covering a TE, or something to that effect.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post

But the corners must jam the receivers and flatten out their routes to keep them from running outside.....otherwise they will stretch the safeties.... If the wide receivers dont get jammed, it is almost impossible for the safeties to defend the deep pass.... The corners are responsible for their outside shallow area, but they must backpedal with the receiver until another receiver threatens their zone.....thats what we did during the playoff game...Troy blitzed less and we brought in Carter to jam the WR then take strongside flat responsibility in case of a dump off pass or run
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,817 Times in 2,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
We just need to worry about defense mainly and mixing up our blitz packages and zone blitzes as well. Corner blitzes work well too, but remember last year when we sacked Carson about 4 times an interception and he fumbled and we still lost beacuse of how potent there offense is so we have to be ready!

NO turnovers!
I completely agree about the turnovers

In the September 2006 game my recollection is the Steelers pretty much stuffed them in the second half until the Coclough punt return fumble, which was followed by a quick TD, which was followed by another turnover on offense and another quick TD.

That of course was after the Steelers dominated the first quarter and had first and goal to start the second quarter, at which point Ben failed to read the safety and threw an INT intended for Miller (the play IMO that blew up the 2006 season).

Cincy has a potent passing attack but their last 2 wins against the Steelers in 2005 and 2006 were due to turnovers
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #9
Davison_K
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5369

There offense won't be as potent this year. They are missing their x-factor. They will still be tough, but until Chris Henry's return, their offense and their team will suffer. We learned last year in all our games you turn the ball over you lose the game.
Davison_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:51 AM   #10
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,302 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I look for us to play a better game this week I think everybody will be settled down and ready to play a division game.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote