Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-11-2008, 06:17 AM   #11
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Re: Ben's uncomfortable dropback

Honestly I couldn't tell you if the mechanics of Ben's drop back are faulty or not? Maybe it could be improved, you would think that's something the Steelers staff would be trying to do if needed.

There's no question Ben takes too many sacks and hits. Part of it is Ben's intense desire to extend plays at all costs, sometimes to poor results. But for every time we cringe there's at least as many times that we're cheering as Ben's made a huge play out of potential disaster. Eli's desperation heave to David Tyree in the Super Bowl was reminscent of a Ben improvisation.

But getting back to the point, I think Ben probably could be coached up to take better drops, make better decisions etc... but you've got to be careful. If you get Ben thinking too much he might not be the dynamic playmaker that we've come to know and the Steelers need. Personally I think the answer lies more with improving the offensive line. I defy anyone to tell me that's not one of the worst pass blocking lines in the NFL, and I don't care who's standing behind them that wont change. Mahan and Simmons aren't NFL caliber starters. Colon might be, but would probably be better off at guard. And Marvel Smith isn't what he used to be or needs to be.

Can it be fixed in one offseason? Who knows, but it's certainly worth the effort. And time spent here would be much better rewarded in the end than tearing Ben down and trying to recreate him in Tom Brady's image.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #12
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Honestly I couldn't tell you if the mechanics of Ben's drop back are faulty or not? Maybe it could be improved, you would think that's something the Steelers staff would be trying to do if needed.

There's no question Ben takes too many sacks and hits. Part of it is Ben's intense desire to extend plays at all costs, sometimes to poor results. But for every time we cringe there's at least as many times that we're cheering as Ben's made a huge play out of potential disaster. Eli's desperation heave to David Tyree in the Super Bowl was reminscent of a Ben improvisation.

But getting back to the point, I think Ben probably could be coached up to take better drops, make better decisions etc... but you've got to be careful. If you get Ben thinking too much he might not be the dynamic playmaker that we've come to know and the Steelers need. Personally I think the answer lies more with improving the offensive line. I defy anyone to tell me that's not one of the worst pass blocking lines in the NFL, and I don't care who's standing behind them that wont change. Mahan and Simmons aren't NFL caliber starters. Colon might be, but would probably be better off at guard. And Marvel Smith isn't what he used to be or needs to be.

Can it be fixed in one offseason? Who knows, but it's certainly worth the effort. And time spent here would be much better rewarded in the end than tearing Ben down and trying to recreate him in Tom Brady's image.
Great post zu and I couldn't agree more! You are absolutely right about exercising caution in trying to change Ben's "style", which could end up being detrimental in the long run. What works for one QB doesn't necessarily work for another and as long as Ben continues to be effective doing what he does, if he and Anderson are cool with it, I'm cool with it. I don't think there is a QB in the league who wouldn't be scrambling and running for his life behind our swiss cheese OL as it stands now.

My only disagreement with your post is that Mahan isn't an NFL calibre starter. He definitely isn't C material as was proven this past season, but he was a decent G in Tampa and I'd like to see what he can do at that position before throwing him off the bus. Some players can adjust to being switched around, but obviously Mahan isn't one of them.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #13
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Getting back to Ben, his mechanics are a little unorthodox, but they work for him. Look at Favre. He has one of the most unconventional throwing motions I've ever seen, AND he repeatedly throws off his back foot which is a huge no-no. But it certainly works for him!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #14
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

As long as he doesn't throw INTs, he can do a back flip when he drops back for all I care.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #15
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

ben's throwing motion is the LEAST of our concerns this offseason.

the O-line need an overhaul just to make it average and the D-line has no depth. we could use a second RB also. i'm OK with CB and WR......for now.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #16
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Eli's desperation heave to David Tyree in the Super Bowl was reminscent of a Ben improvisation.
i told my sister that eli must have been watching film on ben, on how to extend a play..lol

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #17
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Hey you can't blame him there, def. when your o-line gives around 1-2 seconds if he is lucky to make a play ha. Ben is used to scrammbling and moving around and thats what he likes to do.
He is no Peyton Manning or Brady(Pocket Passers), Ben makes plays on his feet and i think with a good or bad o-line thats the Ben we shall always see!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #18
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

It would be interesting to see a stat on how many of Ben's TD passes have come from out of the pocket or at least while on the move, rather than typical pocket passes. Not just for this year, since the line was so bad and he was often scrambling for his life, but overall for his career so far.

Did I mention - don't really have the time to look up this type of info
but would be interesting to see....
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:53 AM   #19
SteelersJW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5742

It's because he's a F|_|Ckin badass. And who gives a shit how he drops back? Does it really matter? He's kind of good.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #20
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

During the regular season he was staggering backward because he was getting hit before he had the ball and in the Pro Bowl he was probably just astonished that he wasn't already laying on his back at the bottom of the pile.