Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-06-2007, 07:15 AM   #1
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225
Default O-line...

I'm very bothered by the performance of our offensive line recently. I am not seeing any kind of great push off the line and our rushing attack does not seem to be getting it done.

A few things though.... Teams are loading up the box on us for sure. They are taking away the run as best they can. It's working. Our aerial game seems to clicking along just fine though. It makes me very nervous to rely on it for moving the ball. I want to see the Steelers march down the field on a 10 minute 13 play drive for 80+ yards and a TD. That is Steelers football.

Are any of you bothered by the O-line's play in recent weeks?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Re: O-line...

Weakest link on the team IMO. We have far to many negative plays. These guys must perform better as the season progresses for us to have a chance in the postseason.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

I don't care if they are taking away the run when we have a quarterback who can throw like THAT. Let defenses throw everything in the box this year and see what happens. Holmes can burn almost anyone, Washington didn't drop a ball last night and we all know what Ward can do. They won't be putting everything in the box all day after watching film of last nights game, I garuntee it.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The Ravens were bringing the blitz all night. I thought the O-Line did a decent job.

Gotta love Willie's stonewall block on Gay Ray though.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
I'm very bothered by the performance of our offensive line recently. I am not seeing any kind of great push off the line and our rushing attack does not seem to be getting it done.

A few things though.... Teams are loading up the box on us for sure. They are taking away the run as best they can. It's working. Our aerial game seems to clicking along just fine though. It makes me very nervous to rely on it for moving the ball. I want to see the Steelers march down the field on a 10 minute 13 play drive for 80+ yards and a TD. That is Steelers football.

YES i agree. I have felt from preseason on that the O line is at best average. It maybe the Steelers down fall in the play offs. It could get better. I have seen O lines get better during the course of the season. There is hope. Where the most reasonable hope or expectation does in fact come from is--COACHING.

In short play calling.

The Steelers have enough fire power on offense not withstanding their offensive line. Ben is far and away the biggest gun. The receving corp is really beginning to impress me. Far better than the super bowl team of two years ago. Holmes is playing the complete game. Washington may be the a major factor yet.. He is clearly a superior athlete learning the game. Ward is the best. The tight ends are beyond solid. I do think the Steelers are not rolling Ben out enough. Let him go by design. Loosen up that defensive box. In my mind if the Steelers try play Cowher ball it simply will not work. The Steelers have too many weapons to go back to the power runnin game of the past years. The power game including the O line is not there and the passing game as we are now seeing it is awesome.

I am not saying Tommy Ball but lets keep doing what we are doing with a few more wrinkles with Ben being used even creatively. We may be watching the makings of greatness with Ben.

i believe the offensive line is what it is . If your looking for an area that should improve --look at KICK OFF COVERAGE. This area needs to get straightened out fast. Don't you think?

This post is written by a fan with 55 years of watching Steeler football. Enjoy the season.
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
The Ravens were bringing the blitz all night. I thought the O-Line did a decent job.

Gotta love Willie's stonewall block on Gay Ray though.
I agree---I was at the game last night and I thought the O-line looked as good as they have all season on pass protection---they were coming after Ben and he only had to run for his life a few times. Sure they couldn't get the running game going, but it was the Ravens who are an excellent run stopping D. I was satisfied with their play last night.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #7
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I thought they did well last night. Like Edman said, the Ravens were blitzing on almost every down. One of the hardest things for an O-Line is when the QB starts moving, don't hold; there was what, one holding penalty. That is outstanding, IMO. The runstuff, well, that worked really well for the Ravens, didn't it? It doesn't really help if you stuff the run and give up 5 touchdown passes. I'll take that for the next 11 games, Parker getting 25 yards and us getting 35 points. Fair trade, IMO.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #8
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
I agree---I was at the game last night and I thought the O-line looked as good as they have all season on pass protection---they were coming after Ben and he only had to run for his life a few times. Sure they couldn't get the running game going, but it was the Ravens who are an excellent run stopping D. I was satisfied with their play last night.
It's a huge, DEFINATE Improvement over last years performances against the Rats' blitz. I wouldn't lose sleep over the running game. You and know damn well that the Steelers were not going to get any running room last night. The Rats are still a stout running D, just like the Steelers. The Rats were sending the house on every down to stop Ben, and he made them pay. A complete difference from last year.

Last edited by Edman; 11-06-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Every single run into the middle of the line for 2 yards kept open the passing game. It said that we weren't going to be 100% dependent on throwing, that if the Ravens put the LBs into coverage we would run them to death.

the Ravens had to pick one or the other, and it didn't matter which one they picked, we were going to bludgeon them with the one they didn't. If they'd have put everyone into coverage, we would have won 38-7 and Willie would have had 200 yards instead of Ben having 5 TD passes.

One fuels the other.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:57 AM   #10
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post

recently? this O-line has been neglected for years and it has been showing for quite awhile. the steelers need to spend at least 2 or 3 draft picks on the OL in the earlier rounds.

i wouldn't judge the steelers' aerial attack on the busted ravens' game.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote