Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-27-2007, 09:13 PM   #21
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,505 Times in 3,740 Posts
Default Re: Arians Throws Ben Under The Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
I still just don't see it, Dan, sorry. When a QB is facing 8- and 9-man fronts, it's expected he try to change the play. If the Steelers had continue to run against those fronts without success, the fans would have questioned why they didn't pass enough, as they did after the loss to the Cardinals.

This is a classic case of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Fans want someone to blame, so players and coaches go out of their way more often than not to accept it, even when they are only part of the reason for the loss. And if they don't, well, this is what happens.

I always respect you and your opinion, Dan, but I see nothing wrong with what Arians said.
We will agree to disagree on this - I agree it is a non-issue as to what happened last week. By Arians feeling it necessary to explain a situation for which he has been taking heat five days after a loss he elected to keep the issue alive, which reflects a certain insecurity on his part and an indication he does not think it is a non-issue (such as his need to explain how flanker screens are just like running plays). In addition, given how Ben reacts to any criticism from coaches, laying anything on Ben before a crucial game is simply not a good idea.

Coach K at Duke has a saying when you suffer a setback - next play. Arians could have just let it pass with an equivalent or no comment on Friday, but since Tomlin called out the play calling to NBC at halftime maybe Arians has been taking heat from sources other than Internet boards and the media or still has scars from his less than brilliant tenure in Cleveland.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #22
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
We will agree to disagree on this - I agree it is a non-issue as to what happened last week. By Arians feeling it necessary to explain a situation for which he has been taking heat five days after a loss he elected to keep the issue alive, .
Personally... I would like to hear the entire interview. I could very easily imagine a question such as, "Why were there so many run pass plays last week?"

Answer, " Ben Roethlisberger had to audible pass plays because the Broncos were overloading their defensive front to stop the run."

Next Question "But shouldn't you or Ben have ran more running plays anyways?"

Answer, "To me, the flanker screen is a run, that's a long handoff,"

The context will mean everything... and given the chance to trust the team, or the press on context.. I NEVER TRUST THE PRESS.

But yeah, I think that it is a non-issue, just a question asked, and answered honestly.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #23
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886

No matter who changed the plays the fact the the Steelers passed the ball, what was it, thirteen out of fifteen plays is not good. A tone was set for the D-line to pin their ears back because the team was going to pass first. This snowballed into Ben being rushed and sacked all game long. weather the running game is working or not the Steelers always establish a ground game tone so that the defense has to keep loinebackers at home. This causes the play-action to work better or be more effective.

I know its not that bad but I think someone on the Steelers coaching staff needs to say establish the ground game or ground game identity first and foremost. We do not have the Pats or the Colts offense but are trying to operate like them Pass to set up the run. When the Steelers are built to run to set up the pass.

Each time I watch the pre-game shows or Playbook on the NFL Network this is the quote. "I look for the Steelers to get back and do what they do best and thats run the football." But then they come out and pass 13 out of 15 first plays.

Don't mean to seem negative but even though we are 4-2 after watching the NFL replay of the game almost twice on NFL network and knowing we have the Ravens twice and the Pats I hope the offense gets going or that could be 3 losses. The Steelers have not faced a D like those yet and we lost to the Cards and the Broncos two games we all thought they would win.

Just a concerned Steelers fan, not a griper.

Last edited by SteelDogFan; 10-28-2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spell
SteelDogFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:31 PM   #24
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,247 Times in 1,806 Posts

here's the funny part about this.....if we win that game, this thread and debate doesn't exsist. arians and ben gets a pat on the back for a job well done, and the new topic is , why 11 of parkers 21 carries were for 1 yd or less!!!

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:34 PM   #25
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

This is all very interesting. The audibles to short screens and passes to outlets or players in the flat is basically what a West Coast Offense is predicated upon. Arians calling those plays "just like runs" is exactly right. I'm guessing maybe he was hoping for Ben to throw the ball downfield? I don't know. I don't care, either. No matter what, there was a glaring lack of execution across the board last week.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #26
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDogFan View Post
When the Steelers are built to run to set up the pass.

Ok... So that means we ALWAYS be run first? That is like saying we should ALWAYS be a 3-4 because that is what we have now.

I don't agree with that logic. If it is felt we need to go to a pass first game, then do it now, see what we have, and draft for it later on.

I am not saying we should or should not, it is just that I disagree with the logic.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:14 PM   #27
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
No matter what, there was a glaring lack of execution across the board last week.
And in Ben's case perhaps over-execution.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:27 AM   #28
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsan2q View Post
We just have to force teams out of those 8 man front.

We have to work on exploiting 8 man fronts.
This is the fact of the matter!!

We need to get teams to respect our passing game, or at least the threat of it.

I don't understand why we don't spread the formation out when teams do this. I thought that was the purpose of Carey Davis starting over Krieder, his versatility. Even with a 2 WR, 1TE and 2 back set they can spread out to 4 wide leaving a RB in the backfield. Is'nt this what was talked about and what we all invisioned for Arians offense.

I won't speculate as to whether Arians was throwing Ben under the bus. I will say that at this point in the season there is still a lot of room for improvement. Ben still has work to do to get on the same page with Arians offensive scheme. Considering this is the first year under this system, and reworking the offensive line, I think they are performing well.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #29
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

O-Line and like said before 8 man rush seems to be our problem. We need our o-line to play its best every game and Ben to recognize the Blitz and exploit it with an audible to a quick slant or out pattern!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #30
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
O-Line and like said before 8 man rush seems to be our problem. We need our o-line to play its best every game and Ben to recognize the Blitz and exploit it with an audible to a quick slant or out pattern!
I was watching Ben's post-game press conference and he even admitted that he needs to improve on quickly throwing to the hot read as opposed to relying on his scrambling.
GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote