Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150
Default Russell named Pirates manager

Russell named Pirates manager
Former catcher becomes 38th skipper in Bucs history

PITTSBURGH -- Introduced on Monday as the next manager of the Pirates, John Russell joked that the Peoria, Ariz., grocery store that he and his wife, Jamie, stood in on Friday when he received a call from general manager Neal Huntington offering him the job will never be the same.

"We just got excited," Russell explained a few minutes later. "Some people turned their heads. My wife was a little vocal screaming, and I was pacing."

The grocery store may never be the same, and neither will Russell. And ultimately, he hopes neither will be the culture and the disappointing results that have attached to the Pirates for so long.

Speaking to reporters at PNC Park on Monday, Russell, 46, used the words "accountability," "discipline," "pride" and "passion." Those were adjectives Russell believes will be attached to the club moving forward, and are words that Huntington believe already describe the man that he brought in to replace Jim Tracy.

"It's being a tireless instructor, being a tireless communicator," Huntington said, expounding on his expectations of Russell. "It's instilling pride back and expecting it to be done the right way. It's holding the staff accountable and the players accountable."

Throughout much of Huntington's month-long search process, speculation strongly suggested that he would look to name someone to the managerial post that he had a previous professional tie to. Though Russell didn't fit that criterion, Huntington said that he was indeed on his initial list of candidates from the start.

As the process lengthened throughout the month of October, Huntington became more convinced that Russell's vision more perfectly aligned with his. In naming Russell as the club's next manager, Huntington made his first major announcement since becoming the organization's GM near the end of the season.

"I've never worked with John before and I've never had a relationship with John before, but because of how he has managed before, I wanted to do more research on [him]," Huntington said. "It wasn't a guy I had a preexisting relationship with, but it's a guy who I had a preexisting respect for."

While the hire was ultimately a decision made by Huntington, Pirates president Frank Coonelly used his network around baseball to also assist in the process of gathering information on potential candidates. What he saw in Russell confirmed Huntington's initial assessment and convinced Coonelly that Russell was the one needed to turn the organizations' on-field results around.

"I think it became more evident to me that we needed to get someone here that had previous managerial experience," Coonelly said. "It wasn't necessarily someone who has done it at the Major League level, but has actually managed a club and written out a lineup card. I think it's important that John has done it and has done it for a long time."

Not only has Russell done so for many years, but he has also done so in numerous different capacities. He has managed from rookie ball up to Triple-A, as well as in both the Arizona Fall League and in Venezuela.

Russell's return to Pittsburgh is a homecoming of sorts, after he spent three years as a third-base coach under Lloyd McClendon. Before that, however, the 46-year-old Oklahoma City, Okla., native spent the majority of his post-playing days as a manger.

His last two years were spent managing the Phillies' Triple-A affiliate, which included a season in which Russell earned International League Manager of the Year honors in 2006 for guiding the team to the International League North title.

Russell, who also served as the manager in the International League All-Star game in 2007, managed an Ottawa club last season that finished last in the standings; however, their 55-88 record should not be read into with much concern.

"[Phillies owner] Dave [Montgomery] said he was named manager of the year in 2006 because we won the division, but that though the record was poor, he did an even better job in 2007," Coonelly said. "[The Phillies] gave him absolutely no talent whatsoever, yet John continued to work with those players through the entire season."

Prior to his time in Pittsburgh, Russell spent eight seasons managing in the Twins' Minor League system, during which he earned Baseball America's nod as the 2002 Minor League Manager of the Year and Best Managerial Prospect. The baseball publication had also named Russell the Eastern League's Best Managerial Prospect four seasons earlier.

Russell put together a 10-year playing career after joining the Phillies in 1984. After five years with Philadelphia, Russell spent one season with Atlanta before finishing his career in a Rangers uniform. Though his primary duties were behind the plate, Russell played six different positions during his time in the Majors, which included making one relief appearance.

He also holds the distinction of having caught Nolan Ryan's sixth-career no-hitter.

Now back in Pittsburgh, Russell is charged with the task of doing something that the Pirates' last three managers -- Gene Lamont, McClendon and Tracy -- couldn't do: have a winning season.

He replaces Tracy, who was let go by Huntington on Oct. 5, after the Pirates improved their 67-95 showing in 2006 by only one game. And he will also be handed the immediate task of helping the club to avoid a 16th consecutive losing record.

Handed a relatively young team, Russell arrives with a successful track record as an instructor, as a communicator and as one very in tune with details. While Tracy often took a more hands-off managerial approach during his two years as the helm, Russell is expected to be a strong clubhouse presence, and most importantly, a teacher.

"It was really his passion for the game and his passion for teaching," Coonelly said. "I could see immediately that John could accept accountability for how his players were playing. And I think it's fair to say that that's something that we haven't always seen in Pittsburgh the last couple of years."

While it's too early for Russell to have specific groundwork in place as to what is going to change, both on and off the field, Russell knows where he is going to start.

"Accountability to me is the backbone of what we're going to have to do on the field," he said. "Great players that I have been around are accountable for what they do. They are hard workers. That's what we're going to do. If the program runs true and the players do it, then we'll get better."

Asked how soon this team -- and this city -- can expect a winning team on the field, he never hesitated. "April," he confidently answered. "That's my goal. We're going to compete. I know people are going to look at me like, 'This guy's stupid,' but that's my goal. If I had any other thought in my mind, then I don't deserve this job."

Jenifer Langosch is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ne...=.jsp&c_id=pit
Old 11-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Default Re: Russell named Pirates manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borski View Post
Russell, who also served as the manager in the International League All-Star game in 2007, managed an Ottawa club last season that finished last in the standings; however, their 55-88 record should not be read into with much concern.
He can't even do good in minor league guess its gonna be another couple decades of losing...

in the meantime: GO STEELERS!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 01:30 AM   #3
ThaTank43
Water Boy

Member Number: 7598

we need some new owners that will put real money into the team. at least we got the steelers
Old 11-06-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borski View Post
He can't even do good in minor league guess its gonna be another couple decades of losing...

in the meantime: GO STEELERS!!!
A minor league record doesn't mean too much. The manager doesn't have as much control over gameday decisions, and if your players do well they get called up.

The parent club can tell you to leave the starting pitcher in for exactly 100 pitches and you leave him in whether he's pitching a perfect game or getting shelled.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
55-88 record

Typical Pirates.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #6
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

The guy has one losing season and everyone is negative?

He was IL Manager of the Year in 2006; that was here in Wilkes-Barre, where I got to see his teams. The guy has the respect of the players and he knows how to win. Plus they are strong on fundamentals. If you've ever watched a lot of minor league ball, you'll know what I mean. The guys at the AAA level, they are the cream of the cream of the cream of the crop. They are incredible athletes. But there is only room for one out of maybe twenty of them at the major league level. So what you see is a lot of guys trying to throw out three guys at a time, trying to score three runs on one stolen base; there is a lot of overreaching. You'll see a guy make an unbelievable catch in the outfield, and then turn and throw the ball into the stands trying to get the runner taking third base. Russell's teams don't do that.

He was Minor League Manager of the Year in 2002, and Best Managerial Prospect in '98 and '02.

I'm thinking his lack of success as third base coach under McClendon, sending all those guys, is a reflection of his desire to win being out of synch with the rest of the team's not really caring all that much.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

I'm willing to at least give him a chance.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaTank43 View Post
we need some new owners that will put real money into the team. at least we got the steelers
Look out .500 here we come!!!
Old 11-08-2007, 01:17 AM   #9
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Look out .500 here we come!!!
Yeah, its pretty pathetic that I will be extremely happy if we reach .500