Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568
Default Looking for more from the class of 2007

http://news.steelers.com/article/86945/
thought is was another look at tomlin
Looking for more from the class of 2007
Friday, January 18, 2008
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

There is no question that head coach Mike Tomlin would have liked to have had more production out of his rookie class this year, but by no means is he passing judgment on that class based on just one year.

The success or failure of a rookie class should never be measured after the first year. The evaluation process is something that definitely occurs over time.

?One season does not define a career. In terms of evaluating this draft, it will be years down the line in terms of me being willing to do that,? said Tomlin. ?In the short term it is my desire to drive these men, to push these men to be the best that they can be.

?Should their roles evolve and increase? They better because we will be bringing in a new class. That is just the nature of this thing. But it doesn?t define them and won?t define them whether they had great success or great failure. The (Alan) Faneca, Hines Ward, Deshea (Townsend) Draft ? great draft. But that?s my mentality in terms of evaluating this one.?

One player that Tomlin really wants to see grow is first-round pick Lawrence Timmons, who will compete this offseason for the ?mack? inside linebacker spot currently occupied by Larry Foote.

?He has shown to be a sharp guy,? said Tomlin. ?He better be willing to have a ?get in where you fit in? mentality, because he needs to get on the field and help us.?

Timmons has some battles he had to fight this year to get playing time, including being behind Foote and Farrior inside. It helped with the learning process, but kept him on the sidelines more often than not.

?I?m just blessed to be in a good situation and having veterans like these in front of me,? said

Timmons. ?It?s just a great experience to sit behind the guys and see how it?s done. It?s laid out for me that this is what I need to be doing.?

The lack of playing time is giving Timmons a chance to learn the complex Steelers defense, something that is an ongoing process.

?Taking time to learn the playbook and listen to what the coaches tell me, that?ll carry over to when I?m playing,? said Timmons. ?In two-a-days, you?re learning the set defenses. But from week to week during the season, you have a different game plan. You?ve got to adjust.?

Timmons missed time during coaching sessions and training camp with a hamstring injury, slowing down his progress. With a full off-season to get ready, Tomlin expects him to come back strong.

?We look for bigger and better things from him,? said Tomlin.

But it?s not just Timmons. Tomlin would like to see more from each member of the 2007 rookie class as they move forward. Linebacker LaMarr Woodley started to come on strong as the season came to a close. Tight end Matt Spaeth, the teams? third round pick, caught three touchdown passes early in the season and provided a big target for Ben Roethlisberger. Punter Daniel Sepulveda was selected as the team?s rookie of the year and had the biggest contribution on the field.

?This entire draft class has got to get better,? said Tomlin. ?We?ve had contributions from those guys in some areas. But they?ve got to keep moving on with it. This off season is big.?

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default Re: Looking for more from the class of 2007

i read this a few days ago, this gets me excited about what timmons can do with the inside and what woodley will do outside. william gay is a guy i think we all need to watch out for, matt spaeth will be the next jerame tuman, mcbean has so much potential and i dont know why he didnt play last year. dallas baker could be on the team next year also.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

yeah with baker and speath, there really isn't a reason tuman should be on the team... gay should evolve into a good cb...

Old 01-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

IDK, until speath proves to be as good of a blocker, I'd like to see Tuman stick around, health permitting. As for Baker, I think I'll wait till he makes the team this year before I credit him with anything.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:33 AM   #5
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
IDK, until speath proves to be as good of a blocker, I'd like to see Tuman stick around, health permitting. As for Baker, I think I'll wait till he makes the team this year before I credit him with anything.
i feel the same way about baker.. if u have size and no speed it doesn't help... just cause u were mr. touchdown or w/e i college means nothing in the pros... im hoping to see us draft a WR in the later roudns again this year and see what we end up with
Old 01-20-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,164 Times in 1,344 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I just don't think baker will be a good wide reciever I had my hopes when we drafted him but I don't think he has what it takes.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Wiliam Gay, that's someone I want see more of

I remember in preseason how he was jacking people up and making some picks, I want to see that more

Right now he won't be more than a 4th CB cause he has great players in front of him, but once deshea hangs it up( or is traded or released or whatever) gay could be a great replacement
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

gay would be,, he has some good speed to keep up with ppl, i just hope he keeps improving..