Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-03-2007, 07:31 PM   #21
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: Do you agree?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i cant believe were discussing willies wet rubbers and it has nothing to do with clinton or lewenski. and i cant bedlieve so much has been made out of "sleevegate".

when you work in a kitchen (or any other surface that may be slick) they want you to wear rubber soled shoes and often have rubber mats so you dont slip. wet rubber on rubber isnt very slick. infact its kinda tacky.

im not sure what those sleves are made for (i always thought it was a fitness and circulation thing) but i think they are designed with holding a wet football in mind.

i love madden broadcasting all games. hes insightful and funny but you have to filter half the shit he says. i like him doing all games but steelers games because he poisons so many viewers minds by some of his lame gibberish.

"well al, that black rubber in the rain sure looks slick... gar gar gar"

um, tires are made of rubber and look slick in the rain but you dont go sliding off the road.

lets just see the sleeves for what they are and not let madden (of all people) convince us a steeler player made the stupidest mistake of all time by wearing them.
Yep, I was right. Wiilie has gained weight. Just looking your avatar it is obvious FWP has developed a "tire" around his waist. And how can you expect the guy to hold onto the ball with a tire like that (Even if it is rubber!) Beyond that, good point TH.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,780 Times in 2,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
Yep, I was right. Wiilie has gained weight. Just looking your avatar it is obvious FWP has developed a "tire" around his waist. And how can you expect the guy to hold onto the ball with a tire like that (Even if it is rubber!)
lol i stepped right into that one.

seriously though- when youre driving around a curve in the rain, your car is designed to stick. but if youve ever driven around a curve, in the rain, where gravel has washed onto the road, you slide. traction is broken.

their was sand on the ball. we all saw the groundskeepers dumping this cat litter on the field. (the same can be seen with nascar using speedy dry and cars sliding when they get into it).

we all saw the balls sailing out of the qb's hands last night. anyone think they would hold onto a sandy ball gatting hit as hard as willie gets hit and as many times?

not to make excuses. willie didnt. him and tomlin both said he has got to hold onto the ball better. the sleeves are a lame excuse and not the problem.

playing pro football on a beach is. (anyone remember robert edwards?)

so yeah, fire willie, tomlin, arinas, and make dookie the starter in the mud. his ex girlfriends say he is a "mudder" and a "bruiser".

Old 12-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #23
tony hipchest

just to expand on my points, it seems tomlin doesnt even know what the sleeves are for, and that the "commentators" [madden] need to just shut up.

Quote:
Did the rubber sleeves get slick and cause Willie Parker to fumble?

I’ve heard that theory, but commentators need something to talk about throughout the course of the football game. The reality is that with that being excuse making, we aren’t going to make them. We have to hold on to the ball. Willie has to hold on to the ball. Ball security is a big part of our program, in terms of how we try to win football games, with time of possession being one of them. You jeopardize those things; time of possession and field position when you don’t hold on to the football, even if you do have a great defense, one that is capable of getting you out of tough spots. That standard is not going to change. You have to hold on to the football.

Would you discourage him from wearing those?

No. Willie (Parker) is a professional and I trust that he will do what is required for him to be successful. I will ask him to hold on to the football in the future.

Why does he wear those?

You would have to ask him. Those guys have a variety of supplemental equipment they use. Sometimes they feel like they need it. Sometimes it’s a fashion statement. I was the same way when I was a young guy trying to play football.
the moral of the story is to take anything madden has to say, worth a grain of salt (or sand). this is the same guy who convinced about a billion people that seattle was robbed by the officials in the superbowl. this is the same guy, who if he called monday nights patriots/ravens game, would praise the officials, and blow brady for the courage he displayed while getting 3 do-overs on a final drive 4th down attempt.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #24
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

The whole rubber sleves things is overrated. I think it was WP just trying to make an extra play. Also the wet\slippery climate didn't help either.

Everytime madden opens his mouth crap comes out.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #25
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

I for one agree with the rest to ditch the rubber arm bans. Far as one saying willie has lost a step, na he has not. Its called a inept O Line who has not been opening up holes. Willie is running behind possible the worst O Line we have had in 10 years. I do not care who you are, your not going to gain yards if the holes are not open.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #26
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

I don't expect much from FWP this weekend, hopefully he does well though. He just came off a game with so many fumbles, so he's going to run like a ballcarrier instead of a runningback.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #27
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

just as long as he holds on to the ball .. he can run like the wind.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #28
tony hipchest

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_541357.html

Quote:
• Steelers running back Willie Parker has motivation beyond attempting to put a dent in New England's 12-0 record. Parker fumbled twice in Sunday night's win over Cincinnati.

"It's bigger for me because I have to redeem myself," Parker said. "It's not too much about them being undefeated and being perfect so far."

As for the synthetic sleeves Parker wore, he maintained Wednesday they were not a factor in his fumbling.
"It's nothing about that," Parker said. "I wear those things all the time. Y'all ain't never recognized me wearing them. I wear them all the time, especially when it rains and the conditions aren't real good. They got grip, and when it gets wet it grips up a little more. It's nothing to do with the fumbling."

Parker, though, said he wouldn't wear the sleeves against New England.
i love seeing where willies motivation lies. its all about redemption and him getting better regardless of who hes playing.

i wonder if losing the sleeves was a personal decision or a "business" decision.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #29
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,158 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_541357.html

i love seeing where willies motivation lies. its all about redemption and him getting better regardless of who hes playing.

i wonder if losing the sleeves was a personal decision or a "business" decision.
You mean you don't think he dumped the sleeves because a young fan asked him to?

He said he will cast them aside no matter what the weather this Sunday in Foxborough, Mass. He said a boy asked him for his autograph Tuesday and then suggested he not "wear those things on your arm" anymore.

"I gave him my word I'm not going to wear them," Parker said. "That's the only reason I'm not going to wear them."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07340/839592-66.stm
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #30
SteelersJW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5742

I agree. It's time to pitch those things.