Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Reid's son receives 23 months/Judge blasts family

Garrett Reid receives jail term of up to 23 months
Associated Press
Updated: November 1, 2007, 3:50 PM ET

NORRISTOWN, Pa. -- Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid's eldest son, who said he got a thrill out of selling drugs in both poor and tony neighborhoods, was sentenced Thursday to up to 23 months in jail for smashing into another motorist's car while high on heroin.

Garrett Reid, 24, could leave jail early if he applies for and is accepted into a special drug court program that would require him to hold down a job, report to authorities regularly and undergo rigorous drug testing.

He tested positive for heroin and admitted having used it that day of the crash. He ran a red light and hit another car. Authorities found syringes with heroin and testosterone in his SUV.

The judge who sentenced Garrett Reid likened the Reid home to "a drug emporium" and questioned whether Andy Reid's adult sons should live there.

"There isn't any structure there that this court can depend upon," Montgomery County Judge Steven O'Neill said before sentencing Britt Reid to up to 23 months in jail plus probation.

"I'm saying this is a family in crisis," O'Neill said.

Speaking in court and in a statement to a probation officer, Reid said he made a fast descent into hard drugs and enjoyed being the rich kid who dealt drugs in poor, violent Philadelphia neighborhoods and in the tony Main Line suburbs.

"I don't want to be that kid who was the son of the head coach of the Eagles, who was spoiled and on drugs and OD'd and just faded into oblivion," Reid said in court.

His addiction persists, according to authorities, who found 89 prescription drug pills in Reid's jail cell Thursday morning. They believe he smuggled them in his rectum when he was jailed earlier this week.

Reid told the judge he would apply to the drug court program, which could shorten his time behind bars.

"I am more than willing to do drug court ... if that's what it's going to take to get clean and sober," Reid said.

Reid's descent in drug use and dealing was steep, according to a probation report read in court. Reid said he started using marijuana and alcohol at age 18. That was followed by prescription pain killers Percocet and OxyContin, and then cocaine and heroin.

By 20, he was in drug rehab.

Reid said he sold drugs to his friends and their parents in the suburbs and in a notoriously tough section of Philadelphia.

"I liked being the rich kid in that area and having my own high status life," Reid told a probation officer in a statement read by the judge. "I could go anywhere in the 'hood. They all knew who I was. I enjoyed it. I liked being a drug dealer."

He said in court Thursday that he has stopped selling drugs.

Andy Reid and his wife, Tammy, were in court but declined to comment.

"Andy and Tammy are supportive of their son. That has been their position since this all began. He will not comment on it," said defense attorney Ross Weiss.

Reid's 22-year-old brother, Britt, also was in court Thursday to be sentenced for pointing a handgun at another driver Jan. 30, the same day as his brother's crash. He pleaded guilty to a string of charges, including carrying a firearm without a license, a felony.

Both sons lived at their parents' home in suburban Villanova at the time of their arrests.

Andy Reid had taken a five-week leave from the Eagles in the offseason to deal with his family's troubles.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3089753
Old 11-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Re: Reid's son receives 23 months/Judge blasts family

Quote:
Judge sentences Reid's sons, then rips coach
O'Neill gives Garrett, Britt 23 months in jail, calls home a 'drug emporium'
The Associated Press
updated 3:50 p.m. ET, Thurs., Nov. 1, 2007
NORRISTOWN, Pa. - A judge who sentenced Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid’s sons on Thursday likened the coach’s home to “a drug emporium” and questioned whether his adult sons should live there.

“There isn’t any structure there that this court can depend upon,” Montgomery County Judge Steven O’Neill said before sentencing Britt Reid to up to 23 months in jail plus probation.

“I’m saying this is a family in crisis,” O’Neill said.

Earlier Thursday, O’Neill sentenced Garrett Reid, a drug addict and dealer who said he got a thrill out of selling drugs in “the ’hood,” to up to 23 months in jail for smashing into another motorist’s car while high on heroin.

O’Neill noted that searches of the Reid home found illegal and prescription drugs throughout the house. He said both boys had been overmedicated throughout much of their lives.

“It sounds more or less like a drug emporium there, with the drugs all over the house and you are an addict,” O’Neill told Britt Reid.

Andy Reid and his wife, Tammy, were in court but declined to comment.

“Andy and Tammy are supportive of their son. That has been their position since this all began. He will not comment on it,” defense attorney Ross Weiss said before the judge’s comments.

Both sons lived at their parents’ home in the suburb of Villanova at the time of their initial arrests. Andy Reid took a five-week leave from the Eagles in the offseason to deal with his family’s troubles but has repeatedly said he will not step down.

On Thursday, Britt Reid said everything he did, he did without his parents’ knowledge, but O’Neill questioned that.

Both Reids can apply for a special drug court program that would require them to report to authorities regularly, undergo rigorous drug testing and hold down jobs.

The 22-year-old Britt Reid was sentenced to eight to 23 months in jail plus five years’ probation on gun and drug charges. He can apply for the special drug program after five months.

Garrett Reid was sentenced to two to 23 months in the county prison plus one year of probation. He told O’Neill that he would apply to the drug court program.

“I don’t want to be that kid who was the son of the head coach of the Eagles, who was spoiled and on drugs and OD’d and just faded into oblivion,” the 24-year-old said in court.

His addiction persists, according to authorities, who found 89 prescription drug pills in Reid’s jail cell Thursday morning. They believe he smuggled them in his rectum when he was jailed earlier this week.

“That’s consistent with someone as severely drug addicted as he is,” said the prosecutor, Senior Deputy Attorney General Marc Costanzo.

Just goes to show you how different perception can be from reality. I mean, Andy Reid seems like a good enough guy, but the facts that have come out in court paint a picture of an uninvolved, ineffective parent who, along with his wife, has "overmedicated" his children for most of their lives. Reid is probably closer with many of his players that he has ever been with his own kids. His sons, who really are young adults now, need to get out of that house, grow up, and take responsibility for their own recoveries and lives. What a sad and pathetic situation.

Yet another reason to appreciate Coach Mike "I'm a husband and father first" Tomlin.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Sounds like the Reid brothers are trying to make folks forget about the Menendez brothers. 22 and 24 years old still living at home and apparently not working or going to school? Sound like a couple of losers to me.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,058 Times in 2,604 Posts

having your house called a "drug emporium" is pretty big, and reid is gonna take quite a bit of flack for this.

i wonder how much of it is affecting the team. kinda like cowher had carolina on the mind and marv lewis has career suicide on the mind seems to distract their teams.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Thats pretty harsh criticism considering the judge doesn't really know what going on there. If Doctors are prescibing medications and the kids are into whatever illegal drugs they are into behind thier parents back, then whats Reid supposed to do. The guy has a 20 hour a day job. There are a whole lot of parents in this country whose kids are on dope that wouldn't get called out like that. Sounds like this judge is trying to draw a little attention to himself.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Thats pretty harsh criticism considering the judge doesn't really know what going on there. If Doctors are prescibing medications and the kids are into whatever illegal drugs they are into behind thier parents back, then whats Reid supposed to do. The guy has a 20 hour a day job. There are a whole lot of parents in this country whose kids are on dope that wouldn't get called out like that. Sounds like this judge is trying to draw a little attention to himself.
yeah thats what i'm thinking...the douchebag is 23 yrs old , which makes HIM ,responcible for his OWN actions.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

If only Andy would have taught his kids the wonderfulness that is buffet addiction.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,667 Times in 2,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Depends what kind of presentence report the judge got from the probation offficer(s) - the judge may be ticked off the DA did not try to forfeit (seize) the house as being used as a base of operations for the drug dealing (this was not someone getting busted just for personal use) - if the "boys" were living the life of street dealers while living at home Reid had to have some clue what was going on.

IMO the judge is not a publicity hound here - given the nature of the fan base, there are easier ways to draw attention to yourself than by calling out the Eagles HC in Philly.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Maybe he's not an Eagles fan. lol or maybe he is and just wants to see Reid go.

I saw somewhere that there are rumblings in Philly that Reid needs to step down. The fact that the Eagles aren't doing so well isn't helping his case either.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote