Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 AM   #11
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Re: Colbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
Teh Steelers don't overspend , that is a good thing, A R E is a prime example, he got ridiculas money from the Skins. Free agency is not the way to go either, players have great seasons playing in another teams system, then sign for big money elsewhere only to be "ordinary``
Kelly Washington may have been great for teh Pats, but why sign anybody form the Bengals, you just don`t know what you`re getting there from a character standpoint.
Build through the draft and sign FA that fit our style at a reasonable price.
Let's get one thing straight, I admire the way the Rooneys work. The Steelers set the standard for those practices, which others like the Pats emulate. In no way am I saying we should have payed ARE the money he was looking for.

That said, Kelley Washington is exactly the type of FA we should go after. This is basically the point I was trying to make. Washington was a WR on a team that had three quality WRs in front of him. That is the type of situation where you can get a FA cheap because they are looking to get out from underneath someone else's shadow. He played for a team we saw twice a year, so we should know what he is capable of and if he indeed has character issues.

Washington was an example I used to illustrate my point. I believe he is a good example because he is big and physical (something we've all been looking for in a WR), he was cheap, and he is an asset to STs (which we lack at this time).

As Tony mentioned in his post, the Pats picking up Welker for a 2nd and a 7th round pick was a nobrainer. They had seen enough of that guy playing the Fins twice a year that they knew he was worth it. Part of the equation is the fact that your getting a good player and diminishing your rival as well.

Am I out of line to think that someone in our personell dept. should have made a move on Welker? Who should know better than our personell people that we needed a return guy, or that C. Wilson was not panning out. Would any of you NOT trade Wilson for Welker right now?

I just feel that something is lacking. Maybe it is Colbert, maybe it is our scouting. One thing for sure, I'm not blaming the Rooneys.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Personally, I don't want Welker. He would be nothing as a receiver ---except for the fear of Randy Moss. He fits the Pats scheme--I truly believe he would not work in ours.

Return man---sure---but when that trade was being pulled off, Reid was still believed to be the guy for the job---the FO couldn't anticipate his fumblitis (remember he was hurt last season)

Overall we've done well in the draft over the past several years --- '03 Troy, '04 Ben
'05 Heath '06 Santonio. Not a single dud in the first round in 4 years (I will hold judgment on Timmons) Remember that sometimes, just because guys aren't on the roster here and didn't make the team, doesn't mean they were poor choices---they often get picked up somewhere else. In the 06 draft all the sports analysts were saying that we should trade up and use up some extra picks because there is no way 7 guys new rookies could make our roster---ie we were "deep" and din't need a lot.
Well, with age and FA, a lot changes in a couple of years and now we need help a lot of places----but that can't be blamed entirely on Colbert and the Scouts.

But, if you really think Colbert needs to go, I hear Dave Littlefield is looking for a job . . .
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,800 Times in 4,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post

Am I out of line to think that someone in our personell dept. should have made a move on Welker? Who should know better than our personell people that we needed a return guy, or that C. Wilson was not panning out. Would any of you NOT trade Wilson for Welker right now?

I just feel that something is lacking. Maybe it is Colbert, maybe it is our scouting. One thing for sure, I'm not blaming the Rooneys.
personally, before this season, i wouldve rather the steelers went after keyshawn johnson over wes welker. i would easilly trade c. wilson for welker now, but wison is significantly cheaper and doesnt cost a 2nd round pick (remember, the steelers traded away their 2nd rounder just 2 years ago to move up and draft s. holmes).

i dont think anything is lacking with colbert or the scouting. i will give 2 recent examples of excellent scouting where we simply didnt "land the fish"-

1) after 04 we let p. burress walk. we offer tj houshmandzadeh a contract. "trading" plex and a salary twice as high for tj (both are pro bowlers putting up really nice numbers) wouldve been an excellent move. tj fit our system and our needs at the time (tall wr opposite ward) much better than someone like welker wouldve.

unfortunately tj made the worst possible career decision, when he decided to take less money and remain a bungle. steelers went with their 2nd option (c. wilson) and won a superbowl.

2) after last season the steelers needed a punter. they took some heat for using a 4th and 6th round pick to take the best rookie punter available. but that was plan b.

did anyone know who andy lee was when the steelers offered him a 6 year deal for 7 million? does anyone know who he is now? he is the punter for the NFC in the pro bowl and was selected to this years All Pro team (which places him as the best punter in the game this year).

i think the steelers wouldve had to surrender a 7th rounder had the 49ers not matched the offer sheet.

once again, plan A fell through and plan B proves to be not as effective.

im not positive but i think the patriots put a poison pill in the offer sheet to welker that pretty much made it impossible for the dolphins to keep welker. once they realized they were not gonna be able to keep their player out of the patriots hands, they decided to talk trade and get as much as they could get for him and the patriots (in an act of "mercy") removed the poison pill clause from the contract.

the steelers did no such thing when it came to signing andy lee, even though they had every right to do so. the rooneys just dont operate that way, and are actually concerned about the integrity of the league. they are not gonna get into any shady or underhanded business dealing like some other owners are willing to do.

in both cases, the steelers scouted and targeted a relatively unsung or unheard of player right before they broke out and made a name for themselves. while not landing them can be looked at as a failure, recognizing them and targeting them can be looked at as a scouting success.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #14
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
Personally, I don't want Welker. He would be nothing as a receiver ---except for the fear of Randy Moss. He fits the Pats scheme--I truly believe he would not work in ours..
Your right Counselor, why would we want a guy that can basically do it all?? The guy catches almost anything thrown his way, is tough as nails and blocks. Why would we want a guy like that??

You know I'm being sarcastic right? C'mon Counselor, how can you honestly say he would'nt fit our system. He would be a #4 WR anyways, Ced is our #4 WR.

Quote:
Return man---sure---but when that trade was being pulled off, Reid was still believed to be the guy for the job---the FO couldn't anticipate his fumblitis (remember he was hurt last season) ..
Exactly, Reid was hurt with an injury that left many uncertain about his future. Besides, Welker would have taken Ceds and Reids place. Two for one or one for two!? whatever

Quote:
Overall we've done well in the draft over the past several years --- '03 Troy, '04 Ben
'05 Heath '06 Santonio. Not a single dud in the first round in 4 years ..
We have not been so successful on day two though, the proof of that shows on STs and the fact that our defensive front seven are almost all over 30.

Counselor, you and Tony have great posts and I respect and appreciate the feedback, always. Tony great points on TJ and Lee, excellent. Thanks guys!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote