Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-05-2008, 02:05 AM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Good article on Ben

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_545929.html

Nice article on Ben.

The evolution of Big Ben
Saturday, January 5, 2008

Ben Roethlisberger remembers his first NFL playoff game.

Well, sort of.

"I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off," Roethlisberger said. "I had no idea what was going on."

The evolution from callow, caretaker quarterback to seasoned, self-assured signal caller should be apparent tonight when the Steelers host the Jaguars in an AFC wild-card game.

With Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker (broken leg) out for the rest of the season and the defense being more rumor than reality, lately, the Steelers will lean on their sturdy quarterback as they embark on what they hope is a lengthy postseason run.

After all, no Steeler has been a bigger play maker than Roethlisberger this season.

"That's what a quarterback's supposed to be able to do," right guard Kendall Simmons said. "He's not supposed to be a guy that you just don't want to lose the game, you're supposed to look to him to make something happen, and when times get rough you know he's going to do whatever he can to make something happen."

Roethlisberger made stuff happen all season as he threw a Steelers-record 32 touchdown passes, finished with a passer rating (104.1) that was second only to Tom Brady in the NFL and was more elusive than a fugitive while continually escaping trouble behind a spotty offensive line.

The season that is arguably the best-ever by a Steelers quarterback has left no doubt that Roethlisberger is a franchise quarterback, and he will likely be paid as such in the offseason when he and the Steelers work toward a long-term contract extension.

"I think just the whole year he's been handed the offense a little bit more to kind of put it more on his shoulders than vice versa," Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca said, "and I think that's the main difference going into the playoffs (than in past years)."

Roethlisberger admittedly winged it -- both figuratively and literally -- during his rookie season in 2004 when an injury to Tommy Maddox thrust him into the starting lineup.

He won all 13 games he started in the regular season but his inexperience caught up with him in the playoffs.

The Steelers beat the Jets, 20-17, in a divisional playoff game in spite of Roethlisberger, and they couldn't overcome the three interceptions he threw the following week in a 41-27 loss to the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game.

"The first time I went through this you didn't know what to expect, you just thought it was another game," Roethlisberger said of the playoffs. "It's not just another game. Every mistake you make is magnified."

It probably seemed that way last season, as well.

A year after leading the Steelers on a stirring postseason run and becoming the youngest quarterback ever to win a Super Bowl, Roethlisberger threw the most interceptions (23) in the NFL.

Whatever mitigating circumstances led to his regression -- and the Steelers missing the playoffs -- Roethlisberger entered this season as something of a reclamation project.

First-year offensive coordinator Bruce Arians gave Roethlisberger an ownership stake in the offense -- the two work together in devising game plans and the fourth-year quarterback has veto power when it comes to plays he doesn't like -- and he has flourished.

He made the Pro Bowl, and, at 25, Roethlisberger's February trip to Hawaii may only be the first of many to come.

When asked if Roethlisberger has cracked the subset of elite NFL quarterbacks, wide receiver Hines Ward said, "I think he's there. He's proven, he had a great year, but I'll tell you (passing the football) is not our identity. Our identity is to run the ball, that's what we've been doing up to this point."

Indeed, the Steelers finished third in the NFL in rushing (135.5 yards per game). But without Parker, they have to rely on Najeh Davenport, who has never been a full-time starter in the NFL.

That could mean that the Steelers will go only as far as Roethlisberger's right arm takes them, especially if the defense continues to have trouble stopping the opposition.

"We throw the ball when we need to," said Roethlisberger, who threw for 3,154 yards and completed over 65 percent of his passes this season, "and we've proven we can win the game when we throw the ball."

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has to at least be comfortable about one thing heading into the playoffs: that the ball will be in Roethlisberger's hands in more ways than one.

"He has been big for us all year," Tomlin said.

And the Steelers need the 6-foot-5, 241-pounder to be bigger than ever if they want to challenge for a sixth Super Bowl title.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:12 AM   #2
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640
Default Re: Good article on Ben

He's definitely gonna have to be our Great White Hope if we're gonna go anywhere in the playoffs. It's gonna be tough, but I feel a lot better knowing Ben is our QB as opposed to having Korky or Maddox as our last hope.
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:14 AM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,390 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHammer View Post
He's definitely gonna have to be our Great White Hope if we're gonna go anywhere in the playoffs. It's gonna be tough, but I feel a lot better knowing Ben is our QB as opposed to having Korky or Maddox as our last hope.
LOL - if that were the case, this team wouldn't have even made the playoffs, not this year.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:22 AM   #4
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
LOL - if that were the case, this team wouldn't have even made the playoffs, not this year.
Yeah. As bad as it's gotten this season, we can all look back to the many years of QB futility in the Burgh and be thankful for what we have. Cheers to Big Ben
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:02 AM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Yeah. As bad as it's gotten this season, we can all look back to the many years of QB futility in the Burgh and be thankful for what we have. Cheers to Big Ben
Very true. Very very true.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:11 AM   #6
CASTEEL
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 884

Quote:
Here Here!

Go Big Ben.... and Go Steelers!!!
Old 01-05-2008, 05:02 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,639 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

There is alot of ifs but if our oline would have held together this year ben could have had just as good of season as brady.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

idk if the article mentioned it because i didnt read it all but he said before that he thought the playoffs were just another game and now he realizes that every move and mistake is extremely magnified compared to a regular season game mistake.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

In Ben I believe!
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
jasonhightower
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7798

I remember the scouts and teams touting the Eli's and Philip Rivers of the world and more than one scout saying they felt Ben was the best QB prospect in the draft. When the Steelers drafted him I was esctatic.
jasonhightower is offline   Reply With Quote