Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579
Default June Jones... another classless coach...

as much as I love the University of Hawaii... the one person i never liked was june jones... it was only a matter of time before he left... its a perfect oppurtunity for him to leave as he gets almost 2 million and colt, davonne and basically half the starters on our sugar bowl team are grads... i dont like this one bit and hopefully hawaii fans come to realize that he is just another selfish coach searching for money...
Old 01-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: June Jones... another classless coach...

He's a fool. He had a sweet deal in Hawaii. SMU had one little run way back in the day, and they cheated to do it.

Besides, the higher he climbs, the more familiar the coaches he faces will be with his old and outdated run-n-shoot scheme.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
CrimsonTideSteelersFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4772

I don't blame Jones for leaving UH. The school's administration made absolutely no commitment to improve the facilities and no commitment to put more of an emphasis on the recruiting budget. Despite all of that, it is truly remarkable that Jones was able to have the success in Honolulu that he did over the last several years.

I traveled to Oahu in 2002 for the Alabama/UH game and had a wonderful experience, but it was quite obvious that Aloha Stadium is a very dated structure. However, Hawaii is faced with the dilemma of not having very much available space for a new stadium anytime soon. But, if the UH administration would have made a commitment to improving the horrible practice facilities, dressing rooms, etc. on campus, this would have gone a long way in helping the program to be successful in the long run.

Bottomline, June didn't leave for a larger salary - he left because of the lack of support and commitment to the football program. Herman Frazier, the A.D. should be ashamed of himself. He was a failure as A.D. at UAB and has proven that he is incompetent at UH.

I really hate this for the UH fans because they passionately love their Warriors and deserve to see this program succeed.
CrimsonTideSteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
touchdownward
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 3188

Tide is right, Jones didn't leave for more salary (although more than doubling his won't hurt), he left because their organization has no real committment to winning. Which, like stated above, is a shame for Hawaii fans.
I heard on the broadcast Tuesday night that the Warriors recruiting budget was a mere $50,000 and June Jones hadn't been able to recruit the mainland in 3 years!
He did more with less than any other coach they've had.
Mark my words, Hawaii fans with miss this guy.

Blah!
touchdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

i agree with tide on this. maybe this will be the wake up that hawaii needs to get things going. hawaii could of been on the verge of doing something great and jones leaves not for a bigger contract (even though it is bigger). hawaii facilitys are awful probably one of the worst among Division 1 schools. they have the lowest recruiting budget in all of div 1. i would of like to see june stay now that we got that big check coming in and we can actually do some recruiting on the mainland.

best of luck to june jones at smu. ive watched them play the last couple of years they got some decent talent, and they already run a slight version of the run-n-shoot so it wont be totatly new to them. they got a good young quarterback in justin willis. watch out for SMU conference USA
Old 01-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
as much as I love the University of Hawaii... the one person i never liked was june jones... it was only a matter of time before he left... its a perfect oppurtunity for him to leave as he gets almost 2 million and colt, davonne and basically half the starters on our sugar bowl team are grads... i dont like this one bit and hopefully hawaii fans come to realize that he is just another selfish coach searching for money...

He wasn't under contract... How the hell is he classless?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

He didn't leave for money, he left for a program that actually wants to be successful in the long run.

He gets all the following advantages:

-Better athletic boosters.
-Gets better facilities for the players.
-Gets a larger recruiting budget.
-No more long flights for away games.
-Will be able to recruit on the mainland.
-Has the chance to take SMU from nearly done due to receiving the Death Penalty from the NCAA to a legit program.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

[QUOTE=CrimsonTideSteelersFan;353305] Hawaii is faced with the dilemma of not having very much available space for a new stadium anytime soon. But, if the UH administration would have made a commitment to improving the horrible practice facilities, dressing rooms, etc. on campus, this would have gone a long way in helping the program to be successful in the long run.
QUOTE]

There is a reason the Rainbow Warriors are not ready for the Pac-10 as many here were clamouring on about.

Aloha Stadium has the character of a hollow block and the thrill of watching a mason build a hollow block wall. And I see zero justification for UH to capitalize a world-class college football program. Hawaii should be spending the money on educating the under-educated masses here rather than stoking a game for a few.

It's hard to fault June Jones for getting sick-and-tired of working undercaptialized and operating on a shoe string. Even with success it get's old and tired.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:50 PM   #9
steelergirl07
Bench Warmer

Location: Original Hawaii girl, now living in Seahawks country
Member Number: 6622

I'm sad to see him go, but he doesn't have much more to accomplish at hawaii. He turned our program around, led us to an undefeated season, and brought us to a bowl game. And not to mention all the players that got or will be drafted. He did great and I wish him all the best.
I also think this might be a big f-u to all the hawaii people who hated him when he first got here. Which I think is awesome.

Six time Super Bowl Champions!!!
steelergirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634

Although I would never leave Hawaii if I had a cushy job on the big Island, I can understand why he left. SMU has a much better chance to compete year in and year out than Hawaii does. If SMU is serious about their football program, Jones will have many more tools to get his job done. SMU is in the Dallas area. Tons of quality players are within driving distance.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote