Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #21
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Re: Reportcard / Game 15 -- Steelers vs. St. Louis Rams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I do not know if you need to throw it 30 times a game but I agree (and T.H. had a series of posts on this last night) that this OL that combines the aging remnants of the SB O line and second stringers like Colon & Mahan does not match the skill set of Parker & Ben or Arians offensive schemes.

If there is a silver lining to the neglect of the OL in the draft for the last 5 years it may be that drafting the sort of OL geared to Cowher's power running game would have a lot of $$$ tied up in players not matchde to the offense the Steelers will be running for the foreseeable future after the last gasp of power running with Davenport for the rest of this season
I think going away from the power running attack is a bad mistake. Unless the Steelers put a dome on Heinz Field sometime soon, they're going to be playing in ugly conditions late in the season. Guys like Willie Parker are not built for running in those conditions. New England can get away with what they do because Tom Brady is that damn good. Saint Ben is not even close to being in the same league as Brady right now. Putting the ball in the air 30 times a game, or in the hands of a scat back like Parker, in a snowstorm has disasterous potential.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #22
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,322 Times in 2,896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I think going away from the power running attack is a bad mistake. Unless the Steelers put a dome on Heinz Field sometime soon, they're going to be playing in ugly conditions late in the season. Guys like Willie Parker are not built for running in those conditions. New England can get away with what they do because Tom Brady is that damn good. Saint Ben is not even close to being in the same league as Brady right now. Putting the ball in the air 30 times a game, or in the hands of a scat back like Parker, in a snowstorm has disasterous potential.
"Saint Ben" is in his 4th year in the league, already has several perfect passer rating games (an arcane stat but but nevertheless an indication he does have some passing talent), and is going to cost a bundle to re-sign (and I assume you agree he should be re-signed and will not be leaving in free agency). I know you have issues with him but assume you agree he is already one of the top 5 QBs in the league around which to build a team (if you disagree, please name me three better other than Brady & Manning)

Saying Ben is not in Brady's class at the present time (other than Manning who is?) does not mean he is not already a very good QB. The Steelers will not be paying Ben $70-75 million to hand off and will not be going to New England's screw the running game tactics. But if you are suggesting they should be going back to Cowher/Bettis power ball, I respectfully submit: 1) that it simply is not happening; and 2) that approach regularly was exposed in the playoffs from 1994-2004.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #23
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

What was the other stat I heard on NFL network, something like, only one other QB in history has more wins in his first 4 seasons in the league...that would be Dan Marino.

Not a bad stat for Ben, considering one year he put his face through a car windshield. He's a solid performer and unlike some other QBs from our past, I don't fear that Ben will ever lose a game for us, and do trust at the end of a game, he can win it.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:00 PM   #24
Steeldude
Living Legend

QB - B+ held the ball too long. his long passes may have been complete, but they are not fundamentally sound. throwing off of your back foot is not how to be consistent. i know, i know, he completed them so it's no big deal. i don't expect many to understand.

RB - A

WR - A

OL - C+ protection was poor again, but they did open holes for the RBs

DL - D+ used again

LB - D+ pretty much non-existent. harrison was the most active LB again. porter who?

DB - B more good than bad considering they had to help the DL and LBs stop/contain the run too often

ST - C poor kick coverage again

coaching - C luckily the rams couldn't stop the run. basically the steelers beat another poor team. that's been the story all year.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #25
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,322 Times in 2,896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?teeldude View Post
QB - B+ held the ball too long. his long passes may have been complete, but they are not fundamentally sound. throwing off of your back foot is not how to be consistent. i know, i know, he completed them so it's no big deal. i don't expect many to understand.
Don't expect many posters to appreciate being described as dullards by you either
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #26
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Don't expect many posters to appreciate being described as dullards by you either
i meant it more as rah-rah fans than dullards

the same fans that thought anthony smith was a god of all FS's because he had a couple of big hits.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote