Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-05-2005, 06:53 PM   #11
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Who are the Pittsburgh Steelers ?

A) We need Marvel Smith back to solidify the Oline
B) Willie seemed unstoppable in the second half, and that was before it was obvious we had to pass. Clearly the Steelers made an adjustment at halftime and exploited something in the Bengals D. He was running up the middle for 6-7-8 yards a pop (6 carries for 51 yards, as opposed to the 9-20 in the first half)...then he started fumbling.

Turnover's lost this game for us. That and losing the field position battle, which is a direct by-product of TO's.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:59 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,951 Times in 4,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Its probably a confusing time to be a Steeler fan - with Bettis nearing the end of an excellent career the Steelers have had a snap shot of how difficult it will be to replace him.

I dont think its just Steeler fans who are struggling to define their teams identity this year - their coach seems to be having a similar problem.

There is no point in persevering with a smashmouth mentality if you dont have the personnel on the O-Line or in the back field to make it work effectively, the problem being that the Steelers aren't built for shootouts either.

It may well be next year before the Steelers get a chance to re-evaluate their situation and decide on what identity their team is going to take - smashmouth is not dead but they need suitable talent to make it a viable option.

I am a firm believer that to give yourself the best possible chance to win-it-all you need to have a team that is well balanced between offense and defense and the ability to alter your game plan to suit a given situation.

The best examples I can give woud be the Patriots teams of the last 2 years and the Rams of 2001 (even though they lost due to terrible coaching) - both had talent on 'O' and 'D' - both were able to run and pass depending on what the game situation dictated.

If there is any consolation there are not really any teams of the calibre of the 3 teams I mentioned above in this years NFL - most potential SB winners are hugely balanced toward the 'O' (Cincy, Colts, Chargers) or overwhelmingly toward the 'D' (Chicago, Carolina, Bucs)

Cheers

NM
while i agree with much above it must be much more confusing being a bengal fan right now, having to deal with "success" and all for the 1st time.

i see youre still sleeping on the colts defense. just remember that t. dungy knows a thing or 2 about defense. the colts dont struggle against everybody defensively (really the patriots have been their only achillies heel), and that no one really knew many of the patriot defenders when they stepped on the sceene in 2001. colts got youth that is developing. theyre pretty well rounded this year, and play good sound football.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:01 PM   #13
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Colts will have to step up their run defense in the play offs and for next year though.. they have been run on this year with pretty good success by alot of teams. If we had an OL that could block at the time, we could have too.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #14
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I think our biggest problem is we get NO pressure on opposing qb`s. None! Our dbs can only cover for so long!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:40 PM   #15
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
I think our biggest problem is we get NO pressure on opposing qb`s. None! Our dbs can only cover for so long!
I agree. Every time we blitz it appears to be picked up pretty effectively. Why can't we apply pressure? We haven't had any injuries.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:46 PM   #16
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

And the funny thing is, we DID apply some pressure to Peyton the week before...he was clearly confused several times. Whatever we did against the Bengals didn't work.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:10 PM   #17
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Which is suprising for a Lebeau led defense. The man is the master mind of the zone blitz but it seems to be picked up well at times. Makes you wonder whether its execution or scheme.

I tend to think its execution. Lebeau knows what he's doing but he cant make the players fight thru the blocks, or make the tackles.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:17 PM   #18
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

We need to come harder, faster, and more often
Old 12-05-2005, 08:18 PM   #19
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

oh yeah, and tackling better would be a good thing too !!