Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-29-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default STEELERS PULL FOR PLEX

http://postgazette.com/pg/08030/853249-66.stm

Burress finally gets to reach for the ring
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PHOENIX -- Bill Cowher called him the day after the New York Giants won the NFC championship. Other former Steelers teammates and coaches followed with phone calls, such as Jerome Bettis, Casey Hampton, Mike Logan, Joey Porter, Ike Taylor.

They would love to see Plaxico Burress join their Super Bowl ring club, albeit two years removed.

"Got a call from coach Cowher," Burress said, smiling broadly during a quiet interview Monday evening at the Giants' hotel in Chandler, Ariz. "He was telling me to enjoy the whole two weeks. He told me I deserve it, enjoy it and don't be afraid to tell people 'No!' Just go out and do what I've been doing and play to the best of my ability."

Bettis told him to not only enjoy the moment but also make the most of it, as the Bus did in his final NFL game, a Super Bowl XL victory in his hometown of Detroit.

"He was just telling me, 'Hey, man, don't let it get away. Go get that ring,' " Burress said.

The calls from his former coaches and teammates uplifted Burress, a 6-51/2 wide receiver who teamed with Hines Ward to have the most productive tandem in Steelers receiving history in 2002. The Steelers drafted Burress eighth overall in 2000 and he signed with the Giants five years later as a free agent.

Burress, who has played all season through an ankle injury that once caused former Steelers back Barry Foster to have midseason surgery, is the "other" tall receiver in Super Bowl XLII. Although 1 1/2 inches taller than New England's Randy Moss, Burress lives in his shadow this week and that's OK by him. After all, Moss set the NFL record with 23 touchdown receptions this season.

"Ever since I've been in this league, Randy has been the best receiver playing, as far as speed, making plays and the things he does," Burress said.

The New York Giants, too, are dwarfed this week by the Patriots, who are steaming along at 18-0; the Patriots are two-touchdown favorites to become the first NFL champion with a 19-0 record.

The Giants can do just what Burress' old teammates did in 2005 when the Steelers won three playoff games on the road and then became Super Bowl champions. Burress said he was so happy then that he flew to California to party with some Steelers after they beat the Seattle Seahawks for the title.

Now many of them are pulling for Burress and his Giants.

"Plax left and we won the Super Bowl," Ward noted. "I saw him in that offseason, and to me, he was still part of that team. Now he gets his opportunity to play in the Super Bowl and I hope he can go out and play and beat New England."

Burress is a big reason the Giants have come this far. Despite that ankle injury, he caught 70 passes for 1,025 yards and 12 touchdowns in the regular season.

"I was really happy for him," Cowher said yesterday from his home in Raleigh, N.C. "What he did this year, playing through that injury and his leadership he showed. He's become a very unselfish player and guy who accounts for own actions."

In the Giants' overtime victory against the Packers in Green Bay in the NFC championship game, Burress caught 11 passes for 154 yards. He said his ankle today is nearly at full strength.

"I think 70, 75 percent of Plaxico Burress is better than half of the wide receivers playing anywhere," he said. "That's the way that I feel."

Burress said he had to leave Pittsburgh and an offense that reverted to the run so that he could develop as a top-flight receiver.

"I had a big year in '02; Kordell [Stewart] ended up getting hurt and we ended up throwing the ball like 40, 44 times a game. But we went back to the old recipe," Burress said.

"As far as me flourishing and being able to go out and be in an offense to where I could really get to the level where I wanted to be, I didn't really think that was the place for me, even though I loved playing there and I loved playing with Hines and some of those guys.

"As far as the offense and as far as me being a receiver, I don't think it would allow me to start to see my potential."

Even Ben Roethlisberger, who pleaded with the Steelers after the 2004 season to keep Burress, believes his former receiver has flourished with the Giants.

"Nothing against Plax," the Steelers quarterback said recently, "but Plax looks like a different receiver than I ever had here or who was here before I was here."

And now, Burress is seeking the Super Bowl ring that most of his former teammates have.

"In life," he said, "all you can ask for is an opportunity."
Old 01-30-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: STEELERS PULL FOR PLEX

That still doesn't excuse Plax for playing the race card and painting Pittsburgh as a prejudiced, racist city after he left.

I'm only pulling for Plax simply because he's playing the Asstriots and that is it.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I'm pulling for the Giants, but I'm not pulling for Plaxico Burress. Glad to hear the players support him. Not exactly surprising news. I wasn't expecting Steeler players to come out and say "I hope he drops eight balls".

Between his comments about Pittsburgh, the crying and complaining, I really do not care what Plaxico Burress accomplishes during his career. While I do not see them having a chance in hell when it comes to beating the Pariots, it would be nice to see them pull it off.

Eitherway, I will not lose sleep if the Patriots win. They are bums who resort to cheating.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
That still doesn't excuse Plax for playing the race card and painting Pittsburgh as a prejudiced, racist city after he left.
Someone needs to ask Plexiglass why Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell are the most beloved sports figures in Pittsburgh history.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

What is the other option?

The Patriots.

Go Plex!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Pi..Pi..Pitts....Pittsburr...Pittsburgh na..na..na..natives. Pa...Pa...Please cha..cha cha cha....cheer fo..fo..for me this wee..wee wee...weekend.

Tha..thank.....you.

Sincerely,

Plaxico "Tha Rock" Burress
Old 01-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I'm pulling for the Giants, but I'm not pulling for Plaxico Burress. Glad to hear the players support him. Not exactly surprising news. I wasn't expecting Steeler players to come out and say "I hope he drops eight balls".

Between his comments about Pittsburgh, the crying and complaining, I really do not care what Plaxico Burress accomplishes during his career. While I do not see them having a chance in hell when it comes to beating the Pariots, it would be nice to see them pull it off.

Eitherway, I will not lose sleep if the Patriots win. They are bums who resort to cheating.
I hope we play them opening night if they win and crash the party.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634

I'm pulling for Plax. I would like to see him get a ring.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:22 AM   #9
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler in Carolina View Post
I'm pulling for Plax. I would like to see him get a ring.
i would like to see a 10 catch 170 yard 2 TD performance.. and superbowl MVP...

if he does win we will have had two superbowl MVP WR's on our team at one point.... for a team known for running the ball that's impresive...
Old 01-31-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

GO GIANTS!!!

KICK LITP IN HIS GAY D! CK WHILE YOU'RE AT IT!!!

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote