Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

View Poll Results: Who would you select for the Steelers?
Williams 11 35.48%
Cherilus 8 25.81%
Otah 12 38.71%
John 0 0%
willi 0 0%
fhgh 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Which OT should Steelers chose?

This Information is coming to you from Rivals.com
My question for you all is: If the Steelers take an OT in the 1st round, who should it be and why?

Frank Coyle's analysis of the class:
This year's offensive tackle group is an above-average class. The addition of juniors Ryan Clady and Anthony Collins certainly helped the depth at this spot.
POSITION
GRADE
B
Jake Long will likely be the first player selected at this position, and he should go in the top 10. There will be at least three first-round picks with prospects like Clady, Gosder Cherilus, Chris Williams and Jeff Otah all possible first-round selections - depending on their performances at the NFL Combine.

This class should have at least eight players selected in the first 100 picks, and the group could produce as many as 12 players who will develop into NFL starters. #rankcontainer {font-size:8.5pt; text-align:left; color:black; width:638px;}#bluebar {padding:4px; background-color:#0a4ea3; font-weight:900; color:white; text-transform:uppercase; font-size:8.5pt;}#logos {padding:8px 0px; width:50px; float:left; text-align:center;}#logos img {width:40px; height:25px;}#rankteam {padding:6px; background-color:#f6f6f8; text-align:left; font-size:8.5pt; line-height:150%; vertical-align:middle; border-bottom:#e4e7eb 1px solid;}#rankteam em {font-weight:900; text-transform:uppercase; font-style:normal}
2008 NFL Draft Offensive Tackle Rankings
1. Jake Long, 6-7, 305, Michigan
Long is a physical player who has the skills and collegiate experience to start as an NFL rookie.
2. * Ryan Clady, 6-5, 320, Boise State
Clady is a nimble junior left tackle who is prepping for a strong NFL Combine effort after a dominant career in the WAC.
3. Gosder Cherilus, 6-6, 320, Boston College
Cherilus is a massive, yet athletic, left tackle. He has developed nicely and had a big performance at the Senior Bowl - which puts him right there with the elite prospects in this group.
4. Chris Williams, 6-6, 315, Vanderbilt
Williams is a big, mobile prospect who has developed nicely over his career. He graded out high against top SEC talent and closed his college career with a strong Senior Bowl performance.
5. Jeff Otah, 6-6, 340, Pittsburgh
Otah is a huge and mobile prospect who has very good footwork. He has the size, weight and speed to be one of the fastest rising prospects in this class.
6. Sam Baker, 6-5, 308, USC
Baker faced a key week at the Senior Bowl after an injury-marred final season. He performed fairly well in Mobile, and could move up on draft boards if he shines at the Combine. 7. Tony Hills, 6-6, 305, Texas
This big and mobile prospect developed nicely over his college career, but he is still rehabbing a broken leg suffered in early November.
8. * Anthony Collins, 6-6, 310, Kansas
This underclassman is a nimble player who developed nicely over the 2007 season. Collins has all the tools necessary to be a fine pro.
9. John Greco, 6-5, 320, Toledo
Greco is a physical prospect who has displayed a fine combination of power, technique and quickness. The question is if his skills will translate against top competition.
10. King Dunlap, 6-8, 310, Auburn
This very tall Tiger has good footwork and his technique is improving. Dunlap has the power to develop into a potential NFL starter.
11. Heath Benedict, 6-6, 320, Newberry
This former Tennessee Volunteer has the size and skill to play in the NFL. He will compete for playing time on the outside as a pro with further development.
12. Duane Brown, 6-5, 305, Virginia Tech
Brown completed a fine college career, displaying good footwork and technique to play either inside or outside. His versatility will be an asset.
13. Kirk Barton, 6-5, 310, Ohio State

14. Chad Rinehart, 6-5, 315, Northern Iowa

15. Barry Richardson, 6-6, 345, Clemson

16. Carl Nicks, 6-5, 335, Nebraska

17. Pedro Sosa, 6-4, 290, Rutgers

18. Shannon Boatman, 6-6, 320, Florida State

19. Akim Millington, 6-5, 310, Illinois

20. David Hale, 6-6, 310, Weber State

Frank Coyle is a nationally known NFL scout who publishes Draft Insiders' Digest and www.draftinsiders.com. In it's 16th season, Draft Insiders' Digest is dedicated to year-round coverage of NFL and NCAA Football. He covers the NFL Draft and free agency extensively with a veteran scouting staff that provides insightful and unique information on players and team potential in the coming seasons. Draft Insiders' Digest is an extensive publication that produces over 20 issues throughout the year, beginning with an Online Pro Prospects Preview and Fantasy Football Rankings in August and a 200-page Draft Yearbook in March.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Elvis
Banned

Default Re: Which OT should Steelers chose?

Sorry I messed up the choices and I cant figure out how to fix them. But this is the way they should look as your 4th choice thru the 6th choice.
4 Clady
5 Baker
6 Richardson
Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

I want either Williams or Cherilus. I like Otah but he seems to be a pure RT, i would rather us draft a pure LT instead
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Elvis
Banned

Lord, I agree with ya my friend. I just think that Cherilus would be a better guy for us though. Yeah, Left side is where we are needing the most help I think. The left side is to protect Bens' blind side and that is very important to our future. I know this years draft is full of OT's but I think that it is very important to get a top notch guy as early as possible. I really think that the Steelers should resign Starks though.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Also went with Cherilus, based on strength...mobility...and potential ceiling.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:30 AM   #6
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

hmm i went with williams just cause we need a stud LT... marvel is great but any time a LINEMEN is having back issues that is never good..
Old 02-10-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
brsteelers
Water Boy

Member Number: 2625

Pretty much the same. Got to go with Cherilus. BC linemen tend to do well in the pros.
brsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,247 Times in 1,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
I want either Williams or Cherilus. I like Otah but he seems to be a pure RT, i would rather us draft a pure LT instead
colon gave up, by far a team high of 12.5 sacks from the RIGHT side. its been noted several times through out the years the steelers have more success running the ball to the left side. the bottom line is, smith will probably walk next year, so we need both sides, at the very least for depth. but i think going into this year ,the priority should be to replace colon on the right.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
colon gave up, by far a team high of 12.5 sacks from the RIGHT side. its been noted several times through out the years the steelers have more success running the ball to the left side. the bottom line is, smith will probably walk next year, so we need both sides, at the very least for depth. but i think going into this year ,the priority should be to replace colon on the right.
I know you dont like Wharton..but he was probably out of position on the left side at Carolina...RT may be a better place for him where he wont get the speed rushers off the left side
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,247 Times in 1,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I know you dont like Wharton..but he was probably out of position on the left side at Carolina...RT may be a better place for him where he wont get the speed rushers off the left side
LLT, i visited a carolina web site to see what they have to say about losing wharton....they don't seem to be to worried about it. in fact, i seen starks name being thrown around as a replacement !!! ....its funny how everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side. many also suggested, if they keep wharton,he should be moved to guard.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote