Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #31
Dylan
Starter

Member Number: 3276
Default Re: Who do you guys WANT in April???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
I want Felix Jones.

returner, depth at RB, and he can tackle on kick offs. That is what I want in the first round.

Oh, and re-sign Haggans. Cause I like him.
i think thats is why we signed Mewelde moore
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #32
Dylan
Starter

Member Number: 3276

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?teeldude View Post
because a WR in the first is not a pressing need. good O-linemen won't be available in the later rounds. this is why the steelers' O-line has fallen apart. they have been neglecting it for many years. settling for projects and average or below linemen have caught up to the steelers. a WR isn't going to move the ball on the ground, control the clock, give the multi-million dollar QB the time to find WRs or protect him from getting killed.

how much of a playmaker is a WR going to be? holmes was drafted as a playmaker, but the scheme the steelers utilize isn't exactly built for WRs to be playmakers. if they go for a tall WR for stretching the field it would help if BR learned to throw the long ball.

the steelers haven't drafted a decent linemen since marvel smith.

i would take a good offensive lineman over a good WR any day.
i agree with you that it isnt a pressing need, but if there is someone who isnt worth the 23 pick but a good wr or db why not take that and get lets say a Sam Baker(probably wont last that long) in the second... i do agree we need to adress the Oline, no can say we cant
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:07 AM   #33
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,418 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
i have read so many negatives on him that i think he isn't worth a 1st rounder.

Weaknesses:
Will take too many risks...Does not play as fast as he times and lacks a burst...Is not real physical...Just average in run support...Struggles to recover...Inconsistent and is not very disciplined..Has too much confidence in his abilities...Footwork and technique need refining..Gets beat more often than he should...Has off-the-field / character issues that need to be investigated and evaluated...A high bust factor?

IMO, sounds pretty much like mcfadden.
I didn't know he had so many weakeness sounds like he could be a bust.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:47 AM   #34
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
i was referring to the steelers' needs this season.
Steelers needs this year are:
1) OL ...due to Smith being in his final contract year, and the loss of Faneca .
2)Safety ...with little depth and Clarks status, we need to bolster the backfield
3) DL...after Smith tore his bicep, we felt the lack of pass rush.
4) WR... Wilson is gone, Washington is inconsistant, and Ward is not getting any younger
5) CB ...with Deshea turning 33 and Mcfadden in last year of contract, competition is needed
6) FB...Davis is not a dominant blocker, a true blocking FB with short yardage capability would be great.

LT is the second most important position on a team (next to QB)...but there is a chance that all legit LT's will be off the board in the first round...Williams and Otah would be great but are unlikely. Albert is a possibility and may be able to play LG this year and move to LT next year...but he is also getting alot of attention and some team ahead of us may reach for him since the next most talented guard is ranked as a third rounder.

Safeties can be found on the second day

DL is a possibility but only Harvey and Merling seem to be the only 3-4 DE's who rate a 1st round grade (other than Long) and they will go early. Jackson is also a possibility but has some red flags.

WR is a position that HAS to be looked at on the first day with a full 74% of starting WR's in the draft being picked up in the first three rounds. Players like Colston are the exception to the rule. If there is a quality OL or DL available that rank equal with a WR...we would go with the lineman...but those that rank high enough, may be gone. As far as WR's there are several first rounders that may be available...including Kelly...Sweed...or Hardy, who would give Ben the Big Reciever that he has publicly asked for. We can mark Hardy off due to off-field issues

CB is also a premium position but is close enough to Wr that the depth of CB in this draft and the fact that traditionally a quality CB can be found all the way until the 4th round...may lead us to wait and still get a possible future starter in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

FB's are usually not even looked at until the 4th round and none this year rate higher thatn that pick... a 5th-UDFA pick is more likely.

The way I see it is that at #23 these are the players we would take. (In this order of talent/importance)

1) Chris Williams
2) Jeff Otah
3) Phillip Merling
4) Brandon Albert
5) Derrick Harvey
6) Limas Sweed
7) Malcolm Kelly
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #35
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
DL is a possibility but only Harvey and Merling seem to be the only 3-4 DE's who rate a 1st round grade (other than Long) and they will go early. Jackson is also a possibility but has some red flags.
LLT, I don't think you can catagorize Harvey and Merling as 3-4 DEs. Both are under 280lbs and have never dealt with the double teams they would see at 3-4DE. I would say the only DL prospect in the 1st for us would be Balmer.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #36
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
LLT, I don't think you can catagorize Harvey and Merling as 3-4 DEs. Both are under 280lbs and have never dealt with the double teams they would see at 3-4DE. I would say the only DL prospect in the 1st for us would be Balmer.

Both have rare strength which would allow them to take on the double team...and Harvey has gained 15 lbs, though probably needs to add another 15.....Kiesel only weighs 285.

Quote:
Merling has been extremely productive on the football field and has the entire repertoire of pass rushing moves. At close to 280 pounds he also has the girth to hold up against the run. The other thing that makes him attractive to the NFL is his size and strength will allow him to play end in either a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense.http://www.nfl-draft-site.com/2008/0...-for-2008.html
Quote:
The NFL Network reported that Derrick Harvey weighed in at 291 pounds. This was an error they failed to correct after two days, however, as he is officially listed at 271. Still, Harvey's a mid-first round pick, as he looked solid at the combine.
Suited for the 3-4. Harvey, a monstrous pass rusher, sacked Troy Smith twice in the BCS Championship. Collected 11 sacks in 2006. Considered by some as a better pro prospect than Jarvis Moss, who was drafted No. 17. http://walterfootball.com/draft2008DE.php
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote