Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #11
Polamalu Princess
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 7120
Default Re: Navy Intercepts Russian Bombers

[QUOTE=OneForTheToe;366170]Add this to this issue the problems the Russians had recently with Japan and the comments they made today regarding the Ukraine and it does seem to be a pattern.QUOTE]

I think that is what concerns me the most...it seems to be a pattern and that is not good. I am also concerned with North Korea and what they threaten as well.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #12
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
either that, or writing them a big financial aid check....
Just wake me when the UN actually becomes useful MOP.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:43 AM   #13
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

I think this should just be the offical "Eye on Russia thread",

Russia threatens nuclear attack on Ukraine

By Bruno Waterfield in Brussels
Last Updated: 7:57pm GMT 12/02/2008

Russia has threatened to target the Ukraine with nuclear warheads if the former Soviet republic joins Nato and accepts the deployment of United States anti-missile defences on its territory.

Russia threatens nuclear attack on Ukraine
The Russian and Ukrainian leaders had just held emergency talks in the Kremlin

President Vladimir Putin of Russia warned Ukraine's leader Viktor Yushchenko of "retaliatory actions" should his country join the Western alliance during a joint press conference in Moscow.

"It's frightening not just to talk about this, but even to think about, that in response to such deployment, the possibility of such deployments - and one can't theoretically exclude these deployments - that Russia will have to point its warheads at Ukrainian territory," he said.

The Russian and Ukrainian leaders had just held emergency talks in the Kremlin to avert a energy supply crisis over Kiev gas bill - a similar dispute two years ago led to power cuts across Europe.

Mr Yushchenko responded to the Russian pressure by insisting on Ukraine's right to decide its own foreign policy while stressing that his country's constitution would not allow US military bases on its territory.

"You understand well that everything that Ukraine does in this direction is not in any way directed at any third country, including Russia," he replied.

"We follow the principle that any nation has the right to define its own security. Our constitution does not allow deployment by a third country or bloc on Ukrainian territory."

Mr Putin has condemned Washington's plans to include Poland and the Czech Republic in a missile defence shield as a "new phase in the arms race".

Russia fears the shield will threaten its national security and tip strategic military balance in Europe.

"The goal [of the missile shield] is to neutralise our nuclear capabilities," said Mr Putin.

"This would prompt Russia to take retaliatory action."

Moscow has already declared that Russia will pull out of the Conventional Forces in Europe Treaty (CFE), which came into force in 1992 and restricts the deployment of troops and tanks near sensitive European frontiers.

Last week, John Chipman, the head of the International Institute for Strategic Studies, warned that the "next target of Moscow's assertive revisionism "could be the Intermediate Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty of 1987.

Both would be moves that would allow Russia to build a new generation of medium-range nuclear missiles capable of striking Western Europe. As relations between Russia and many of its near neighbours deteriorate, Ukraine has submitted a formal membership request to Nato, to be considered a summit of alliance leaders in the Romanian capital of Bucharest this April.

Mr Putin has accepted an invitation to attend the meeting and Russia's parliament last month voted to stop using Soviet-built military radars in Ukraine because of Kiev's Nato ambitions.

The prospect of Nato membership is also deeply controversial in the Ukraine, where opinion polls show that over half of the country opposes it.

Russia has revived the long-range air patrols that were once a standard feature of the Cold War and US defence officials confirmed that a pair of Russian TU-95 Bear bombers overflew a US aircraft carrier in the western Pacific at an altitude of 2,000 feet (660 meters) over the weekend.

Four F-18 fighters jets intercepted the Russian bombers on Saturday morning, but not before they had overflown the USS Nimitz.

It was the second time since July 2004 that a Russian Bear bomber has overflown a US aircraft carrier.

It was not immediately known whether the United States issued any protests with the Russians.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #14
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

This is the very definition of "Saber rattling". The Russians were marginalized for a long time, and they, much like a jealous ex-girlfriend who got a little chunky but still can clean herself up on occasion, are out to make some kind of impression with whatever tools they have left to them. Problem is, they have a ton of nukes, so they need to be handled with kid gloves.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #15
Polamalu Princess
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
This is the very definition of "Saber rattling". The Russians were marginalized for a long time, and they, much like a jealous ex-girlfriend who got a little chunky but still can clean herself up on occasion, are out to make some kind of impression with whatever tools they have left to them. Problem is, they have a ton of nukes, so they need to be handled with kid gloves.
My husband told me about "Saber Rattling" and I understand what is meant by the phrase, and I hope and pray that you are right. However, I am inclined to agree with you tenfold about the nukes - we have to make the right decisions and tenacious moves as necessary.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #16
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Keep in mind that the threat of nuclear annihilation is gone. That threat died once everyone realized what kind of genie was actually in that bottle that we unleashed. But the threat of arming a terrorist state is very real. And once the Russians start down this path, how do we know where they will stop? They know we don't have the manpower right now to counter them directly (conventionally), and they are taking advantage of our preoccupation in the middle east. It's ugly, and it makes the next election even more important than it would have been before.

Sorry, Obama looks like Carter to me. Diplomacy at any cost spells failure. Hilary? Too much wag the dog from her husband for me to trust her. McCain is the only guy I'd trust.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #17
Polamalu Princess
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Keep in mind that the threat of nuclear annihilation is gone. That threat died once everyone realized what kind of genie was actually in that bottle that we unleashed. But the threat of arming a terrorist state is very real. And once the Russians start down this path, how do we know where they will stop? They know we don't have the manpower right now to counter them directly (conventionally), and they are taking advantage of our preoccupation in the middle east. It's ugly, and it makes the next election even more important than it would have been before.

Sorry, Obama looks like Carter to me. Diplomacy at any cost spells failure. Hilary? Too much wag the dog from her husband for me to trust her. McCain is the only guy I'd trust.
Actually, I am on track with you so very much.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #18
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polamalu Princess View Post
Actually, I am on track with you so very much.
Well, thanks! I, lately, have felt like common sense has died and gone to purgatory!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #19
Polamalu Princess
Living Legend
Supporter

Well, thanks! I, lately, have felt like common sense has died and gone to purgatory!

Hehe!!!!

Common sense has just about died, but I have faith that someday, somewhere purgatory will be defeated!
Old 02-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #20
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Alot of Russia's current "saber rattling" has to do with the situation in Serbia/Kosovo. The Balkins have always been a problem, for Europe, since the days of the Roman Empire, Byzantine Empire and Ottoman Empire. Quick breakdown of what's going on.

Southern Serbia, known to the UN and the world as Kosovo, wants to declare independence from Serbia. Serbia doesn't want them to have autonomy, for various reasons, historic landmarks, land grab by the Albanians, access to the Sea. The UN is backing Kosovo in this bid for independence, Russia is backing the Serbs.

Breakdown. Kosovo is currently run by a majority rule of Albanians, who are Moslim. The Serbs, majority, are Orthodox Christian. This is religious as much as any war, and also about land and resources, just like any war. The problem, now with Russia backing the Serbs, is they also in the same breath can't back Iran, see, that would upset the Serbs, cause of the religous nature. Russia isn't forming an alliance with Iran, its finding a buyer for his products, (weapons) and that's it. They don't agree on anything other than, the US is bad, and weapons need to exchange hands.

Anyway...I study this stuff, in my spare time, and follow it very closely. Serbia/Kosovo is going to be a huge problem if it isn't contained. And history shows us, that area is where all the world wars start. Its the gateway and clash of civilizations, look at a map, notice who borders all that land, its the "wall" between cultures. Its a mess.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote