Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-28-2007, 08:37 PM   #21
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,821 Posts
Default Re: One possible area of concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
I don't care what Ray Ray says...lol He is aging himself and is far from the player he once was......
In response to Lewis and Thomas sniping at each other, former Raven Ed Hartwell had this to say about Ray Ray, the man and the myth:

As for Hartwell, he not only shares a friendship with Thomas but also a bond, because the two both played under Lewis's large shadow in Baltimore, which wasn't always the easiest assignment. Hartwell wasn't the only linebacker who sometimes felt Lewis received credit for plays he wasn't always making.

"You noticed that, too?" Hartwell said, when asked if Lewis sometimes jumped on top of a pile to be credited with a tackle. "Ray has had a great career and obviously he's gone out and made plays. That's who he is.

"But sometimes he might barely touch a guy, and if that's what worked for Ray and the TV would keep mentioning he was in on another tackle, why wouldn't you do it?"

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...huddle/?page=3
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:42 PM   #22
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
In response to Lewis and Thomas sniping at each other, former Raven Ed Hartwell had this to say about Ray Ray, the man and the myth:

As for Hartwell, he not only shares a friendship with Thomas but also a bond, because the two both played under Lewis's large shadow in Baltimore, which wasn't always the easiest assignment. Hartwell wasn't the only linebacker who sometimes felt Lewis received credit for plays he wasn't always making.

"You noticed that, too?" Hartwell said, when asked if Lewis sometimes jumped on top of a pile to be credited with a tackle. "Ray has had a great career and obviously he's gone out and made plays. That's who he is.

"But sometimes he might barely touch a guy, and if that's what worked for Ray and the TV would keep mentioning he was in on another tackle, why wouldn't you do it?"

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...huddle/?page=3
Thats funny and thats a good point...I always thought Ray was over-rated myself I crack up when some people think Ray is the best MLB ever......I guess these people never heard of Jack Lambert,Dick Butkus,Ray Nitschke,Willie Lanier and Mike Singletary....lol

He was a great player but nowhere near the best MLB ever...lol Wouldn't make my top five personally...Now I didn't see four in those top five and only remember Singletary at the end of his career but I have studied the history of the NFL and those would be my top five...My opinion don't matter though...lol
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #23
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Not only did Caper's have a better set of LBs....What about the secondary?.....lol That secondary of Woodson (before the knee injury),Lake, Perry was a great secondary.....
That isn't the issue.

The issue is that around 2001 a team found out the right way to counter the Zone-blitz scheme. Since that game, any team that can throw the ball has tried to play the same way.. 3 steps and throw quick inside routes... or outside routes.

It works because our CB's have to play 10 yards off since they have run support responsibility, covering holes left by LB's that are blitzing.

It has nothing to do with the cover-2... It has everything to do with the typical LeBeau defense that has been figured out. The problem for other teams however, is that you have to have a very good QB and at least two good receivers to run against us.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:53 PM   #24
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
That isn't the issue.

The issue is that around 2001 a team found out the right way to counter the Zone-blitz scheme. Since that game, any team that can throw the ball has tried to play the same way.. 3 steps and throw quick inside routes... or outside routes.

It works because our CB's have to play 10 yards off since they have run support responsibility, covering holes left by LB's that are blitzing.

It has nothing to do with the cover-2... It has everything to do with the typical LeBeau defense that has been figured out. The problem for other teams however, is that you have to have a very good QB and at least two good receivers to run against us.
I know trust me.......I think you're talking about the game when we lost to the Bengals and they ate up our defense with just passing....Which was the blueprint for the Pats and Raiders to beat us in the begining of the 2002 season....I watched the games myself...lol and remember them well......lol Which happens in todays NFL with all the film watching that goes on....

Plus I don't understand why you're pointing this out to me?....I was just simply replying to the guy that stated Capers had better overall unit of LBs but he also had a better overall secondary.......
Old 10-28-2007, 09:03 PM   #25
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I've been bit ching about the lack of a pass rush for the past several weeks. It seems to have been MIA since Week #1 and it needs to resurface and soon.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #26
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
I know trust me.......I think you're talking about the game when we lost to the Bengals and they ate up our defense with just passing....Which was the blueprint for the Pats and Raiders to beat us in the begining of the 2002 season....I watched the games myself...lol and remember them well......lol Which happens in todays NFL with all the film watching that goes on....

Plus I don't understand why you're pointing this out to me?....I was just simply replying to the guy that stated Capers had better overall unit of LBs but he also had a better overall secondary.......
Cause yours just seemed to be the last in a series talking about Lebeau's defense, Dom Capers, etc. etc. Thats all.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #27
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I've been bit ching about the lack of a pass rush for the past several weeks. It seems to have been MIA since Week #1 and it needs to resurface and soon.
It would be nice to see if the kids Woodley / Timmons could improve the pass rush....Sure they're rooks but so was Ben at one time....To me the only way you improve is by playing....
Old 10-28-2007, 09:34 PM   #28
BozMan
Starter

Member Number: 3027

Quote:
It would be nice to see if the kids Woodley / Timmons could improve the pass rush....Sure they're rooks but so was Ben at one time....To me the only way you improve is by playing....
Didn't Tomlin say after the Denver game that Woodley had earned more playing time because of his sacks? I don't remember seeing Woodley on the field much at all today. Anyone know how many snaps he played?

And yes, Aaron Smith needs to get healthy ASAP.
BozMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:16 PM   #29
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

hey guys, the D plan today was "defend the pass" not "blitz the three step drop". and guess what...IT WORKED! the D gave up 13 points to a high octane O.

i believe our D is becoming a flexible machine that can adapt to any style of offence, from smashmouth to run anf shoot. this is necessary in today's game. it's not 1994 anymore, you can't just "do what you do" and hope to win every week.

PS: aaron smith is missed mor than any of us will ever know.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:23 PM   #30
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippy View Post
hey guys, the D plan today was "defend the pass" not "blitz the three step drop". and guess what...IT WORKED! the D gave up 13 points to a high octane O.

i believe our D is becoming a flexible machine that can adapt to any style of offence, from smashmouth to run anf shoot. this is necessary in today's game. it's not 1994 anymore, you can't just "do what you do" and hope to win every week.

PS: aaron smith is missed mor than any of us will ever know.
That is a very good point!