Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #11
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Starting field position cost us in Denver?

Actually, Rossum made a couple mistakes last week by not running up and making the fair catch. I remember remarking that one of those plays cost us 7 yards, which doesn't seem like much, but after seeing this article, I'm changing my tune a little bit.

I'll give Cowher credit here, because he always did say it was a game of inches. And Tomlin sent a whole lot of extra time on the ST this year, and outside of the PR for a TD, and Jeff Reed kicking farther, I haven't really seen much improvement.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #12
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I agree, the problem isn't Rossum, its the blocking. And I think its part of the same problem we had last year. Its tough to concentrate on catching the ball when you know you are going to get killed cause the blocking isn't there. Rossum has made a career of catching punts, so he understands his duty. The other guys we've put back there, it wasn't their "nitch" or they were too inexperienced at this level to understand the speed (Reid) and got nervous. Rossum is actually saving us games by holding onto the punt. Will he miss a fair catch and let it bounce into the red zone once in a while...sure...will he fumble a fair catch in a big game and give the other team the ball in our territory at a key moment. Probably not.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Actually, Rossum made a couple mistakes last week by not running up and making the fair catch. I remember remarking that one of those plays cost us 7 yards, which doesn't seem like much, but after seeing this article, I'm changing my tune a little bit.

I'll give Cowher credit here, because he always did say it was a game of inches. And Tomlin sent a whole lot of extra time on the ST this year, and outside of the PR for a TD, and Jeff Reed kicking farther, I haven't really seen much improvement.
thats what i found great about the article. the changes arent very appearant until you see that the steelers were leading the league in starting an average of 6.9 yards better than their opponents were averaging. of course this is dependent on opponens skill, and turnovers, and a better punter, much improved punt coverage, actually returning a kick off for a td, and only allowing 1 big return all season.

the genius of this article is that when all the blame is being placed on the defensive execution, or offensive play calling, even the invisible, minute things come into play.

that +6.9 yards of starting field position differential can be the difference of jeff reed missing that 65 (woulda been 57) yarder at the end of the half, or jason elam making the 48 yarder to win the game (woulda been 55 yds).

speaking of "the game of inches", kirwan and cowher watch the games together in the cbs studios every sunday. kirwan says the conversations are great, including marino, boomer, and shannon. i think cowher is becoming one of his prominent insider sources and inspiration for articles and radio conversation.

Quote:
Heading into last weekend, only three teams had a differential in starting field position of six yards or more -- that is, their averager starting position was six yards better than their opponents' average start. Those teams are the Steelers (6.9 yards), the Patriots (6.4 yards), and the Colts (6.0 yards). Isn't it interesting that all three head coaches come from the defensive side of the ball?