Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #11
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Pasquarelli: Without Vick, the Running QB Revolution Stalls

Of course there was no revolution, a QB needs to throw the ball well, that is what a QB does.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #12
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Of course there was no revolution, a QB needs to throw the ball well, that is what a QB does.
That's the thing. It never was a revolution. Its been said so many times here, and I know that many other members share this sentiment, for the general public there has been two outlets of "NFL analysis:" ESPN and Sports Illustrated. Both of these are businesses, which CERTAINLY have an interest in hyping marketable players. Michael Vick, was never supposed to revolutionize the position, he was just giving those outlets an opportunity to market the position to new demographics. Mike Vick's style was "sexy," with his "sick video game moves, son!" There was an aesthetic appeal to him. He was fun to watch. To say that he was going to change the sport and the way offenses in the NFL operate was never a question for many. Quite simply, he wasn't. He didn't. He isn't and now his marketability is SHOT because of shotty play and probably the most questionable character of all active NFL players. Obviously, ESPN abandon ship (who can blame them, though.) It became clear to Len and everyone else that he wasn't going to revolutionize the position because he couldn't keep himself out of trouble. It killed his stock as a teammate, a team leader, and certainly as a marketing tool. Michael Vick, even before this whole dog debacle was dead to ESPN.

Bottom line. Len is part of the pretty little hype machine that ESPN has built through its programing, its magazine, its website, and every other means they have to spread this garbage around to the masses. I realize its the nature of the beast for a reporter to report on current trends in the sport and make their work stand out more by making bold predictions. For example, the Patriots going undefeated, being the most prolific offense of all time, etc. are all current hype platforms that ESPN seems to collectively be ramming down our throats anymore. NO ONE can argue that, and the informed fan doesn't buy it.

It all goes with the new marketability of football. Its now our nation's sport. Adding intrigue and the prospect of a "revolution" keeps people interested and tuning in. The truth is that ESPN's ratings would plummet if they just showed sports highlights and let the fans make their own assumptions about who's going to change the way the game is played and who is just another flash in the pan. They have to approach EVERY standout with the expectation that they are going to be the "next big thing." Its a reason the NFL Draft has turned into this media juggernaut.

Unfortunately, ESPN's archives only date back to January of '06, because Len, who's been pretty consistent in the articles I have seen in the past year or two, has been an avid Vick doubter. I would like to see his opinion on Vick in 2002, I believe it was, when he threw for 16 TDs, ran in 8, and only threw 8 INTS. It was at this point that people actually began to believe that Vick was going to revolutionize the position. If anyone can prove me wrong, please do, but I'm going out on a limb here and say that Len was CERTAINLY drinkin' the "kool-aid." I come to this conclusion because of Len's generally weasily demeanor () and an article he wrote last season during Vick's two week evolution from a Running Back wearing a QBs number into a passing DYNAMO!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2643314

Quote:
Maybe the past two weeks have been more an episode than an epiphany. But if Vick is finally emerging in his sixth season as a polished passer, a transformation he has struggled to convince skeptics of for much of his thin-skinned career, well, look out, NFL world. Because the guy might be unstoppable.
To me, this certainly sounds like an endorsement. I UNDERSTAND. Its his job, but read his tone in this article.

Quote:
But there is now a two-week body of evidence, compiled against a pair of 2005 playoff franchises, that the passing prowess that eluded the elusive Vick for the better portion of five seasons might be taking root. He has played, as demonstrated again on Sunday at Paul Brown Stadium, under control. There actually seems to be a method to his once-maddening movements in the pocket. There is, dare we say, rhythm to his passing mechanics now. Not yet total nuance, but something bordering on it.
Statements like this, laden with undertones of flip-flopping and wishy-washiness, are his bread and butter. Sports writers would make great politicians. "I have hated on Vick now for a few seasons, because he hasn't lived up to his expectations, but I will now be able to cover my ass if he is able to keep this up." Len makes some "insightful" observations, breaks a stolen news story now and again, and basks in the glory. That's his MO. That's his job. That's why I don't like him.

Once again, the nature of the beast. But its a slam I have on a LOT of sports columnists, especially ones who stick their neck out and make strong claims to denounce or endorse any one athlete. I suppose I should find it refreshing, a guy who is willing to make a stand. The truth is I don't think Len would EVER admit he was wrong. Never fess up to counting a guy out. In this case, its Vick who has been deceiving us with crapiness and underachieving, so Len isn't to blame for hating on him. Right?

I will say this, though. Len has always seemed to be onboard with Roethlisberger even during last season's issues. He's from Pittsburgh, though, so he better .

He also currently lives in Atlanta, so I could see his frustration with Vick being immersed in it everyday. I don't know. Maybe Len is just one of many scapegoats for everything that is wrong with mainstream sports media, but he puts himself out there, and to be honest he would probably relish in the fact that I spent so much time even talking about it.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #13
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

wow... mike vick was a talent who was just to dumb and to arrogant to learn a playbook.... ben is the kind of QB who can not only be a franchise QB for years to come he is a definite HOF in my mind...
Rhee Rhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:54 AM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,508 Times in 3,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
wow... mike vick was a talent who was just to dumb and to arrogant to learn a playbook.... ben is the kind of QB who can not only be a franchise QB for years to come he is a definite HOF in my mind...
Of course some of the comments regarding Ben until this year (not just media but from some Steelers players & former coaches) were that he was just too dumb and arrogant to learn a playbook (IMO Tomlin's recent comments about Ben being a "football junkie" and Tomlin saying he does not know what went on before he arrived are intended to address those comments)

Whether a QB is either an "improvisational artist" or "reckless and undisciplined" depends on whether the team wins. Lennie P. is a a good reporter with Pittsburgh roots but since he needs to file something all the time he is going to get caught in some contradictions
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #15
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

This whole thing makes no sense. Mike Vick was never a true pro QB. He was a scat back that could throw a little when he fooled the defense into leaving WR's wide open. He never learned to read defenses, never learned how to look off safeties, in fact, never learned any of the nuances of the position. His skill as a runner and rocket arm covered up his many, many inadequacies as a passer.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #16
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post

Not if the team goes to the Single wing!!!

Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote