Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
Providence Steel
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6523
Default Bad Feeling...

Steelers Notebook: Arians plans to run against Ravens
Friday, November 02, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It was a bold day for offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, and it had nothing to do with his play-calling or his game plan for the Baltimore Ravens.

First, he said Ravens safety Ed Reed is better than Troy Polamalu, a comment that might be considered sacrilegious in this town.

Then he guaranteed the Steelers will be able to run the ball against the Ravens when the teams meet Monday night in Heinz Field.

Willie Parker, who leads all National Football League running backs with five 100-yard games, was held to 50 yards on 23 carries in two games against the Ravens last season. Arians said that won't happen again, even though the Ravens have the league's No. 2 rush defense.

"Partly, it was us; we took a pass-first mentality to Baltimore and it backfired," Arians said yesterday after practice. "Last year was last year. All I'm worried about is this year. We're going to run the football, make no bones about it."

Asked if that meant attempt to run the football, Arians said, "No, we're going to run the football."

But his comment about Polamalu, a three-time Pro Bowl selection and the youngest member of the Steelers' 75th anniversary team, might be even more shocking.

"Ed's a great player," Arians said of Reed, a thee-time Pro Bowl selection and the NFL's defensive player of the year in 2004. "I personally think he's the best. I love Troy and I think he's good, but Ed is really good."

I don't believe we are going to have a stellar day running the ball against the Ravens. If Arians is REALLY going to try to run the ball, we might be doing the "Heinz Field Ketchup" in the second half. Our offensive line was blown up by the Cardinals and the run game shut down almost completely. I think the Ravens are a little better on defense than the Cards.

I hope this is a ploy to catch them off guard. I think Ben is a much better QB, this year as compared to last years concussion/appendix parade. I think the passing game will work better to open the run against the Ravens as opposed to the other way around.

While it would be really nice to see our running game plow through the Ravens defense, I don't see it happening that easily or successfully.

What do others think?
Providence Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Re: Bad Feeling...

It's not like Arians is going to tell the world what the Steelers are "actually" going to do. The Ravens are not the best team on the field between these two teams. If the Steelers come out and believe that themselves and execute, it doesn't matter who the Ravens bring to the line to stop the run. We have more weapons on offense than they have on defense.

The only way the Steelers lose this game is if we turn the ball over. They do not have enough firepower on their offense to keep up if we just play our game.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I don't know while Arians is saying anything at all right now. He should know better than to be making any bold statements. Let the play on the field do the talking for you.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
But his comment about Polamalu, a three-time Pro Bowl selection and the youngest member of the Steelers' 75th anniversary team, might be even more shocking.

"Ed's a great player," Arians said of Reed, a thee-time Pro Bowl selection and the NFL's defensive player of the year in 2004. "I personally think he's the best. I love Troy and I think he's good, but Ed is really good."
Sounds to me like Arians (who, believe me, is not giving any secrets away to the media!) is trying to light a fire under the whole team, but particularly under Troy, whom many of us think is still spectacular but a bit "off" his usual standard of excellence this year. As Ed Bouchette said in the Tuesday chat, maybe it has something to do with having cartilage "ripped off his ribs," which makes my eyes water just to type it. Ed also said, "he's not having the kind of impact he's had on defense in the past, and I'm not sure why." I think Troy must be playing in a lot of pain, though he would never admit it.

I doubt that the Steelers need any extra motivation for this game. Having your hat unceremoniously handed to you twice in one season hopefully lit within each player a burning desire for revenge. I agree with the general consensus that the Ravens this year are not an equal of the Steelers, and if the Steelers play mistake-free football, they will win.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,398 Times in 3,687 Posts

You would think they would have learned their lesson after Ben's effort to con everyone with his statements to the media that he would spend all night handing off prior to the first half pass-o-rama in Denver.

Arians, unlike LeBeau and most coordinators, enjoys talking to the media and presumably seeing his name in print.. IMO Tomlin is going to stop that.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
You would think they would have learned their lesson after Ben's effort to con everyone with his statements to the media that he would spend all night handing off prior to the first half pass-o-rama in Denver.

Arians, unlike LeBeau and most coordinators, enjoys talking to the media and presumably seeing his name in print.. IMO Tomlin is going to stop that.
Wasn't a very good con, was it? I certainly didn't buy it, and based on their success defending the pass, I don't think Denver did either.

I find I don't pay all that much attention to what the players and coaches say about what's going to happen in any given game. They're all on a stated mission to conceal true intent, and that's just fine by me. Personally, I take it all with a grain of salt, and we'll see what we see on Monday night.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

We will run the ball. That's the bottom line. There is no choice in the matter. Against the Ravens you have to run right at them. That's how you keep your QB safe, keep them from pinning their ears back and coming hard every play and you keep the play action pass alive when they drop an 8th into the box. That's what we DID NOT Do last year, Ben was eaten live when we tried to get cute and get away from doing what we do. We run, if its Willie 30 times for 80 yards, so be it, we will need to stay consistant on Offense, run, set up the play action, toss a couple deep ones to holmes, hit Ward and Miller on some key 3rd downs to move the sticks and that will be the game plan. This is a case where Bruce is telling them, "here we come" and putting our O-line on notice. Give it to the Ravens, or they will give it to you.

Bottom Line!
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:25 PM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I see our defense showing up and scoring themselves. I'm telling you folks. This game is going to be ugly if you're a Ravens fan. They will realize at the end of the game, the Steelers are the true power in the universe, and they are competition for us only once every 4 or 5 years.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

I anticipate a close game. I think we will be more successful with running this year due to FWP's progress in that area. He has shown the patience and willingness to stick with the designed play even if it only nets him 2 to 3 yard runs. Does that mean Arians plans to run more this Monday I dont think he meant that in the article. Last year it seemed as if the Steelers tried that tight flex formation and Bmore just overloaded one side or the other and blitzed. One mans job was blitzing looking for the run and the other was looking for the QB.
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:55 PM   #10
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I don't know while Arians is saying anything at all right now. He should know better than to be making any bold statements. Let the play on the field do the talking for you.
He was asked a question and he answered it. If he had said, "no we're not going to run", would that have made people more happy? I doubt it.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote